Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering what the actual weight distribution is, where does the marketing speak start and end?

Is it 51:49, is it 53:47... I don't expect it to be 50:50 when marketing says 'near perfect'.

If it was 50:50, they'd just say that, rather than disguise whatever the actual figures are.

The Alfa demigod of Mac, do even you know the answer to this one?

Cheers

·
Registered
2018 Q4 with Fiamenghi Ti exhaust, Race Mod, and Tecnico wheels.
7,729 Posts
I think RacerZ measured 50.5/49.5 front/rear but the scale he used made the accuracy only about 0.5%
He has a Q2. A Q4 will be heavier with all of the additional weight going in the front. Different installed options might throw it off a small amount too.
The amount of fuel in the tank will definitely throw it off, by up to several percent in the extreme cases of full tank versus empty.
A driver inside will also change it.

Anyway, close enough to 50-50 for government work.

·
Registered
167 Posts
They also originally stated the car weighed 1515 kg for manual. But it was later found to be more like 1580kg...

·
Registered
2018 Q4 with Fiamenghi Ti exhaust, Race Mod, and Tecnico wheels.
7,729 Posts
They also originally stated the car weighed 1515 kg for manual. But it was later found to be more like 1580kg...
I believe they originally said about 1360kg for the 2.0T and RacerZ measured 1610kg, a pretty big gap. I do not know if Euro versions are lighter.

However, the 50-50 distribution appears to be pretty accurate.

·
Registered
423 Posts
This.

Leave it to marketing!

Hey, I'm a sucker for marketing, just don't make the mistake of thinking you're getting the whole truth!

Maybe weight quote was without fluids...only a white lie!

As far as weight distribution...I think the QV and the rest of the competitive set is a bit off off 50/50. What they SHOULD describe is neutral chassis balance. This is an important characteristic for handling/driving dynamics. QV & ATS-V are best in class...hence, most fun-to-drive.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Just wondering what the actual weight distribution is, where does the marketing speak start and end?

Is it 51:49, is it 53:47... I don't expect it to be 50:50 when marketing says 'near perfect'.

If it was 50:50, they'd just say that, rather than disguise whatever the actual figures are.

The Alfa demigod of Mac, do even you know the answer to this one?

Cheers
Hi. I respectfully call this weight distribution bullshit. While on the move the slightest throttle input shifts the weight distribution. So specific numbers are irrelevant except for marketing brouchures. Fuel level and driver's weight messes it up. Ideally a rwd car should be 40:60. An FR layout makes it difficult to achieve and they try their best. I guess anywhere between 50 to 60 at the rear would be acceptably termed as decent weight distribution for an FR.

·
Premium Member
2018 Giulia QF
259 Posts
Lots of digging up old threads at the moment..
Right? And it's from first time posters bashing the brand. I'm guessing it's loyalist to other brands attempting to bring Alfa's status down when people Google search because their unfounded bashing pops up in the results say if you were to search 50/50 weight distribution.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Here's why it's interesting to me as a potential buyer. As an RWD which will be a daily on metro NYC plowed roads in the winter, it's good to know there's some mass over the drive axle. With winter tires and this generally balanced weighting, I'd have no second thoughts about putting in out there on plowed roads.

·
Premium Member
2018 Giulia QF
259 Posts
Here's why it's interesting to me as a potential buyer. As an RWD which will be a daily on metro NYC plowed roads in the winter, it's good to know there's some mass over the drive axle. With winter tires and this generally balanced weighting, I'd have no second thoughts about putting in out there on plowed roads.
Last year was a mild winter for the Pittsburgh region but I daily drove our QV through the winter starting in January and am doing so again this winter season. I run Sottozero Serie II tires on my winter wheels and had no control issues in snow (except for one time that was related to some loose hardware and no specifically the design of the car). I believe you are referring those times going around a turn and the rear of the car kicks out on you unexpectedly. My 1990 Nissan Maxima was terrible with this. You have to drive the car to fully get it but the Giulia’s balance is fantastic. I don’t drive mine like a race car driver but I do enjoy pushing her through turns hard at times and have yet to lose confidence in it on any road surface condition.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Hi. I respectfully call this weight distribution bullshit. While on the move the slightest throttle input shifts the weight distribution. So specific numbers are irrelevant except for marketing brouchures. Fuel level and driver's weight messes it up. Ideally a rwd car should be 40:60. An FR layout makes it difficult to achieve and they try their best. I guess anywhere between 50 to 60 at the rear would be acceptably termed as decent weight distribution for an FR.
Uhhh.... This is a very incorrect opinion/statement. Weight distribution is very important. Period. We would not go thru the lengths of corner balancing and weight redistribution. 50/50 is ideal for NEUTRAL cornering dynamics with a FR car.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts