1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
Wrong on the V2. With all the praise the V2 is getting you're looking into something else?

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Wrong on the V2. With all the praise the V2 is getting you're looking into something else?
I would prefer something a bit more quiet, everyone praises the V2 for perfomance gains but also hearing people here who don't like the sound that much. My best guess is that i'd be one of those people.

This is essentially a V2 with a carbon box around it, looks pretty ok to me? Still would never pay 700 USD for an intake without seeing what kind of performance it delivers.

·
Registered
160 Posts
what do we think of this?

https://madnessautoworks.com/Alfa R...system-w-bmc-twin-air-connical-filter-pid7945

I love the looks of it, hoping there will be some dyno charts (anyone at madness reading this?) soon.
Price tag is a little steep but if it does something meaningful in terms of performance well worth it, i'm hesitant about the EC V2 as I'm pretty sure the sound will be a bit much for my taste.
Hi Mr. B.

I'll level with you - as far as power gains are concerned, that's really something that electronics are going to make short work of - versus typical Intake/Exhaust mods that you'd start with on other vehicles. There's always a performance differential to be found, but the hp/tq gains achieved in changes to hardware pale in comparison to what can be achieved electronically.

Is there a tangible difference in performance? Yes, absolutely.
Dramatic, seat of the pants change? No, it's more like a hand helping the car push.

Will you have dyno figures? Perhaps, when all of us can take a free day or two to set that up, then revisit a week later for adaptation purposes. We're not in any rush though, and have other products we would prioritize. I would expect gains in the realm of sub-5% to hp/tq, maybe a bit over that with boost turned up. I haven't seen any intake on this car generate massive changes, it's all just efficiency enhancements.

Why should I spend $700+ on an intake? Frankly, much of that price point is in the sealed CF housing. We knew we wanted to opt for a closed airbox setup first, as utilizing the factory cool air induction points tends to create more hp/tq versus inducting in an open engine bay. We work with number of composite producers, and so going this route was a no-brainer for us. Not that Carbon Fiber somehow makes more power, or makes the product X-degrees better/cooler (temperature-wise; the airbox actually does look pretty cool) - theoretically, we could have produced a marginally less costly setup with one of our FRP producers, but our CF producers made a far superior product in the end.

For those who are looking to simply flow better and get more of that sweet turbo noise (at a lower price point to match), we'll have a version done with an open filter a little further out.

Feel free to drop me a line directly if you'd like. My contact info is below. :)

·
Registered
2018 Q4 with Fiamenghi Ti exhaust, Race Mod, and Tecnico wheels.
7,671 Posts
I would prefer something a bit more quiet, everyone praises the V2 for perfomance gains but also hearing people here who don't like the sound that much. My best guess is that i'd be one of those people.

This is essentially a V2 with a carbon box around it, looks pretty ok to me? Still would never pay 700 USD for an intake without seeing what kind of performance it delivers.
I can't say anything about the Madness intake, I have the V2. It does make a little more sound than stock, but with the emphasis on "little". When sport driving it is helpful to be able to hear the engine to know when to shift when you are too busy to look at gauges. When not sport driving the sound difference is very subtle to not-so's-you'ld-notice.

~15HP extra for the V2 is not a huge kick in the pants. I did not do a side by side comparison.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi Mr. B.

I'll level with you - as far as power gains are concerned, that's really something that electronics are going to make short work of - versus typical Intake/Exhaust mods that you'd start with on other vehicles. There's always a performance differential to be found, but the hp/tq gains achieved in changes to hardware pale in comparison to what can be achieved electronically.

Is there a tangible difference in performance? Yes, absolutely.
Dramatic, seat of the pants change? No, it's more like a hand helping the car push.

Will you have dyno figures? Perhaps, when all of us can take a free day or two to set that up, then revisit a week later for adaptation purposes. We're not in any rush though, and have other products we would prioritize. I would expect gains in the realm of sub-5% to hp/tq, maybe a bit over that with boost turned up. I haven't seen any intake on this car generate massive changes, it's all just efficiency enhancements.

