Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My husband just installed mine...it's AWESOME. The car sounds like it looks! Here are the install notes:
Installing the Monza wasn't difficult at all. It'd be nice if it came with instructions, but if you've worked on an exhaust before, it will be familiar. It's a quality piece of gear, and you might want some power tools to tighten the band clamps fully, especially on the tips.

Lift the Car
The first challenge is figuring out how to lift the Giulia. For the Monza, you're going to remove the OEM exhaust nearly the length of the car, so you'll have to be able to access the front and rear. I ended up putting the rear on ramps, then lifting the left side of the front with a floor jack, backed up with every jack stand I own. I'd seriously consider getting some Rennstands if you're going to DIY on this car.

Remove the OEM Exhaust
Remove the plastic protection from underneath the rear of the car. It's just the single horizontal panel. You don't need to disconnect any more than that. Move to the front and remove the two nuts from the exhaust's flexible coupling. I didn't remove any of the plastic underneath the front of the car. I had to fight that just a little later when removing the exhaust, but that braided flexible coupling flexed just fine and let me get it out..

There's band clamp holding the two sections of the OEM exhaust, and my hope was that I could loosen it then separate the sections. No such luck. The sections didn't want to come apart, and I ended up just leaving it all one piece. I hope others have better luck, as it would make it easier to handle.

Find the rubber hangers and disconnect them. I used channel-lock pliers to push the metal nipples into the rubber, then a bolt to continue the process. A little oil or grease helps a lot. There are two rubber hangers hidden somewhat inside the bumper cover that are a little more difficult to access than the other three, but the bumper cover and undercladding is pretty flexible to allow you to get to those.

Now, I had the entire exhaust disconnected, but couldn't separate the two halves. There's a cross-beam spanning the two sides of the car, attached by four bolts. I removed that and the exhaust was now free, but needed a wrestling to completely remove it. This is where the flexibility of that coupling came into play, as I had to apply a little downward pressure to get it past the plastic protection up front.

With the exhaust fully removed, I removed the tips.

Install the Monza
The bulk of the Monza is three long pipes: one with the flexible coupling, one with a Y that replaces the muffler, and one that goes between. Then there are two elbows that redirect the Y out to the rear of the car, and finally, the tips.

I started up front, attaching the flexible coupling with the two nuts. Then I attached the middle pipe, and the Y pipe, but didn't tighten their clamps.

The Monza uses only three of the hangers, forgoing the two inside the bumper cover. I attached all three, then re-attached the cross-beam to the frame of the car that I had previously removed to free the exhaust.

Now I had the exhaust loosely installed back to the Y, and I could figure out how to orient the middle pipe. I think it's obvious once you see it, and mine more or less fell into place, stepping upward to clear the cross-beam, then to the side to match the rear pipe.

Now to get the tips onto the rear pipes. The tips of the Monza are attached to the two elbow pipes, not to the bumper cover. So, you're in control of how far they stick out, and whether they're evenly presented within the bumper cover holes. I played with the orientation of the middle pipe to see if it had any bearing on the location of the tips, and it didn't seem to. So, I didn't tighten it down yet.

I did this in steps. First, I put the two elbows on the Y, then inserted one tip from the rear of the car. I adjusted the distance I wanted it sticking out, and marked this on the elbow pipe with a pencil. I then removed both elbows from their hangers, and transferred my pencil mark to the other elbow. The clamps on the tips are particularly beefy and I found it easier to attach the tips outside the vehicle. There's a visible centerline on the pipes, and the tips are split, to they're easy enough to keep aligned.

Then I went back under the car, and loosely re-attached the elbows with the tips. I went back outside the car, and wedged the tips from underneath with the bubble wrap they were packed in (four layers deep). That pushes them high, but I figured they drop a bit with gravity. Then I went under the car, and tightened everything down. And sure enough when I removed the bubble wrap, the tips were nicely centered in the hole.

Start the car up and make sure you don't have any leaks or rattles. Then lower it and enjoy your new exhaust.

I posted a few videos of the sounds on Youtube:

·
Registered
440 Posts
Excellent!

Thank you for the videos.

Reactions: Nancyslat

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thanks for the clear description and the videos.
I am also thinking about buying the same exhaust for my Giulia. Have you had any problems after putting the exhaust and also what made you choose Monza over Lusso.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts