Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner

41 - 60 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
417 Posts
The springs fit the Q4 perfectly. Took less than 4 hours to install. Really takes care of that AWD wheel gap. The ride is a bit stiffer (and less forgiving over bumps), but handling is improved. They are well worth the 199$.
Do you have the performance package? How is the ride in soft vs firm?

·
Registered
39 Posts
Do you have the performance package? How is the ride in soft vs firm?
No active suspension. I had it in soft this morning and it was more forgiving.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Thanks, would love to hear more details on your thoughts after a week or so playing between soft and firm.

Lowering springs on the q4 with active suspension has been hotly debated and I think you're the first person to have done this.

·
Registered
5,999 Posts
If you can select soft versus firm you have what Alfa calls active suspension. Beyond the rather simple user control, the damping rate is varied dynamically. The computer expects a specific spring rate and there is potential for the suspension to become unstable under some conditions when the spring rate is altered. I do not know if changing the suspension height also has potential to cause problems.

Try turning aggressively into a high-g turn. The active suspension is supposed to prevent any rebound as the body rolls (true active suspension would prevent body roll, but that isn't what Giulia has...). If it has stability issues it might 1) roll slowly, destabilizing steering during the turn, OR 2) bounce repeatedly as it rolls, destabilizing everything. I would expect the installation of stiffer springs would cause 2), since the computer would not be asserting enough damping for the stiffer springs. Of course the stiffer springs should translate into less total body roll.

·
Vendor
995 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
The springs fit the Q4 perfectly. Took less than 4 hours to install. Really takes care of that AWD wheel gap. The ride is a bit stiffer (and less forgiving over bumps), but handling is improved. They are well worth the 199$.

Thank you BobM for taking a chance and installing and thank you for taking the time to post pics.

Someone in this thread asked about how the springs are on a base Giulia as well. We have a base Giulia that is now on our MADNESS springs and a set of custom 20" Vossen Wheels. No issues with rubbing of any kind and we have went ahead and gone with a very aggressive set up. Ride is fine as well. Here are a couple of pics of the base Giulia as a reference.

·
Registered
187 Posts
I like low and all but the front seems way to low in relation to the rear and just looks a bit too "slammed". I would like to see it on the 19s but don't think that will change anything since the 20s almost look tucked in the front.

·
Registered
319 Posts
I like low and all but the front seems way to low in relation to the rear and just looks a bit too "slammed". I would like to see it on the 19s but don't think that will change anything since the 20s almost look tucked in the front.
Agreed - front would look perfect if similar to the rear. I'm trying to hold out for coilovers, but that seems quite a long wait as the QV/Q2 will have something developed first, before the Q4. That may give me just enough time to get thru winter and see how the car behaves in snow at current height.

·
Vendor
995 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
Agreed - front would look perfect if similar to the rear. I'm trying to hold out for coilovers, but that seems quite a long wait as the QV/Q2 will have something developed first, before the Q4. That may give me just enough time to get thru winter and see how the car behaves in snow at current height.
We will have coil overs in stock next month! They have been in the works for some time now and are being finished up this week. More info to come very soon!

As an FYI.. The rear has to sit a tad bit higher so you can put people in the back along with putting things in the trunk and not bottoming out and rubbing. Some angles a bit misleading, but from having ours on and also Eibachs on before, our version sits more level.

·
Vendor
995 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
Here a couple more pics. Please keep in mind that the pics are of the Giulia with 20" wheels with an aggressive offset. No rubbing at all no matter how aggressive we have driven. We have also put 4 people in the car with no issues.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Springs....

I am so highly satisfied with the handling and ride quality of my Giulia, I would not be a consumer for these lowering springs. While it might look a bit sportier, I wouldn't want to mess with Alfa's research and development on such a product. I do like the carbon fiber mirror covers shown on this car however. Do they simply go 'over the top' of the factory mirrors? Or....does one have to remove the factory mirror covers in order to install these carbon ones?

·
Vendor
995 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
are those 30 or 35 tires?
They are 30's in the front and 25's in the back. Surprisingly the car rides pretty nice. Lowering it, putting on 20's and doing a 30/25 set up had us a bit concerned at first, but once we installed them and started to drive the car it became a non issue. Everyone that has been in the car has been surprised on how good it handles, how good the ride is and how it still has good clearance for as low as it looks to sit.

·
Vendor
995 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
I am so highly satisfied with the handling and ride quality of my Giulia, I would not be a consumer for these lowering springs. While it might look a bit sportier, I wouldn't want to mess with Alfa's research and development on such a product. I do like the carbon fiber mirror covers shown on this car however. Do they simply go 'over the top' of the factory mirrors? Or....does one have to remove the factory mirror covers in order to install these carbon ones?
Doing a spring upgrade is not for everyone and we certainly understand that. If you are happy with the way the Giulia looks and handles as it is fantastic. At the same time there are many people that hate the factory wheel gap and want to reduce that. At the same time many prefer to upgrade the handling of the car from the factory settings. That is what these springs are designed to do.

Regarding the mirror question you asked. The covers are full replacements. You will need to remove the factory covers. If you ever need assistance in installation we can happily help over the phone.

·
Vendor
995 Posts
Discussion Starter #55
@Madness - Would've been nice to get some post install pics with the OEM wheels as opposed to the 20s. Have any with 19s?

If you look back several pages on this thread (I think #31) you will see a stock Q4 with stock wheels with our springs along with a review.

·
Vendor
995 Posts
Discussion Starter #56

·
Vendor
995 Posts
Discussion Starter #58

·
Vendor
995 Posts
Discussion Starter #59
High Performance Lowering Springs for your Alfa Romeo Giulia Quadrifoglio!

These MADNESS Lowering/ Performance Springs were developed as a joint effort between us (MADNESS) and our European Partners that produce some of the best performance springs in the world.

Made in Germany, TUV approved, and improves the vehicles handling.

Get these performance springs for your Giulia Quadrifoglio by visiting the link below:

41 - 60 of 63 Posts