Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Banned
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Today, it is reported that his coma and condition is irreversible and that he has lung cancer. What really hit home to me is yesterday it was reported that during the 66 year old's shoulder surgery they ran into complications from "A disease emanating from his Prostate". I don't mean to get on a soapbox at his expense. But, I have spent the last year and a half fighting Prostate cancer that had spread. I, just finished 5 day a week for 2 months of radiation therapy. The chronic diarrhea, nausea, and fatigue associated with the radiation is like having the flu for two months. Not Fun. I, also had to endure surgery, chemo, and hormone therapy. All of which have very unpleasant side effects. There is a lesson in prevention in Sergio and my experiences and I hope you learn from them.
I spent 40 years as a professional firefighter and paramedic and 4 years as a military medic. Not, being a fan of the fickle finger of fate. I relied on PSA (Prostate Specific Antigen) tests. I was given a book by the Dr. at the time of my diagnoses after having a biopsy done of my Prostate. What I did NOT know, even with my medical background is that if the cancer is bad enough it is NOT unusual for not to produce the antigens for the test and can read low or even zero. Prostate cancer is measured for aggression on a "Gleason Scale" of 1-10 with 10 being the worse. I was diagnosed with a Gleason score of 8. When, I had my surgery they excised 24 Lymph nodes to biopsy. Some of them came back with Gleason 9 scores. Which meant it was spreading and rattling around in there. When, I first went to my Dr. for the blood in the urine, he did do the fickle finger of fate. But, felt no lumps. The reason was the whole thing was cancer and it had migrated to the surrounding tissue. I am writing this to urge all of the guys out there to take this issue seriously and not to make my mistake and relay on a sporadic PSA test alone.

Don't feel sorry for me. I played the sympathy card with the wife and played it very well. Got my Guilia out of it!:grin2:

·
Registered
443 Posts
Today, it is reported that his coma and condition is irreversible and that he has lung cancer. What really hit home to me is yesterday it was reported that during the 66 year old's shoulder surgery they ran into complications from "A disease emanating from his Prostate". I don't mean to get on a soapbox at his expense. But, I have spent the las year and a half fighting Prostate cancer that had spread. I, just finished 5 day a week for 2 months of radiation therapy. The chronic diarrhea, nausea, and fatigue associated with the radiation is like having the flu for two months. Not Fun. I, also had to endure surgery, chemo, and hormone therapy. All of which have very unpleasant side effects. There is a lesson in prevention in Sergio and my experiences and I hope you learn from them.
I spent 40 years as a professional firefighter and paramedic and 4 years as a military medic. Not, being a fan of the fickle finger of fate. I relied on PSA (Prostate Specific Antigen) tests. I was given a book by the Dr. at the time of my diagnoses after having a biopsy done of my Prostate. What I did NOT know, even with my medical background is that if the cancer is bad enough it is NOT unusual for not to produce the antigens for the test and can read low or even zero. Prostate cancer is measured on a "Gleason Scale" of 1-10 with 10 being the worse. I was diagnosed with a Gleason score of 8. When, I had my surgery they excised 24 Lymph nodes to biopsy. Some of them came back with Gleason 9 scores. Which meant it was spreading and rattling around in there. When, I first went to my Dr. for the blood in the urine, he did do the fickle finger of fate. But, felt no lumps. The reason was the whole thing was cancer and it had migrated to the surrounding tissue. I am writing this to urge all of the guys out there to take this issue seriously and not to make my mistake and relay on a sporadic PSA test alone.

Don't feel sorry for me. I played the sympathy card with the wife and played it very well. Got my Guilia out of it!:grin2:
Very nice post. Glad you're here to share it!

·
Registered
858 Posts
Thanks for sharing your experience MiaScusi. I guess I sort of "lucked out" when about 3-1/2 years ago my PSA had elevated to 4.7 (was previously 2.7 12 months prior), during a routine physical. Anyway, to cut a very long story very short, after a biopsy, showed that I had Cancer, I was given various options including different types of radiation therapy and surgery. Went for the surgery (a Radical Prostectomy), which went well and that was 3 years ago....
I too treated myself to a new Giulia this year :). I can only back up your message to urge male members especially those over 50 to get tested regularly as this is an extremely common form of Cancer.
You only live once, make the most of it :grin2:

·
Registered
469 Posts
MiaScusi, I hope that the chemo and therapy does the trick and that you have many years to enjoy your Giulia and la famiglia. -Thanks for the sober words. (I was a volunteer fire fighter in the Chicago area and received some training at the CFD academy and would ride out with a Squad crew on DesPlaines in the city). I wonder if the exposure to all those carcinogens you were exposed to at fires contributed to your disease, or even the time in the Navy---We used to go in fires w/o any respirators and in my time in the USNR there was scant attention to any personal or enviormental concerns.)...Buona fortuna per te!

·
Banned
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
MiaScusi, I hope that the chemo and therapy does the trick and that you have many years to enjoy your Giulia and la famiglia. -Thanks for the sober words. (I was a volunteer fire fighter in the Chicago area and received some training at the CFD academy and would ride out with a Squad crew on DesPlaines in the city). I wonder if the exposure to all those carcinogens you were exposed to at fires contributed to your disease, or even the time in the Navy---We used to go in fires w/o any respirators and in my time in the USNR there was scant attention to any personal or enviormental concerns.)...Buona fortuna per te!
To be honest, I fully expected to get some form of cancer from my job. It seems that over half of the guys I worked with ended up with some form of it. It is well documented that we are above incidents of it from all the toxins we are exposed to over the years. After, the military (USAF) I started my career with the Washington DC fire department. Back then, we were stupid and macho. A "real" fireman ate smoke. IDIOTS! Thanks, for your service. It takes a special person to do the job for free.

·
Banned
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for sharing your experience MiaScusi. I guess I sort of "lucked out" when about 3-1/2 years ago my PSA had elevated to 4.7 (was previously 2.7 12 months prior), during a routine physical. Anyway, to cut a very long story very short, after a biopsy, showed that I had Cancer, I was given various options including different types of radiation therapy and surgery. Went for the surgery (a Radical Prostectomy), which went well and that was 3 years ago....
I too treated myself to a new Giulia this year :). I can only back up your message to urge male members especially those over 50 to get tested regularly as this is an extremely common form of Cancer.
You only live once, make the most of it :grin2:
Glad it worked out for you. The cancer diagnoses gives you two options. Wallow, in despair and sorrow or determine to enjoy life everyday. I chose the latter. Hence, the Giulia. Still feeling the side effects from the radiation. But, looking forward to a road trip to New England and Nova Scotia very, very soon. We have been taking an annual road trip every Oct. for the USGP in Austin every year. We follow the Mississippi river on the Great River road down to New Orleans for a few days then over to San Antonio (the wife loves the river walk) then to Austin. Always stop in Memphis for Ribs and Blues on Beale St. Just so not want to wait that long to enjoy the Guilia.

·
Registered
647 Posts
I just now got thru opening a my chart message from my doctor and recent annual physical. I'll soon be 74 and my PSA was 7.63. Guess I'm on my way to see the oncologist. I think my timing is off. :frown2: :grin2:

Thoughts and prayers for Mr. Marchionne.

·
Registered
858 Posts
JuliaQ4-Nut - I truly hope it's a false alarm (PSA readings are notorious for being misleading). Good luck and wishing only the best for you :|

Reactions: Alfaholico

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
God bless you and good luck in the fight. Prostate cancer took my Dad in 1989. i have the PSA test done every 6 months but after reading your post I am going to ask for more definitive testing. Thank you for enlightening me.

Reactions: Alfaholico
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.