Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
526 Posts
That seems awfully high, slightly over 110 ft. lbs.

I just torqued mine to 90 ft lbs the other day.

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
That seems awfully high, slightly over 110 ft. lbs.

I just torqued mine to 90 ft lbs the other day.
I agree, 150 is too high.......

Planning to torque mine to 95 like I do in my 911 and racecar.....

·
Registered
2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia TI Sport Q2
498 Posts
I agree, 150 is too high.......

Planning to torque mine to 95 like I do in my 911 and racecar.....
I had my wheels off last week, and the bolts came lose so easy. So for me, tight it up.

·
Registered
105 Posts
I had a wheel replaced back at delivery because it was scraped in transit. They took one from another car on the lot and swapped them while I waited. I asked the mechanic what the torque requirement was, and he said 90 ft-lbs.

·
Registered
167 Posts
The spec I found for the QV was 130nm...

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
Yeah 90 ft lbs sounds right.

·
Premium Member
812 Posts
This is what i got....

Lug nut torque: 17mm @ 89-90lbs

·
Registered
422 Posts
Just checked mine, 90FT lbs on my Snap On 1/2"

All were loose, like 1/4 turn to get it to torque value loose. 900 miles on car.

Check them while you can.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Just checked mine, 90FT lbs on my Snap On 1/2"

All were loose, like 1/4 turn to get it to torque value loose. 900 miles on car.

Check them while you can.
I changed my 5 hole wheels to Tecnicos today ( plus new Michelin Super Sports tires) I called Alfa customer care and was told 89 pounds. So about the same as everyone else came back with. When I went to take the original wheels off they seemed very lightly torqued at the factory. I have 2800 miles on the car. Oh- The Pirelli Corsas are in great shape, just prefer the Michelins and here in Florida I needed better tires to handle the rain.

·
Registered
2018 Q4 with Fiamenghi Ti exhaust, Race Mod, and Tecnico wheels.
7,722 Posts
Lug (and other) bolt torque is trickier than it sounds. The spec is for clean dry threads, yet my lug bolts were covered with oil and some kind of flaking finish. My bolts were loose from the factory as well. The optimum torque for a bolt is different for shear versus tension loaded bolts. Lug bolts are loaded in both directions.

My personal preference is to put antiseize on my lug bolts and torque to 75 ft-lbs (lubricated bolts should use a reduced torque--the charts recommend 60 ft-lbs btw). I have never had one budge after initial tightening. My bicycle is assembled the same way--every torqued bolt has antiseize on it. I know from experience that things will fall off and/or loose adjustment if this is not done. Of course this is not factory spec lug bolt procedure so do likewise at your own risk.

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
@lockem , what chart? I too use antiseize on most every fastener. I agree that most "factory" torque values are for dry, new fasteners. In my experience, I have seen - heard - read - torque reduction values posted at 5-10% when using antiseize or oil or grease. There are differing opinions on the use of antiseize on fasteners. This deserves a thread of it's own.

·
Registered
850 Posts
If a car is exposed to salt then there may be issues with frozen lug nuts/bolts. But any sort of lubrication/protection may also cause "issues". Years ago, I put some lubricant (maybe it was oil or grease at the time?", and promptly twisted off several bolts. So it behoves anyone contemplating using anti seize or other on lug fasteners to often check the torque with a quality wrench. Of course, tightening fasteners should done in the proper sequence with increasing torque. Plus, if one is using an extension on the socket, it is easy to alter the reading if care is not used. Maybe removing and cleaning/checking the threads on wheel fasteners should be part of an owner's yearly maintenance. On my other cars, a Superformance Cobra and my 1952 Army M37 weapons' carrier, I used a lot of ARP fasteners, and their special thread lube, which gives an even specified torque value. Which I can't now recall.

But no matter how one attaches wheels to their car, making sure they are good and tight is really really important.

NV

·
Administrator
2018 Giulia Ti Sport Q4
4,291 Posts
Most alloy wheels are 90 lbs/ft, at least all of the ones I have ran into are.

Torque procedures for alloy wheels is different than steelies. Initially torque to 90 lbs/ft. Drive vehicle for 100 miles, re-torque to spec. Steelies you just torque and you're done (usually 85 lbs/ft), although it doesn't hurt to check them too.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts