Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I'm under the assumption that all red giulia's come with lsd differentials correct? I want to know what is the difference between the stock one and the one that comes in the ti performance package? What can the performance one do that the stock one can't.

·
Registered
5,590 Posts
You only get the LSD if you got the performance package. It is not standard with any configuration.
All Giulia models have traction control standard.

An open differential will send all torque to the wheel with the least traction. Traction control will attempt to correct this by applying the brakes on such a freely spinning wheel, but this action happens only after the slippage has started and ends only after the slippage has stopped. In the mean time the vehicle gets jerked side to side.

LSD uses mechanical ramps to detect when less torque is going to one side than the other and clutches that are activated by the ramps to send the torque to the wheel with more traction. It can only work if both wheels have some traction. It can work really well (much better than either LSD or traction control alone) when combined with appropriately designed traction control.

Quadrifoglio comes with a torque vectoring differential as standard equipment. It is my understanding that this has the same clutch packs as an LSD, but that the clutches are electrically activated by a computer. I do not know how well it performs compared to an LSD + traction control.

When pushed, any of these systems burn power. This can result in excessive heating of the differential and in the case of some traction control only systems, loss of forward motion.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
so the base giulias all come with open Differentials? Would ti Giulia with the lsd be able to do burnouts or donuts?

·
Registered
5,590 Posts
so the base giulias all come with open Differentials? Would ti Giulia with the lsd be able to do burnouts or donuts?
You can't turn the traction control off, so no. I believe that burnouts and donuts are easier without the LSD, since you have less traction but you usually won't get a double track on the pavement. Hopefully you are not proposing to do any of this on public highways. Lots of complaints from forum members on the subject of traction control disable, including myself. Getting unstuck from the snow sometimes requires aggressive wheel spinning. Once when a CHP officer directed me in my pickup into a snow bank (long story) and my truck was not happy about getting out of it the officer asked me "is that all you got?"; what an invitation! And yes, flooring it and spinning the wheels until they dug all the way down to pavement got me unstuck. If my truck had traction control I would have had to use my winch to get unstuck.

You can turn the traction control off on Quadrifoglio Giulia (also on the 4C). I dunno what controls are available in Stelvio.

·
Super Moderator
2,990 Posts
The base model Giulia comes with an open differential. There is no LSD option.

The Ti only includes an LSD if it has a special option package, "Ti Performance Package". That package includes paddle shifters and active suspension as well as the LSD. There are cosmetic sport packages, but they DO NOT include the LSD. My Ti has a "Q2" badge on the trunk indicating the LSD package.

The Quad (QV) comes standard with an LSD. It is not the same LSD used in the Ti.

The base and Ti use the brakes to control wheel spin. The ESC can dab a single brake to control wheel spin and/or slide control. The LSD package does not disable the ESC, it simply kicks in before the ESC does. I doubt if the ESC will allow any real burnout or donut spin. It will simply think the car is out-of-control and cut engine power, dab a brake, up-shift the transmission (unconfirmed), or something else to regain safe car control.

There is no way to disable the ESC that I know of.

The Quad does have a 'race mode' that the lesser models do not. I'll let the Quad owners answer the question about how much of the ESC actually gets disabled.

·
Registered
44 Posts
This ESC and TC is killing me. As I have stated in another post, these nannies seem to be more overactive in non-LSD cars, because one tire is more prone to slip.
QUESTION: Is the LSD used in some Ti (RWD) a mechanical type, requiring no electronic/computer inputs? If so, can I remove the open diff from my TI, buy a LSD from Alfa Romeo, and Install the LSD in place of the open diff?
I need to quiet these friggin nannies.

·
Registered
36 Posts
This ESC and TC is killing me. As I have stated in another post, these nannies seem to be more overactive in non-LSD cars, because one tire is more prone to slip.
QUESTION: Is the LSD used in some Ti (RWD) a mechanical type, requiring no electronic/computer inputs? If so, can I remove the open diff from my TI, buy a LSD from Alfa Romeo, and Install the LSD in place of the open diff?

I imagine this is possible though it is probably not that easy, I would think there will need to be software changes too.

·
Registered
44 Posts
as long as the two diffs use the same case, it is easy. and hopefully they use the same half-shaft connection too. anyone who has a RWD car with LSD mind posting a picture of their rear differential?

·
Super Moderator
2,990 Posts
The Quad has an electronic LSD.
The Ti has a purely mechanical LSD. I don't know about the upgrade part though. There is the possibility that the housing is different.

·
Registered
28 Posts
The base model Giulia comes with an open differential. There is no LSD option.

The Ti only includes an LSD if it has a special option package, "Ti Performance Package". That package includes paddle shifters and active suspension as well as the LSD. There are cosmetic sport packages, but they DO NOT include the LSD. My Ti has a "Q2" badge on the trunk indicating the LSD package.

The Quad (QV) comes standard with an LSD. It is not the same LSD used in the Ti.

The base and Ti use the brakes to control wheel spin. The ESC can dab a single brake to control wheel spin and/or slide control. The LSD package does not disable the ESC, it simply kicks in before the ESC does. I doubt if the ESC will allow any real burnout or donut spin. It will simply think the car is out-of-control and cut engine power, dab a brake, up-shift the transmission (unconfirmed), or something else to regain safe car control.

There is no way to disable the ESC that I know of.

The Quad does have a 'race mode' that the lesser models do not. I'll let the Quad owners answer the question about how much of the ESC actually gets disabled.
Do all Q4s with paddle shifters have the sport performance package or is this not accurate? I'm debating a ti vs ti sport and have noticed that not all ti models have the paddles.

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
Do all Q4s with paddle shifters have the sport performance package or is this not accurate? I'm debating a ti vs ti sport and have noticed that not all ti models have the paddles.
Paddles are part of the Performance package, but are also part of the plain Sport package.
Most cars with paddles just have the sport package and not the performance package.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Paddles are part of the Performance package, but are also part of the plain Sport package.
Most cars with paddles just have the sport package and not the performance package.
If it has paddles and is only a ti (not a ti sport) does this mean that it has the sport performance package with lsd?

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
If it has paddles and is only a ti (not a ti sport) does this mean that it has the sport performance package with lsd?
Not necessarily. The performance package is separate. It has to say explicitly "Ti Performance Package" in the window sticker.

·
Super Moderator
2,990 Posts
do all q4s with paddle shifters have the sport performance package or is this not accurate? I'm debating a ti vs ti sport and have noticed that not all ti models have the paddles.
paddles are part of the performance package, but are also part of the plain sport package.
Correct! Paddles are available with both Sport Package and Ti Performance Package.

if it has paddles and is only a ti (not a ti sport) does this mean that it has the sport performance package with lsd?
One would think so. But, the base Giulia (non-Ti) has several levels of sport packages and possibly could have paddles without looking like a Ti Sport and not having an LSD. Reading the window sticker closely would be important.

The LSD is only available with the Ti Performance Package. Only the Ti version can get this package. This package will add the 'Q2' badge on the trunk, but only the RWD gets that. The Q4 with an LSD is still badged as 'Q4'.

·
Super Moderator
2,990 Posts
do all q4s with paddle shifters have the sport performance package or is this not accurate? I'm debating a ti vs ti sport and have noticed that not all ti models have the paddles.
paddles are part of the performance package, but are also part of the plain sport package.
Correct! Paddles are available with both Sport Package and Ti Performance Package.

if it has paddles and is only a ti (not a ti sport) does this mean that it has the sport performance package with lsd?
One would think so. But, the base Giulia (non-Ti) has several levels of sport packages and possibly could have paddles without looking like a Ti Sport and not having an LSD. Reading the window sticker closely would be important.

The LSD is only available with the Ti Performance Package. Only the Ti version can get this package. This package will add the 'Q2' badge on the trunk, but only the RWD gets that. The Q4 with an LSD is still badged as 'Q4'.

·
Registered
154 Posts
The “Ti Performance Package” also includes the active suspension (the damper button in the middle of the DNA knob), so the easiest way to determine if a giulia has the LSD is to look for the suspension button in the middle of the DNA knob... no button here means no LSD. Both Ti Sport and Ti Lusso models can be equipped with LSD (in the case of the lusso, paddles on the wheel also mean the car has an LSD, but on the sport paddles do not guarantee the LSD).

·
Registered
424 Posts
In europe, the suspension button does not necessarily mean that ther car has the performance package.
In other words: the active suspension can be ordered separately - is that the case in the US aswell?

1 - 20 of 30 Posts