Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
694 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alfa Romeo USA had their best month ever in March 2018.
Alfa Romeo brand sales of 2,576 vehicles were up significantly compared with the same month a year ago. Giulia led the brand with 1,284 sales followed by Stelvio at 1,270 vehicles.
See this post.
The best month up to this point was December 2017 with 2034 vehicles sold.

·
Registered
2020 Alfa Romeo Giulia Sport Ti AWD
8,116 Posts
When comes the month when either Giulia or Stelvio alone outsells Fiat?

·
Registered
694 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
When comes the month when either Giulia or Stelvio alone outsells Fiat?
Sales of Fiat declined 47 percent to 1,544 vehicles.
So Alfa brand is outselling the Fiat brand, but neither Giulia or Stelvio by itself is outselling the Fiat Brand, yet.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Interesting the Stelvio isn't selling significantly more than the Giulia.

I believe that was AR's reasoning to launch to Giulia first. Get the North American consumers interested with the brand again via the Giulia and then wham! hit 'em with the Stelivo SUV which is a very significant segment (SUVs) in the North America.

Either way, glad they are still selling, and growing in sales.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Alfa needs better marketing. They need open test drive events - send out invitations to everyone who requested brochures, buy the mailing lists for BMW and Audi car club members and send them invites, etc. It takes alot to start a new brand.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I was one of them

I was one of the march sales

Still a long way to go to audi/BMW levels, but its progressing.

I agree on driving events. Once you drive an alfa you are FAR more likely to consider&buy than if you haven't. I drove one because the dealer was nearby and I wanted to feel I'd done my due diligence on trying all alternatives, I never expected it would be so good it would overcome all the resale/reliability unknowns, and knock out all the competition too.

A lot of manufacturers do driving events at local racetracks or in the carparks of big venues. A tent and autocross course is usually set up, with road drives too. It must work.

Id also say get out there with a couple of cars per location/night and tackle the valet line at a nice restaurant (italian or other) someone pulls up in a BMW, would you like a go in our alfa? right here right now, for 5 mins. Audi had a campaign like that back in the early 2000s. Theve gone from 25k/yr in the US back in the 90s to 200+ now.

·
Registered
402 Posts
Alfa needs better marketing. They need open test drive events - send out invitations to everyone who requested brochures, buy the mailing lists for BMW and Audi car club members and send them invites, etc. It takes alot to start a new brand.
You are 100% correct, but for whatever reason FCA is not up to the challenge. Imagine having an open test drive event at some of the dealers FCA gave franchises to!

But, where are the TV ads. FCA keeps pumping ads of Dodge. It's like they don't really care about Alfa.

·
Registered
402 Posts
I was one of the march sales

Still a long way to go to audi/BMW levels, but its progressing.

I agree on driving events. Once you drive an alfa you are FAR more likely to consider&buy than if you haven't. I drove one because the dealer was nearby and I wanted to feel I'd done my due diligence on trying all alternatives, I never expected it would be so good it would overcome all the resale/reliability unknowns, and knock out all the competition too.

A lot of manufacturers do driving events at local racetracks or in the carparks of big venues. A tent and autocross course is usually set up, with road drives too. It must work.

Id also say get out there with a couple of cars per location/night and tackle the valet line at a nice restaurant (italian or other) someone pulls up in a BMW, would you like a go in our alfa? right here right now, for 5 mins. Audi had a campaign like that back in the early 2000s. Theve gone from 25k/yr in the US back in the 90s to 200+ now.
Some great ideas here. FCA has displayed no desire at this point. It's really puzzling. I love the Giulia, but man, FCA makes it hard. And even if they get the sales numbers up, they will not get repeat buyers with the level of "service" so far.

·
Registered
279 Posts
It doesn't even cost that much money to run a "test drive road show". You don't do it through dealers, you have a couple of traveling road shows at select venues regionally located around the country, and they just go from location to location - one weekend to the next. A few light refreshments, some giveaways, invite people based on targeted marketing. Far more effective than some TV ads, especially when your baseline of sales is so low. Sure, it makes no sense for Toyota to do this, since the marginal sales increases from it means nothing at their sales levels - but for Alfa, you would get some good sales multipliers.