Why should I spend $700+ on an intake? Frankly, much of that price point is in the sealed CF housing. We knew we wanted to opt for a closed airbox setup first, as utilizing the factory cool air induction points tends to create more hp/tq versus inducting in an open engine bay. We work with number of composite producers, and so going this route was a no-brainer for us. Not that Carbon Fiber somehow makes more power, or makes the product X-degrees better/cooler (temperature-wise; the airbox actually does look pretty cool) - theoretically, we could have produced a marginally less costly setup with one of our FRP producers, but our CF producers made a far superior product in the end.

For those who are looking to simply flow better and get more of that sweet turbo noise (at a lower price point to match), we'll have a version done with an open filter a little further out.

Feel free to drop me a line directly if you'd like. My contact info is below. :)

I'd say 5%, or 15HP as lockem mentioned for the V2 (this is a guesstimate i think?), is pretty good for just an intake replacement, I know a remap does way more, but what if you already have that and want to squeeze out more?

·
Registered
2018 Q4 with Fiamenghi Ti exhaust, Race Mod, and Tecnico wheels.
7,671 Posts
I'd say 5%, or 15HP as lockem mentioned for the V2 (this is a guesstimate i think?), is pretty good for just an intake replacement, I know a remap does way more, but what if you already have that and want to squeeze out more?
Eurocompulsion posted a measured number for the HP gain for their V2 intake. I do not recollect the exact number, but it was around 15HP. I only recollect seeing EC numbers for the V2 intake alone and V2 intake + remap tune + exhaust (about 75HP gain total). It is not obvious how much the remap without the intake or exhaust would gain.

IIRC all of this was posted in the forum vendor thread under the subject of the EC remap tune.

·
Registered
702 Posts
Anyone mad enough to try and combine this with the EC V1 intake?
From the pictures it looks like the MAF would be the "common connector".

·
Vendor
1,193 Posts
Anyone mad enough to try and combine this with the EC V1 intake?
From the pictures it looks like the MAF would be the "common connector".

An additional, optional, part of the MAXFlow Intake System is a post MAF tube to replace the factory intake completely. That tube is also set to be released next month, July 2018!

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
An additional, optional, part of the MAXFlow Intake System is a post MAF tube to replace the factory intake completely. That tube is also set to be released next month, July 2018!
Would it be available in red too? :)
And are you planning to dyno the intake (on either a stock or remapped Giulia)?

·
Registered
160 Posts
Would it be available in red too? :)
And are you planning to dyno the intake (on either a stock or remapped Giulia)?
Red? Yes, though that may be further out in terms of timeframe.

Dyno? Per my comment above, it's not high up on our list of priorities. At some point, sure, but not in the immediate future.

Reactions: Rolex

·
Registered
2,988 Posts
Disclaimer: My Giulia still has the stock intake/exhaust. I have chipped the ECU though.

As Madness has stated, the real power gains will come from improving the electronic portion of the system, meaning the software inside the ECU.

From what I've read, the intake & exhaust changes will improve air/waste (intake/exhaust) flow allowing for improved torque at low RPM. This is mostly in the ranges that the turbo can't work.

As for the sound, tone and volume: I can't speak for the tone as I've never heard anything other than stock, and everybody has a different ear.

Volume has more to do with how much power you're making. This is easily controlled with your right foot. With or without a chipped ECU, the working power is always controlled by the driver, and that in turn controls the intake/exhaust volume.

·
Registered
316 Posts
/I] ... For those who are looking to simply flow better and get more of that sweet turbo noise (at a lower price point to match), we'll have a version done with an open filter a little further out.

I like the idea of the closed airbox. Your design piggybacks off Alfa's design and that seems very sensible for someone wanting to revert to stock faster for dealer maintenance. Would you consider a version that uses the stock airbox, but with your BNC filter design using some sort of attachment? Not only would this be appealing, but the install/uninstall process would be much easier as well.

·
Registered
82 Posts
I like the idea of the closed airbox. Your design piggybacks off Alfa's design and that seems very sensible for someone wanting to revert to stock faster for dealer maintenance. Would you consider a version that uses the stock airbox, but with your BNC filter design using some sort of attachment? Not only would this be appealing, but the install/uninstall process would be much easier as well.
From what I understand - I exchanged a couple of emails with Eric a few months ago - the BMC conic filter won't fit in the standard airbox. BMC does do a panel filter that goes in the box.

In Australia, oiled filters aren't legal, and in most states exposed pod filters aren't favoured either. Plus as most pod filters are oiled, a visual inspection gets you the double whammy.

Madness doesn't have (know of?) a dir filter that fits its CF box. Eurocompulsion uses Green Filters (but not green), which has a different oil, but I couldn't work out a size that fits. aFe didn't seem to have anything in the same size (rough conversion of 90 mm inlet to MAF) as the BMC that wasn't oiled.

The EC Kevtek sounds cool to me, so I might end up with a V1 + Madness CF airbox + BMC filter and live with the oiled filter thing, but I'll wait till I get my first service done, and finish my other car project.

·
Registered
316 Posts
From what I understand - I exchanged a couple of emails with Eric a few months ago - the BMC conic filter won't fit in the standard airbox. BMC does do a panel filter that goes in the box.

In Australia, oiled filters aren't legal, and in most states exposed pod filters aren't favoured either. Plus as most pod filters are oiled, a visual inspection gets you the double whammy.

Madness doesn't have (know of?) a dir filter that fits its CF box. Eurocompulsion uses Green Filters (but not green), which has a different oil, but I couldn't work out a size that fits. aFe didn't seem to have anything in the same size (rough conversion of 90 mm inlet to MAF) as the BMC that wasn't oiled.

The EC Kevtek sounds cool to me, so I might end up with a V1 + Madness CF airbox + BMC filter and live with the oiled filter thing, but I'll wait till I get my first service done, and finish my other car project.

That's the setup i'm using now, V1 + BMC filter.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Eric from Madness told me recently via email that the silicone hoses - V1 equivalent - are about 1-2 weeks away from being in stock. I don't know/ask for the price.

·
Registered
82 Posts
The silicone hose, equivalent to the V1, has been delayed again. Now about three weeks. I was told the price is likely to be $250, or $150 bundled with the carbon airbox.

·
Vendor
1,193 Posts
The silicone hose, equivalent to the V1, has been delayed again. Now about three weeks. I was told the price is likely to be $250, or $150 bundled with the carbon airbox.

There was a last minute revision which pushed back the delivery date but they are currently enroute and we expect them to arrive here in the next 10-14 days. Sorry to be a bit vague on that but the thanksgiving holidays, black friday, cyber monday, ect can interfere with international shipping.

Regular price for the pipe is $249.99 or $149.99 if you buy or have bought a MAXFlow Intake.

Currently the pipes are barbie pink with cyan zebra stripes. :grin2:

But seriously they are red.

Feel free to contact us directly if you have any questions.

·
Registered
316 Posts
There was a last minute revision which pushed back the delivery date but they are currently enroute and we expect them to arrive here in the next 10-14 days. Sorry to be a bit vague on that but the thanksgiving holidays, black friday, cyber monday, ect can interfere with international shipping.

Regular price for the pipe is $249.99 or $149.99 if you buy or have bought a MAXFlow Intake.

Currently the pipes are barbie pink with cyan zebra stripes. :grin2:

But seriously they are red.

Feel free to contact us directly if you have any questions.
Do you have any pics of the pipe?

·
Vendor
1,193 Posts
Do you have any pics of the pipe?
No, they have not arrived yet. Once they do we will shot some photos and share them with everyone here.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts