Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner

21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
333 Posts
As someone that's been a consumer in this space for a long time and one that will probably never do a power mod to my QV I want to point out one more thing.

A dyno can be made to demonstrate anything you want. It's not nearly the quantitative test it seems to be. After years in the VW space I realized that a real dyno is about as accurate as a butt dyno. It's great guidance but nothing more. That's not me saying one shouldn't be done for this product. It's me saying it's far from critical.

For me, I agree with this, I have their ECM on my Stelvio and am very pleased with it.

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
Maybe the issue here is not having a Dyno capable of testing a Giulia, especially a Q4 as another vendor (who I won't name ) has.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Hi guys. A little late to the party here, but wanted to clarify a few things.

Dyno numbers aren't priority one on this product for us. Real world reliability, driveability, and performance is.

Without this turning into a dissertation here, a claim of "many hours testing" isn't just a claim. Before a product like our MAXPower ECM goes to market, it starts off on our personal vehicles. Once we, as a team, as a company, have put enough mileage on mapping though all the conditions we can generate on our own, we branch out to partners in the US and abroad who are willing to accept that kind of responsibility and liability. "Invite-only", if you will. This is pretty paramount to what we do, as we need to make sure that our ECM is going to deliver in ideal circumstances (93 octane, springtime in Montana), as well as adverse (questionable 91 octane in a South Florida summer). If it passes those benchmarks, we'll put a wide release on it. That's a lot of hours.

As an example: there's an intake kit we have listed on our website as "coming soon". It took a couple different prototypes to get us here. This one's seen about 2 months' worth of thrashing under my lead foot in 95+ degrees ambient. I think it's safe to start taking preorders.

Not trying to downplay the role of dyno testing by any means; as I stated in another thread, I'll 100% agree that dyno figures are the best way to be able to visualize change in hp/tq output following any sort of modification. And the key word there is visualize. I know that many users out there will only make a purchasing decision based upon quantitative evidence. We understand that. I personally can be that consumer with certain products - it's not a bad thing. But on a vehicle that doesn't like being on the dyno, it would be very easy to have substantial variation between numbers we advertise and the numbers a client achieves independently. Regardless of how or why, it typically ends up as a lose-lose situation.

We're also not in the business of getting into any sort of mudslinging, which can happen surprisingly quick when number comparisons devolve into "who's is bigger than who's". To put it simply, we offer a pretty affordable product that produces a pretty substantial change in power output. It's completely reversible - it can be uninstalled without a trace, or reverted to stock for diagnostic purposes in under a minute. Paired up with the GOPedal, it's pretty transformative.

We have a 30-day money back guarantee on both of the items in this package. Don't think the GOPedal does anything? Try it. It'll take you 10 minutes to install. Think the ECM's just smoke and mirrors? Give it a shot. Our youtube video breaks down the install process, and the Non-BT version of the ECM installs in about an hour and change with basic tools. Adaptation takes about 80 miles, but I guarantee, you'll know when it's adapted.

Over the years of doing this, I've personally met far more users who are more concerned about real world performance versus chasing numbers. Numbers are definitely a selling point, but I'm not as concerned with moving twice as many units as I am with simply sharing how much better this car plays around when you add in a couple of plug and play items. Seriously, you should feel what I feel.

I'd like to encourage you all to just reach out to me directly.

Feel free to give me a call, PM me, or shoot me an email. I've had the chance to meet quite a few of you through my inbox and in person. Happy to share what I can with you guys.

What a nice, honest and informative reply.

Giulia Veloce. Stromboli Grey, Remus catback, red calipers, HK, black sports leather, sunroof. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
443 Posts
I should have been more specific.

"Real world performance" means on-the-road performance.

Dynos readings can be manipulated and can be used to deceive.

A dyno can be used to evaluate net changes in power outputs that result from a series of modifications to an engine. However, understanding the power and torque curves generated by a series of test runs requires experience and sophisticated analysis. Useful but not sufficient.

Even rigorous controlled dyno results are not sufficient to evaluate the on-the-road impact of modifications. That's why manufacturers have test tracks.
Yes. Perfect and agreed!

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
While Dynos aren't the be all end all, if they are done consistently they offer a picture of engine power. Seat of the pants isn't a good comparison between tuning options. Are there any performance gain numbers? I haven't seen any.

·
Vendor
932 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
While Dynos aren't the be all end all, if they are done consistently they offer a picture of engine power. Seat of the pants isn't a good comparison between tuning options. Are there any performance gain numbers? I haven't seen any.
The MAXPower Engine Control Module optimizes various sensor data to significantly and safely increase the performance of your Giulia. The Module is also able to increase fuel economy by up to 10% and you can expect a gain of approximately 15-20% in HP and TQ. (depending which setting you use).

·
Registered
271 Posts
I agree with what others have said. I don't hold too much cred on the dyno info. It's just for informational purposes as "your performance may vary"

The dyno numbers are strictly a "mine is bigger than yours" talking point. I had a Mustang with a Roush perfomance pack added to it. I guarantee running it on the dyno wouldn't have got me the same figures Roush claimed. why? factors like temperature, humidity, air pressure, tire pressure etc etc will all factor in to the final figures. Change one of those things and your dyno numbers change.

How many times have we heard the manufacturer claiming a certain HP performance and the stock car is put on the dyno for a base line figure and it's not even close to the manufacturers claim.

a dyno number is basically a test tube ideal conditions number. It's nice to talk about but i don't know of anyone driving in ideal conditions.

i think you are fine with whatever setup you choose. If the dyno is your hot button go with EC or others. If the claim of real world performance is your hot button go with Madness. either way you will enjoy the upgrade. I would just be leary of anyone selling a significant HP upgrade with a tune. That won't happen. 20-40 Hp ? sure anything more than that i'm skeptical.

just my 2 cents.

·
Vendor
932 Posts
Discussion Starter #28 (Edited)
Ready to safely increase the power and feel of your Alfa Romeo Giulia? Purchase our most popular Power Pack Upgrade for the Alfa Romeo Giulia and save even more!

This pack includes the MADNESS MAXPower Engine Control Module and the MADNESS GOPedal. Both items are designed to plug right in and deliver improved power and response. Wake up your Alfa Romeo Giulia 2.0L with this Power Pack and save!

Don't just take our word for it, here is a review from Ed Duenas.

"I have installed the GoPedal and the Max Power with Bluetooth and I have to say. The Car feels amazing. Feels like a truely performance Vehicle with these Mods. Each setting gives performance. I love the unit but I notice sometimes I have to relink my BlueTooth. I wish it would link up automatically. But man does the car move. I love having the control of being able to switch from Eco to Sport Plus. I liked my car when I bought it but now I love it. Thank you MADNESS and Staff."
More information and pricing can be found on our website
https://madnessautoworks.com/alfa-romeo-giulia-20l-madness-power-pack-stage-1-pid7423

Let us know if you have any questions

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
I agree with what others have said. I don't hold too much cred on the dyno info. It's just for informational purposes as "your performance may vary"

The dyno numbers are strictly a "mine is bigger than yours" talking point. I had a Mustang with a Roush perfomance pack added to it. I guarantee running it on the dyno wouldn't have got me the same figures Roush claimed. why? factors like temperature, humidity, air pressure, tire pressure etc etc will all factor in to the final figures. Change one of those things and your dyno numbers change.

How many times have we heard the manufacturer claiming a certain HP performance and the stock car is put on the dyno for a base line figure and it's not even close to the manufacturers claim.

a dyno number is basically a test tube ideal conditions number. It's nice to talk about but i don't know of anyone driving in ideal conditions.

i think you are fine with whatever setup you choose. If the dyno is your hot button go with EC or others. If the claim of real world performance is your hot button go with Madness. either way you will enjoy the upgrade. I would just be leary of anyone selling a significant HP upgrade with a tune. That won't happen. 20-40 Hp ? sure anything more than that i'm skeptical.

just my 2 cents.
EC brought in engineers from Italy to set up their Dyno that's capable of testing the Q4. They got the same power numbers as Alfa did on their dyno. Their Phase 2 tune is about to be released which should bring the hp up to 400. That's what I'm waiting for. i just can't believe dyno testing isn't important being that every major autosport team does it.

·
Registered
333 Posts
EC brought in engineers from Italy to set up their Dyno that's capable of testing the Q4. They got the same power numbers as Alfa did on their dyno. Their Phase 2 tune is about to be released which should bring the hp up to 400. That's what I'm waiting for. i just can't believe dyno testing isn't important being that every major autosport team does it.
I realize these engines are pretty good, but 400 hp from a listed 280hp. Just makes me wonder how reliable will it be over the log haul. I also know there are many out there know a lot more than I when it comes to things like this, but still.

·
Registered
443 Posts
I realize these engines are pretty good, but 400 hp from a listed 280hp. Just makes me wonder how reliable will it be over the log haul. I also know there are many out there know a lot more than I when it comes to things like this, but still.
I ran about a 40% increase with my VW for 70k+ miles. I went through clutches like there was no tomorrow but everything else was great. Just stay on top of that maintenance.

·
Registered
271 Posts
i don't disagree with you. I'm sure the Dyno numbers are accurate. What i'm saying is just because they got 400 hp on their Dyno with their car and their tune doesn't mean you will achieve 400hp on a different dyno with YOUR car and THEIR tune unless you can recreate the exact same testing conditions. I understand what you are saying though about having some numbers to go on. I think Madness quotes 10-15% increase in horsepower which would bring the stock Giulia to about 330 hp and 360 tq.

For me where the madness ECM shines is the shifting. The ECM combined with the autoflash make the shifts smooth as silk.

the above are the numbers i use when someone asks me about HP.

as i posted in a different thread...running down the highway a few days ago coming up behind a Mustang GT stock which has around 400HP, throwing it into dynamic mode he took off i took off and and i stayed in his back pocket literally for two miles. So much so that he pulled over a lane and waited for me to pull next to me and made a motion like he was tipping his cap. That's is all i care about is having a chuckle every now and then. Unless you are tracking or dragging the car the rest of it to me isn't important.

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
EC brought in engineers from Italy to set up their Dyno that's capable of testing the Q4. They got the same power numbers as Alfa did on their dyno.
Not so sure.. power to the wheel (stock) was 230. The engine power of 273 is just an estimate...

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
Listen, go on their website and see for yourself.

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
Listen, go on their website and see for yourself.
I did. The graph shows 230 at the wheels which is the only real measure, crank power is an estimate.
I'm not saying the values are wrong, just that they are a little lower than what Alfa claims... which is fine, even though I would have preferred the other way around.

·
Vendor
932 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
i don't disagree with you. I'm sure the Dyno numbers are accurate. What i'm saying is just because they got 400 hp on their Dyno with their car and their tune doesn't mean you will achieve 400hp on a different dyno with YOUR car and THEIR tune unless you can recreate the exact same testing conditions. I understand what you are saying though about having some numbers to go on. I think Madness quotes 10-15% increase in horsepower which would bring the stock Giulia to about 330 hp and 360 tq.

For me where the madness ECM shines is the shifting. The ECM combined with the autoflash make the shifts smooth as silk.

the above are the numbers i use when someone asks me about HP.

as i posted in a different thread...running down the highway a few days ago coming up behind a Mustang GT stock which has around 400HP, throwing it into dynamic mode he took off i took off and and i stayed in his back pocket literally for two miles. So much so that he pulled over a lane and waited for me to pull next to me and made a motion like he was tipping his cap. That's is all i care about is having a chuckle every now and then. Unless you are tracking or dragging the car the rest of it to me isn't important.
The MAXPower is designed to give you a 15-20% increase in horsepower and torque. The most important part to remember about the MAXPower is that it delivers most of the power in the midrange, not the top-end. Because most of us do not drive with our cars near redline. So the power delivered from the MAXPower is actually useable power on your drive to work, to the grocery store, or the car show.

That is what we were after when we designed the MAXPower useable, every day, real-world gains. We could go after that high-end power but when you do that you generally sacrifice the low-end and you'll only ever feel the gains on a track.

·
Vendor
932 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
Not feeling quite satisfied with the power and response of your Alfa Romeo Giulia? Our Stage 1 Pack is designed to help with that!

By combining two of our most popular and reviewed products into one pack, the MAXPower ECM and GOPedal, we are able to offer them to you for even less than buying separately!

The MAXPower is designed to give your Giulia a solid 15-20% increase in horsepower and torque in the useable, 2-4k RPM, range. Unlike other tunes and ECMs that chase peak horse-power ours is designed to generate useable day to day power. This is the kind of power increase you will feel on your daily drive to work.

The GOPedal is an interface that installs between the throttle pedal and the ECU. Once installed it changes or remaps the signal from the throttle to the ECU. To put it simply, what the ECU used to see as 20% throttle input could now be 30% or 40%. Additionally, with the Bluetooth version, you can program your own set of maps on top of the ones we have already loaded. Allowing you to find that perfect sweet spot for your vehicle and your driving style.

More information and pricing can be found on our website
https://madnessautoworks.com/alfa-romeo-giulia-20l-madness-power-pack-stage-1-pid7423

Let us know if you have any questions

·
Registered
219 Posts
Just ordered for my Giulia and Stelvio on Saturday--can't wait to get it installed!

21 - 38 of 38 Posts