Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
Interesting. I just heard from my service rep at FoNE that Afla is building a new dealership right next to FoNE. Now I suppose it's local and privately owned by current franchise owner who does NOT own FoNE but it's a cool development. There may be a bidding war if Alfa is sold. FoNE has Maserati already. I have thought all this time that the complaints about service and atmosphere at Afla-Maser vs. Alfa-Fiat dealerships was overblown. But all of this is happening relatively quickly where the new Afla-Fiat shops haven't had a chance to tool up well. Maybe Alfa is deciding this is a better way to handle it? If so, the owners of FoNE and Central AF may get into a bidding war. But it's appears to me that FoNE is looking at retirement and philanthropy so may just focus on Ferrari-Maserati. Location and coverage is also an issue. We have 4 Alfa dealerships in the Boston metro area. 2 paired with Maserati. 1 paired with Fiat.

·
Registered
3,313 Posts
John, that assumes Alfa doesn't go with Jeep to Great Wall (I'd love to see Sergio's non-PC take on an Alfa is a W-P car regarding this one). Jaguar is Indian owned Tata, and of course Volvo is Chinese.
Interesting world we live in.

·
Registered
869 Posts
No more interesting than when Ford owned all of them. VW owns most of the car brands these days. Hyundai and Kia are the same company. Toyota and Mazda are in bed now as is Subaru. Nissan and Renault have a strategic alliance. Most car manufactures have combined to weather one market and lower engineering costs. ****, Mazda makes Fiat's cars.

Tata is the largest vehicle manufacturer on Earth (if you include all those scooters and Harleys) so they could do very interesting things with any car company.

·
Registered
646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Interestingly, both Volvo and Jaguar Land Rover are much better products than in prior years because of the commitments and care made by the foreign owners.

·
Registered
5,016 Posts
Yeah Yeah Yeah

this rumor has been floating around since....ohhh Marchionne mentioned they were shopping for a "partner"...
IF it does happen however, that is correct Alfa & Maserati are NOT part of the deal, they will fall under the Ferrari family.
Some people have speculated that was one of the reasons Ferrari was spun off to begin with....add that that the holding company of EXOR ie Agnelli family is the majority holder...those premium brands will not go to the Chinese...
besides they really just want the Jeep brand....

·
Registered
869 Posts
Interestingly, both Volvo and Jaguar Land Rover are much better products than in prior years because of the commitments and care made by the foreign owners.
The Brits know how to make a beautiful coach, but mechanically and as a car they were junk.

I remember Volvo always being pretty good. I guess I'll have to go reread some of the older data...

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
Yeah and quality control. We'll see what happens. I remember how awesome it was when Lotus returned to F1 under Fernandez only to be sued by the punk CEO who could have cared less until Fernandez ponied up the cash and the fans went wild. The green and yellow livery was awesome but as a 3rd tier team they faded fast. Tata sponsored the team and owned Lotus cars so it was weird. But in in the early days, Chapman set the f1 team separate from the road cars so as to avoid catastrophe in either one. So the f1 team was independent when Fernadez bought the rights. Anyway... in relation to Alfa, especially after building the new plant in Cassino, I find it hard to believe they will end up in China. Same with Jeep, but the Chinese definitely love the Jeeps. Mazda was 1/3 owned by Ford when the crisis hit and they sold Mazda off to avoid a bailout. Mazda is in partnership with FIat on the Fiata 124/MX-5. That was supposed to be Alfa! So much of the industry is cross sourced and partnered up, it's as if the car companies are now parts companies. We'll see what happens but I really thought the brand was digging deep for Italy and the national economy. It wasn't so long ago countries were defaulting on debt. I hope the Italians will still build cars. I wonder about the car industries in relation to Africa and the Middle East. They don't build cars out there but want to have the best like Ferrari and Mercedes. They can already get Toyota pick up trucks. What will be the difference between Aflas and Toyotas if they go to China? Watch the films of the Alfa Cassino plant in action. Sell it off already? I doubt it.

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
Boom!

this rumor has been floating around since....ohhh Marchionne mentioned they were shopping for a "partner"...
IF it does happen however, that is correct Alfa & Maserati are NOT part of the deal, they will fall under the Ferrari family.
Some people have speculated that was one of the reasons Ferrari was spun off to begin with....add that that the holding company of EXOR ie Agnelli family is the majority holder...those premium brands will not go to the Chinese...
besides they really just want the Jeep brand....
Thanks Mdriver. You nailed it. Also, hyping up the brand to sell off in an IPO raises more capital, just like with Ferrari. I think that was the point in the first place. Helps pay for the buyout of Chrysler as well.

Reactions: Alfaholico

·
Registered
869 Posts
Well, if you look at Tata and Harley the Chinese/Italians could do something similar. Partner on one vehicle. This allows the outside brand to gain traction in unfamiliar territory with some guidance and allows the partner company to have name/brand recognition. Sure, you can now buy the Indian Harley in the US but Harley outsourced so much of the risk here its win-win.

I could see Alfa doing the same. Keep the "sport oriented" cars in Italy and try to make more luxury oriented cars for China. After all, Buick does most of its business here due to how German cars are perceived by the common person. Not sure Italian cars would carry the stigma as they have very little market penetration. I doubt Alfa would be allowed to leave Italy in total as you said, as that would be a big blow to the economy. It's kinda like Samsung and Hyundai/Kia for South Korea. Those 3 companies are like the lion's portion of the GDP in SK.

·
Registered
3,313 Posts
true enough - I've still got Fiat stock from the days of a rumored ALFA partnership with GM, who were supposedly after small engine expertise, and Alfas would be sold through the GM dealership network.
Silly of me to think Alfa would ever be partnered with a US company haha

·
Registered
440 Posts
Ill wait until it happens, until them all rumor mill as well as smoke and mirrors lol
And what is even more laughable is the posts (other threads) they will be built in China.

That won't happen in my lifetime.

As posted above, it'll be the Jeep brand products that's for sale, if anything.

·
Registered
2020 Alfa Romeo Giulia Sport Ti AWD
7,437 Posts
And what is even more laughable is the posts (other threads) they will be built in China.
I heard someone joke (probably nervously) that the Chinese can't even pronounce Alfa Romeo so how can they possibly build them?

·
Registered
2018 Q4 with Fiamenghi Ti exhaust, Race Mod, and Tecnico wheels.
7,715 Posts
I heard someone joke (probably nervously) that the Chinese can't even pronounce Alfa Romeo so how can they possibly build them?
I can confirm that most native Japanese cannot pronounce Alfa Romeo; I dunno about Chinese. Japanese have extreme difficulty with the "L" and "R" sounds found in European languages. I know some native Chinese speakers have difficulty distinguishing "Mazda" from "Mustang" when I speak. OTOH, I cannot pronounce the common Chinese name that is spelled in English as "June" (clue: it does not sound at all like english June).

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
Hehe, I've studied a little Japanese and Chinese. Have more experience with Chinese Mandarin from Shaolin Kung Fu. The Pinyin Roman characters differ widely in transliteration! It's like two schools of thought or more.

Anyway, I think there is even more comedy in the people who bought shares of Ferrari thinking they may have a voice in the brand or something, when all they really did was contribute some capital. I am also surprised how quickly FCA moved from buyout to sell off with talk about Alfa and Maserati. If it goes the same way as Ferrari, Sergio might do quite well with the other two brands. Put a strong performance in F1 on top of that and things could be pretty rosy.
I just saw an ad for the new Ferrari Portofino. It's like a new front engine V8 beyond the CaliT. Not a V6 Dino although that may be in the pipeline.

·
Registered
5,016 Posts
Hehe, I've studied a little Japanese and Chinese. Have more experience with Chinese Mandarin from Shaolin Kung Fu. The Pinyin Roman characters differ widely in transliteration! It's like two schools of thought or more.

Anyway, I think there is even more comedy in the people who bought shares of Ferrari thinking they may have a voice in the brand or something, when all they really did was contribute some capital. I am also surprised how quickly FCA moved from buyout to sell off with talk about Alfa and Maserati. If it goes the same way as Ferrari, Sergio might do quite well with the other two brands. Put a strong performance in F1 on top of that and things could be pretty rosy.
I just saw an ad for the new Ferrari Portofino. It's like a new front engine V8 beyond the CaliT. Not a V6 Dino although that may be in the pipeline.
Ferrari stock comedy????.....John, the stock has given a 137% return on investment, it is trading at 137/share...today..not too shabby. I don't own equities thinking I am going to vote at the annual shareholders meeting and GOD I hope people don't invest in equities for that reason...name isn't ICHAN, ACKMAN or any of the other good old boys....

I believe that spinning off Ferrari was the sensible way to get it out from FCA, knowing that FCA would be partnering OR selling itself to another concern....and as long as there is an Agnelli family member alive....I doubt Ferrari will ever be other than an Italian company....Lambo is not as iconic as the prancing horse....

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
Haha, right. It is a nice return. Comedy wasn't the right word. Melodrama is more like it but it did nicely. I asked my broker at the time and he said you had to be in with certain banks to really have a shot but that wasn't entirely true. I am glad I didn't buy Snapchat. FB would have been nice too, or AMZN.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts