Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 83 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everybody,

I had the Madness MAXPower ECU installed in my Alfa this morning and I am here to tell you a little about it. Let me start off by saying, when it comes to performance, the Alfa Romeo Giulia has got it all. Despite having “only” 280 hp, this turbo charged monster is able to keep up with many v8 sports cars. Due to its light weight constructions, and careful engineering, this vehicle is a great in all categories. That said, as with any car, after a year of ownership you find yourself craving change. One form of change that you can never go wrong with is the addition of more power.

I had called early in the morning and asked if madness had a MPECU available and said that I would be there shortly to get it. Upon my arrival at madness I was very kindly greeted and they had the module waiting for me set aside. They offered to install it within 1 hour, an offer that I couldn't pass on. Madness's amazing mechanic Bill knocked out the install in about the 45 min and did a tremendous job hiding all the wires to make the engine bay look clean.

Now comes the fun part, driving the car. As they warned me the performance wasn't impressive the first drive because it takes a few miles for the car to adapt to the new module. After about 50 miles, I could really fell the module kick in and it made a huge difference. The car feels a lot more powerful at the higher RPM's and pulls a lot harder throughout the RPM range. The increase in power is very manageable and in no way takes away from the drivability of the car.

Overall, I would highly recommend the Madness Autoworks MAXPower ECU to anyone who is looking at getting a little more out of their Giulia, and do not regret the purchase even the slightest.

Attachments

·
Registered
223 Posts
Hello everybody,

I had the Madness MAXPower ECU installed in my Alfa this morning and I am here to tell you a little about it. Let me start off by saying, when it comes to performance, the Alfa Romeo Giulia has got it all. Despite having “only” 280 hp, this turbo charged monster is able to keep up with many v8 sports cars. Due to its light weight constructions, and careful engineering, this vehicle is a great in all categories. That said, as with any car, after a year of ownership you find yourself craving change. One form of change that you can never go wrong with is the addition of more power.

I had called early in the morning and asked if madness had a MPECU available and said that I would be there shortly to get it. Upon my arrival at madness I was very kindly greeted and they had the module waiting for me set aside. They offered to install it within 1 hour, an offer that I couldn't pass on. Madness's amazing mechanic Bill knocked out the install in about the 45 min and did a tremendous job hiding all the wires to make the engine bay look clean.

Now comes the fun part, driving the car. As they warned me the performance wasn't impressive the first drive because it takes a few miles for the car to adapt to the new module. After about 50 miles, I could really fell the module kick in and it made a huge difference. The car feels a lot more powerful at the higher RPM's and pulls a lot harder throughout the RPM range. The increase in power is very manageable and in no way takes away from the drivability of the car.

Overall, I would highly recommend the Madness Autoworks MAXPower ECU to anyone who is looking at getting a little more out of their Giulia, and do not regret the purchase even the slightest.
Thanks for your review! I'm also considering getting the maddnes ecu. How much did they charge for the install? As for power i wish they had dyno numbers to back it up.

·
Vendor
1,195 Posts
Thanks for your review! I'm also considering getting the maddnes ecu. How much did they charge for the install? As for power i wish they had dyno numbers to back it up.

Definitely need some numbers to back it up. EC did it.

If you look at our youtube channel and product listings on our website you'll see several videos pertaining to the MAXPower units. Including this one about how we dyno'd the MAXPower;

·
Registered
223 Posts
There isn't a single Giulia strapped onto the dyno in that video?!
That's exactly what I'm saying. I think a lot of us are on the fence on getting the maddnes ecu if they can show us some dyno numbers on the giulia that would help .

·
Registered
161 Posts
Hi everyone.

My name's Eric, Sales Manager and Sr. Technical Advisor at MADNESS TX. I'm going to step in here to hopefully answer some questions.

Thanks, Pradeep. Good to meet you, and I'm sure we'll be seeing you again down the road. Happy to hear you're enjoying the change!

Andy, we bill an hour of labor for the install - $129.99.

Definitely need some numbers to back it up. EC did it.
That's exactly what I'm saying. I think a lot of us are on the fence on getting the maddnes ecu if they can show us some dyno numbers on the giulia that would help .
Andy, Yury -
I'll 100% agree that dyno figures are the best way to be able to visualize change in hp/tq output following any sort of modification. There's also a wealth of information indicating exactly how and why it's difficult to not only successfully dyno the Giulia/Stelvio, but to produce honest and consistent results that we, as a vendor, would feel comfortable endorsing. Given that difficulty, it's a lot easier to produce dyno-equivalent graphs and charts using calculated software. Perhaps if FCA releases to us a jailbreak to ABS allowing us to dyno the Alfas more effectively, I'll take some time to head back to our dyno partners.

In the meantime, I'd rather let our product speak for itself, versus going back and forth on numbers - because the last thing we want to do as a vendor is misrepresent our product. If the numbers you produce aren't the same as what we produce, even if you enjoy the output of the product, you may still be left with a bad taste.

When it's proving to be remarkably difficult just to attain a consistent baseline number figure (between multiple users and companies, at that), it makes more sense to invest our energies elsewhere, at the risk of having less users. Our 30-day money back policy allows for some pretty substantial testing time, and the Non-BT version of the ECM installs in about an hour and change with basic tools.

Worst case scenario, you lose a couple hours on a weekend and a few bucks on return shipping.
Best case scenario, you like it. The added happiness adds an extra couple years to your life. You and Giulia spend the rest of your days dancing together down whichever roads you choose, happily ever after.

If you'd like to continue this discussion, please, reach out to me directly.
Feel free to give me a call, PM me, or shoot me an email.

·
Registered
161 Posts
You know, I thought I had my contact info in my signature.

(512) 982-9393, ext. 202

[email protected]

·
Registered
223 Posts
You know, I thought I had my contact info in my signature.

(512) 982-9393, ext. 202

[email protected]
Thanks Eric for taking your time consultanting me over the phone with my Max power ecu purchase. I have to admit the service i recived at madness autoworks was amazing. Everyone is very knowledgeable when it comes to modifying your Alfa/Fiat.

My first impression after having the Madness Ecu and Madness Go pedal installed is WOW!!! Feels like I got another 100 horsepower. That's not even giving the car time to adapt. As soon as pressed the gas my neck snapped back while the car accelerated to red line. Absolutely insane the power it makes with my new mods. Driveability is wonderful if you dial down the pedal. For driving around town I leave it with the Amber light and 3 green lights on its in the happy middle. As for the ecu the power is tremendous in the mid-range and that's exactly where all the power is in the giulia. RPMs build so quick you need to shift right away before you hit Redline. I could not be any happier with my purchase. They installed my maxpower ECU and my madness go pedal all in 1 hour and a half. Everything was wired neatly and tucked away. I would like to thank Art, Eric and Ray 4 helping me and taking their time consulting me with all my questions. I was on the fence deciding whether to go with a tune or a piggyback and I am very happy with the decision I made, the ECU is able to make all the adjustments necessary to the additional boost you get from the maxpowe ecu. I'm so glad I listen to Eric and made the purchase. If anybody is considering to get more power out of your giulia take my word and make the purchase from Madness you will not regret it. Thank you Madness for developing such a great mod for our loved Giulia.

Attachments

·
Registered
161 Posts
Thanks Eric for taking your time consultanting me over the phone with my Max power ecu purchase. I have to admit the service i recived at madness autoworks was amazing. Everyone is very knowledgeable when it comes to modifying your Alfa/Fiat.

My first impression after having the Madness Ecu and Madness Go pedal installed is WOW!!! Feels like I got another 100 horsepower. That's not even giving the car time to adapt. As soon as pressed the gas my neck snapped back while the car accelerated to red line. Absolutely insane the power it makes with my new mods. Driveability is wonderful if you dial down the pedal. For driving around town I leave it with the Amber light and 3 green lights on its in the happy middle. As for the ecu the power is tremendous in the mid-range and that's exactly where all the power is in the giulia. RPMs build so quick you need to shift right away before you hit Redline. I could not be any happier with my purchase. They installed my maxpower ECU and my madness go pedal all in 1 hour and a half. Everything was wired neatly and tucked away. I would like to thank Art, Eric and Ray 4 helping me and taking their time consulting me with all my questions. I was on the fence deciding whether to go with a tune or a piggyback and I am very happy with the decision I made, the ECU is able to make all the adjustments necessary to the additional boost you get from the maxpowe ecu. I'm so glad I listen to Eric and made the purchase. If anybody is considering to get more power out of your giulia take my word and make the purchase from Madness you will not regret it. Thank you Madness for developing such a great mod for our loved Giulia.
Andy,

Thank you for your feedback, and for putting trust in our service and products. We're excited to be able to share what we've been able to make happen on this car, and even more excited to hear the difference it's making in your drives!

I'll drop you a line next time I'm headed back to CA to drive ACH - I'll have to borrow a 4C and join you guys tearing up the mountains!

·
Registered
161 Posts
So, to be clear, the ECU, and (?) pedal need to come off for a service call?
Hi Chi,

As I advise all of our users: it's not products themselves that impact warranty, but a Service Manager's discretion. We have a number of dealer partners across the US who are aware of what we offer, and many of them work together with us, even installing our products for clients (I won't name names, for obvious reasons).

The best course of action is to have an earnest dialogue with the decision maker at your dealership. Most places are OK with simple changes; drop-in filters, cat-back exhausts, things along those lines. While many Service Managers immediately recoil with the suggestion of anything electronic, I've had conversations with a few of them on behalf our clients explaining what our products do, how they install, etc. Usually after that, the door opens for at least a GOPedal. The MaxPower ECM becomes a 50/50.

For those that don't feel comfortable doing that, there's a couple courses of action.

The GOPedal can be simply turned off, and tucked away under the dash (or otherwise hidden). If complete removal is preferred, uninstallation shouldn't take more than 5-10 minutes, as it's a single connection that needs to be reversed.

The ECM can be decoupled from the harness, with the Bypass Plug (included with your MaxPower ECM kit) inserted in its place. The footprint of the install is reduced substantially (from a complete tuning box to a 2" electrical connector), and the harness can be tied off elsewhere in the engine bay. With no box present in the engine bay, there's no reason for a claim or gripe.

In the event that your Service Department tends to scrutinize, or for those who would prefer the additional security measure, the unit and harness can be uninstalled completely if need be. This should take less than an hour for users with the non-Bluetooth version of the ECM, as you are only working with two sensors on the left bank of the engine bay, and disconnecting the battery. Not to boast, but it's taken me 30 minutes on the couple of occasions I've run our Giulia back to the dealership. >:)

Due to the required Cam Positioning Sensor connection on the BT versions of the ECM, complete uninstallation will take a bit longer. Probably best in those cases to simply run the bypass plug.

Regardless, I'm of the belief that the 3-6 months at a time of driving pleasure greatly outweigh the very sporadic inconvenience in preparation in those intervals.

Feel free to pick my brain on the subject.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Those of you who got the piggyback module from Madness, please let us know if the power gains remain present longer term. I had a discussion with someone who stated that the Alfa ECU is very smart and the car ultimately "untricks" itself from the piggyback.

I'm curious to see if this actually happens.

·
Read Only
0 Posts
I wouldn't buy a pre-owned Alfa that had a Power ECM installed by the previous owner, assuming they would tell me. Buying a car that had its engine and transmission pushed to its MAX for say three years isn't my idea of a good buy, just saying.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Those of you who got the piggyback module from Madness, please let us know if the power gains remain present longer term. I had a discussion with someone who stated that the Alfa ECU is very smart and the car ultimately "untricks" itself from the piggyback.

I'm curious to see if this actually happens.
I had my piggyback from Madness for little over 2 months now and still pulls hard throughout the rev range

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

·
Vendor
1,195 Posts
I wouldn't buy a pre-owned Alfa that had a Power ECM installed by the previous owner, assuming they would tell me. Buying a car that had its engine and transmission pushed to its MAX for say three years isn't my idea of a good buy, just saying.
The MAXPower does not push the motor that far. In fact, we detuned it to make it more reliable over the long term and safe to run 24/7/365.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Did u guys detuned it after I got mine about 2 months ago? Hope you guys did it after my purchase ?
The MAXPower does not push the motor that far. In fact, we detuned it to make it more reliable over the long term and safe to run 24/7/365.

·
Vendor
1,195 Posts
Did u guys detuned it after I got mine about 2 months ago? Hope you guys did it after my purchase ?

That was not a recent event. The MAXPower was detuned before we even went public with it.

·
Registered
159 Posts
um... detuned? - why? give us full powwa!

·
Registered
159 Posts
For the non BT version, how do you change mode or map? can that be done somehow?

1 - 20 of 83 Posts