·
Registered
2018 Ti Sport Q2
1,333 Posts
I was one of the March sales. I liked the SuperBowl ad, but i dont want to see Alfa. TV commercials or Internet ads.

Alfa got a lot of good attention in the auto press. I think the best marketing is to get dealers in major metro areas to drive a red Giulia around during rush hour.

Another idea would be to sponsor/encourage some of the popular auto journos to chronicle the history of Alfa and/or Italian auto history.

Cheers

·
Registered
317 Posts
Another easy suggestion (although this applies to local dealers) is to display a few cars at the local mall with window stickers. Just gazing at the shape and seeing reasonable pricing will garner more people into the showroom to kick the tires...

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
You are 100% correct, but for whatever reason FCA is not up to the challenge. Imagine having an open test drive event at some of the dealers FCA gave franchises to!

But, where are the TV ads. FCA keeps pumping ads of Dodge. It's like they don't really care about Alfa.
Well we were not looking for a new car but they had the AR Giulia (can't remember if it was a QV or not) and Stelvio on display at a local mall. It caught our eye and I said Alfa Romeo??? When did they come back? We really liked the car but not in the market. Someday. Well someday came a lot sooner than I thought but I am keeping my fingers crossed we made the right decision and when looking at the Giulia we spotted the QV and heard it and said that is cool. So that is where the story begins. Waiting on delivery.

Long story short. It doesn't take much to catch someone's eye. Product placement is important. I would not have gone to check out an Alfa Romeo dealership since I didn't even know they existed. But having seen it at the mall we were like Wow that is a cool looking car.

·
Registered
1,783 Posts
Alfa should put cars in airport terminals. I recently went to Seattle and at the Boise airport there was a shiny Infiniti SUV in the area on the way to baggage claim. Talk about visibility. They'd probably get more exposure that way than spending millions on media ad campaigns.

·
Registered
2020 Alfa Romeo Giulia Sport Ti AWD
8,116 Posts
Alfa should put cars in airport terminals. I recently went to Seattle and at the Boise airport there was a shiny Infiniti SUV in the area on the way to baggage claim. Talk about visibility. They'd probably get more exposure that way than spending millions on media ad campaigns.
Was the french fry vending machine still at BOI? That might've distracted me from the Infiniti.

ROC often has vehicles on display, both airside and landside. DTW is one of the airports where I'd most expect to see cars and trucks in the terminal but never have. A delayed flight could become a mini car show.

·
Registered
2019 Rosso Competizione Stelvio Ti Sport Nero Edizione
653 Posts
They do work, unless . . .

It doesn't even cost that much money to run a "test drive road show". You don't do it through dealers, you have a couple of traveling road shows at select venues regionally located around the country, and they just go from location to location - one weekend to the next. A few light refreshments, some giveaways, invite people based on targeted marketing.
They absolutely work. I was invited to attend one of these test drive road shows for the Jaguar XE and for the Porsche Macan. They serve you an espresso and some bottled water, give you a key chain and have some pretty models show you around. You come away feeling good about the brand. I was all set to buy an XE until I stumbled upon the Giulia at the Chicago Auto Show.

As a side note, consistent with some of the other themes in this thread about FCA's bad marketing, in February 2017 I received a fancy invite to what sounded like one of these test drive road shows. It was being held at a dealership about an hour drive from my house. I was interested in the car, and had enjoyed the other road show events, so I made the hour drive.
When I got there, I discovered it was not an event at all. They had some balloons tied to a car on the lot (I am not joking). The dealer didn't even know what I was talking about. I showed him my "VIP Launch Event" invite and he said ok, lets go for a test ride. I was pretty disgusted and feeling scammed, but the car was so great, I got over it.
(See invite below. Sure sounds like a real launch event, dontcha think? Imagine showing up and finding NOTHING. I didn't even get my Starbucks.)

Attachments

·
Registered
526 Posts

I see ads for Alfa pretty often, surprises me I've seen so many. Mainly sporting events but not exclusively.

The run of commercials now are the ice skating tandem, probably needs to change.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts