Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for best fit for light track use and street use. What have y'all found that you like, what are the relative pros and cons of each (other than the obvious price difference of the OEMs being $190 higher than the ST springs.)

Thanks

·
Registered
348 Posts
I usually hate going to aftermarket springs because no matter how many people say ride quality is the same, I find that ride quality gets worse. That being said, I had the ST springs installed a week ago. For the first time ever, the ride quality is the exact same as stock. Stance is perfect unless you prefer your car even lower/slammed. Handling is much crisper. I would recommend them.

·
Registered
513 Posts
I contemplated this question for a while. Decided to go with the OEM 2017 springs.

They enhanced the look over what came stock on my car. The ride quality is better and handling is better.

no doubt the STs look even better, but I can’t speak to the ride quality.

Even with the 2017 springs, the car is awfully low. Be carful. I am glad I didn’t opt for the STs. If this is your daily driver, I’d stay away from those.

·
Vendor
2,463 Posts
I have plenty of ST springs in stock and more 17 coming in a few days. Yes, OEM are a bit more. Don't forget the front Suspension bolt/nut kit too. They are one time use. In stock as well.

I like both options. St do a nice job not ruining the ride quality/handling. I cannot say whether or not the handling is "improved" over 17" springs though. Both are excellent regardless.

·
Registered
113 Posts
I usually hate going to aftermarket springs because no matter how many people say ride quality is the same, I find that ride quality gets worse. That being said, I had the ST springs installed a week ago. For the first time ever, the ride quality is the exact same as stock. Stance is perfect unless you prefer your car even lower/slammed. Handling is much crisper. I would recommend them.
Thanks for sharing the results. Were any spacers used? Post install photos would be great. Thanks much.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I'm trying to decide on lowering my newly acquired 2017, how much lower do the ST springs go, pics for reference would be helpful.

·
Registered
2,633 Posts
I'm trying to decide on lowering my newly acquired 2017, how much lower do the ST springs go, pics for reference would be helpful.
Try this thread

Reactions: Triumph23

·
Registered
325 Posts
Since you have a '17 model, check out my video and you can see exactly how much it lowered mine all around. Hope that helps you make your decision!

·
Registered
58 Posts
I went with 2017 OEMs but Alfa replaced mine for free so it was an easy decision. As said above, I have to proactively look for trouble spots cuz of the lower height.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Since you have a '17 model, check out my video and you can see exactly how much it lowered mine all around. Hope that helps you make your decision!

Buba, that was an excellent video, thanks mate!
Looking at my 2017 (build date of June 2017) I have a three finger gap between the tire and the fender lip on the rear which is really noticeable, does this sound normal for a stock suspension on a 2017?

·
Registered
325 Posts
Buba, that was an excellent video, thanks mate!
Looking at my 2017 (build date of June 2017) I have a three finger gap between the tire and the fender lip on the rear which is really noticeable, does this sound normal for a stock suspension on a 2017?
It's hard to go by finger gap measurements as everyone's fingers have different thicknesses, but about a three finger gap sounds about right, as after lowering its about 1.5 finger gap give or take again. If I recall correctly, I measured about 1 cm from fender to top of tire, I'll have to double check on that though, to give you a more accurate measurement.

·
Registered
91 Posts
It's hard to go by finger gap measurements as everyone's fingers have different thicknesses, but about a three finger gap sounds about right, as after lowering its about 1.5 finger gap give or take again. If I recall correctly, I measured about 1 cm from fender to top of tire, I'll have to double check on that though, to give you a more accurate measurement.
Thanks Buddy! I am leaning towards ST Springs.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Actually, for me the OEM springs on my 2019 look great but the car is very low and great care is needed when driving. Can’t imagine going lower but everyone has their own valid opinion.

Actually the higher 2018’s still look good IMHO and provide almost an extra inch in clearance.

·
Registered
348 Posts
The car is pretty low with the ST springs. I had 2 passengers and myself in the car and tried going over a speed bump normally and it scraped the piss out of the cabon fiber side skirts. FFFUUUUU

Just something to think about.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Looks very nice. Anyone here know if the result will be similar with the ST springs for a RWD 2.0 version ?
Id imagine the results would be different based on the different weights of the cars. There may be a solution for the Q2 though.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts