Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a TI with sport and performance packages. One of the reasons I got it was the magnetic shocks. However, it seems that setting "soft mode" in Dynamic or switching to N or A does not alter the ride AT ALL. In fact, the suspension feels fairly soft in cornering. Anyone else experience this? Is there a way to check that the shocks are actually working right? that the settings are doing SOMETHING?

·
Registered
256 Posts
I have a TI with sport and performance packages. One of the reasons I got it was the magnetic shocks. However, it seems that setting "soft mode" in Dynamic or switching to N or A does not alter the ride AT ALL. In fact, the suspension feels fairly soft in cornering. Anyone else experience this? Is there a way to check that the shocks are actually working right? that the settings are doing SOMETHING?
I have the same setup on my car. I also cant tell any difference when i out it into soft damper mode. I always have car in D mode so not sure how suspension would differ from D. Interested to hear what others say.

·
Registered
876 Posts
I have the same setup on my car. I also cant tell any difference when i out it into soft damper mode. I always have car in D mode so not sure how suspension would differ from D. Interested to hear what others say.
I had a courtesy giulia fully loaded q4 ti with adaptive suspension, and there is really big difference in soft setting, on D and normal suspension setting car has almost no body roll, same as my rwd ti with lowering springs. so yeah i would say there is noticable difference between modes

·
Registered
332 Posts
There is a reason you are experiencing that...

Soft mode in D (if you physically press the shock button) is the same as the default settings for "A" or "N" which are not adjustable in those modes.

the harder setting as a default in "D" mode is much stiffer and really transforms the ride. The different is very very noticeable. I'm a big fan of the two settings myself.

·
Registered
316 Posts
There is a huge difference in mine. Flatter cornering, firmer ride, crisper handling. If you can't tell a difference between soft and firm while in D there may be something wrong with your car.

·
Registered
573 Posts
There is a huge difference in mine. Flatter cornering, firmer ride, crisper handling. If you can't tell a difference between soft and firm while in D there may be something wrong with your car.
Agreed. When in D you can tell the difference.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I envy you the roads that you drive. Where I live the roads are bad enough that there is no problem telling when the "soft" setting is on or off.

I obsessed for a year over whether to make the TI Performance Pack a must have on my option list. I was lucky enough to have a dealer that was patient with me and let me test drive cars back to back several times before I pulled the trigger about a month ago.

If you really want to see and feel the difference this package can make find a road that has curves with elevation changes. If you drive it aggressively it is night and day between a Giulia with or without this package. First the non-LSD cars will flash pretty lights while the ESC tries to be an electronic LSD and a stability control system, you'll feel some body roll and a bit of whoop-de-doo (technical term) as the back end goes a little light. With the mech LSD and the adaptive dampers it just devours the road. Flat, planted and ready to apply power exiting the apex. No drama. This is what made up my mind.

As always, strictly an opinion, but if you get a chance to drive them back to back on this type of terrain I think you will feel an easily distinguishable difference.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
any suggestions on what to do? i certainly feel NO difference but dealer tells me 'everything's fine'
how to get them to admit it and fix it?

·
Registered
483 Posts
For me, the difference on a non-steep turn is subtle. Feel for the high frequencies - fine road vibrations and the like come through much stronger with the car in "D+stiff".

Try switching from D+stiff ----> A a few times, with the throttle constant on a level road.

Alternately, pick a nice turn with a clear shot at it, and see if your skidpad numbers change in "A" vs "D" mode.

·
Registered
646 Posts
Drive over very low speed bumps at moderate speed with each setting and that should help you notice the difference. The soft mode will soak up the bump more.

On well maintained roads it is really tough to tell the difference without aggressive cornering.

·
Registered
'17 Ti Sport Q4 w/ Active Shocks & LSD
798 Posts
You will have no doubt that it changes the suspension feel

You can’t mistake the difference between D mode or D soft/N mode/A mode!

General driving over normal road bumps is substantially different when you engage D with the active dampers. If you’re not feeling it, there’s clearly something wrong with your car. Night and day difference.

Reactions: 19737

·
Registered
332 Posts

General driving over normal road bumps is substantially different when you engage D with the active dampers. If you’re not feeling it, there’s clearly something wrong with your car. Night and day difference.
Agreed. You can tell immediately when the setting is changed. Even in good pavement the car will feel dramatically different right away.

·
Registered
1,733 Posts
Also of course it's not "just" the damping that's changed, but the entire behaviour of the car (the dampers are not magnetic btw, but controlled by a valve)

Attachments

·
Registered
316 Posts

I agree - it isn't subtle at all. There is no need to hunt out challenging conditions to feel the difference.

any suggestions on what to do? i certainly feel NO difference but dealer tells me 'everything's fine'
how to get them to admit it and fix it?
If you can't feel a difference and your dealer insists there is nothing wrong, ask him to let you drive another car with the Performance Package.

·
Registered
483 Posts
On mine it feels subtle on most roads between D and D+stiff. The difference between D and other modes is absolutely night and day. I think that the issue gets confused because so many other things shift as well.

·
Registered
316 Posts
On mine it feels subtle on most roads between D and D+stiff. The difference between D and other modes is absolutely night and day. I think that the issue gets confused because so many other things shift as well.
Could be. And "subtle" and "not subtle" are different for different people.

·
Registered
2020 Alfa Romeo Giulia Sport Ti AWD
7,478 Posts
Drive over very low speed bumps at moderate speed with each setting and that should help you notice the difference. The soft mode will soak up the bump more.

On well maintained roads it is really tough to tell the difference without aggressive cornering.
What's a "well-maintained road"?

Reactions: 19737
1 - 20 of 24 Posts