Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

So I brought my car in to the dealer due to the driver's side bulb facing 10+ degrees higher than the other side.

They ordered me a new headlight assembly. After 20 minutes the service advisor told me that because I lowered the car (Eibach prokit on q4), the adaptive headlights aren't able to adapt properly and therefore causes the driver's side bulb to face up (despite the other side being fine).

Has anyone had this same response or have any comments?

This was speculative on their part but the only fix I was suggested was some laser being used to correct it which would cost ~$600+. They also said if I booked it in for a week they could look at it and see.

I'm going to book it in a few weeks later when I'm going out of town.

Any advice in meantime?

·
Registered
2,988 Posts
Hi

So I brought my car in to the dealer due to the driver's side bulb facing 10+ degrees higher than the other side.

They ordered me a new headlight assembly. After 20 minutes the service advisor told me that because I lowered the car (Eibach prokit on q4), the adaptive headlights aren't able to adapt properly and therefore causes the driver's side bulb to face up (despite the other side being fine).

This was speculative on their part but the only fix I was suggested was some laser being used to correct it which would cost ~$600+. They also said if I booked it in for a week they could look at it and see.

Any advice in meantime?
Ouch. I'd get a second opinion first. I'd seriously think about putting the stock springs back as a test to see what happens. I know it's a lot of work, or money, depending. But currently, your dealer is blaming the non-stock springs without fully diagnosing the problem. I don't know enough about the headlamp system to make a different suggestion. I think it has a self-leveling system that does not rely on distance from earth. If that's true, the dealer is full of cow poo.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'd rather just pay the 600 or so cuz by the time I put on the stock springs it's not much different in cost. I did contact Alfacares for a 2nd opinion.

Others here have lowered their cars too tho and I'm wondering if anyone has same issue.

I'm also inclined to believe they are incorrect and easily blaming the aftermarket part. Can the electricals really be that finicky?

·
Vendor
1,195 Posts
Our Giulia is slammed down so far even we have trouble getting it on the lifts. It's a 2+ inch drop. Even being that low we've never had issues with the headlights being out of alignment. Dealers and service centers do like to blame aftermarket parts when there is an issue. Does the light still turn with the steering?

·
Registered
2,988 Posts
I'd rather just pay the 600 or so cuz by the time I put on the stock springs it's not much different in cost. I did contact Alfacares for a 2nd opinion.

Others here have lowered their cars too tho and I'm wondering if anyone has same issue.

I'm also inclined to believe they are incorrect and easily blaming the aftermarket part. Can the electricals really be that finicky?
Oh yes they can! It's probably more a coincidence of timing than anything else. There's plenty here with lowered cars and this is the first I've heard of headlamp adjustment issues (with or without lowering springs).

Get a second opinion before paying them $600. Without a proper diagnostic, you'll still have the same problem. Perhaps it will take a long while to reappear though.

·
Registered
527 Posts
I have not had a problem with my headlamps... this is after a year of being lowered on Eibachs, roughly 9000 miles.

I don't think there's a ride height sensor, so the ride height shouldn't make a difference... only the leveler in the headlamp.
But, I've been wrong about this car before, so who knows...

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The sidelights that go on when I turn work. Everything works. It's just the offset bulb, which I can't fix/adjust with the ball hex driver. (Can turn screw but nothing happens)

·
Registered
630 Posts
Yes it's possible that your headlamp misalignment is due to the lowered ride height. Hopefully a simple headlamp adjustment will bring things back into line. But it's tricky because the AFLS uses both the front and rear axle sensors and the steering wheel angle to determine vertical and lateral position. Not having worked on this system myself I can't say for certain.

PREMIUM/ TOP LEVEL

The top level headlamps are equipped with 35W Xenon bulbs (high beam/low beam). The top level headlamp also implements the Adaptive Front Lighting System (AFLS) function managed by the AFLS module for laterally adjusting the light beam according to the steering angle. Vertical adjustment is handled via inputs from the front and rear axle sensors and the vertical adjustment motor.

FRONT AXLE LEVELING SENSOR LOCATION

The AFLS directly detects the suspension position by means of the one front axle sensor. According to axle sensor signal, AFLS instructs (via LIN bus) the (right and left) lateral adjustment motors to laterally adjust the headlamps and change their position. The AFLS is the master while the two control units are the slave. The AFLS receives the steering angle and vehicle speed parameters via Controller Area Network (CAN) and instructs the control units which manage the (right and left) lateral movement to implement the appropriate adjustment allow the beam to follow the bend.

HORIZONTAL AND VERTICAL ADJUSTMENT RECOVERY SOLUTIONS
The following recovering conditions are provided in case of faults to the vertical and horizontal adjustment motors:

• If the vertical adjustment motor (2) is blocked, the headlamp will be turned all rightwards by the horizontal movement motor (1).
  • If the horizontal adjustment motor is blocked, the headlamp will be turned downwards (all down) by the vertical movement motor.
  • If both motors are blocked, the headlamp will be blocked in its current position but will not be switched off.

1 - Horizontal adjustment hexagonal screw
2 - Vertical adjustment hexagonal screw
3 - HID Ballast control unit (Xenon 35W) HDU
4 - DRL/side marker lamp LED control unit

·
Registered
876 Posts
mine are not adaptive, and i already have a driver side headlight replaced by dealer, due to being stuck way higher than it should be, now my second headlight on the driver side is missaligned, i guess there is just something iffy about those driver side headlights lol, my car is too on madness lowering springs, but headlights are not adaptive

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
Me too.

But here is an idea... unplug the CAN bus connections or harness and such when you have the car back on the ground. Make sure everything is level or adjust it when it is unplugged. Then plug everything back in or just unplug and replug the negative battery connection to reset the computers.

·
Registered
808 Posts
Perhaps my older post will help. I bought a cheap tool and it was easy!
https://www.giuliaforums.com/forum/#/topics/28585?page=1
That link just takes me to the main forum page, not the topic you intended.
It’s weird works fine for me. Maybe you need to clear your cache or maybe it only works for me because I’m the one who started the post?
Anyway you can do a search for the title “Headlight adjustment info” under my name if you want to look at it

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hi John.... That sounds like it's above my skill level.

·
Registered
2018 Q4 with Fiamenghi Ti exhaust, Race Mod, and Tecnico wheels.
7,721 Posts
Isn't that the tool that the OP already said does nothing on his car?

10 degrees is a lot, although I suspect it was not measured. If the front suspension is at full compression and the rear at full height you will only get about 4 degrees of angle relative to the resting angle. If the adjuster does nothing at all, I would immediately suspect that it has come apart (broken or otherwise). On my car a full turn of the adjuster makes no obvious movement of the headlamp assembly, but the aim changes noticeably, so some caution is needed before concluding that the adjuster does nothing.

I thought @MacGeek said that only the European models have the self leveling feature. My USA spec car has the adaptive headlights and I just went out and checked: although the front lower wishbones have a mounting point for the illustrated sensor (drilled, and possibly threaded), there is nothing mounted to it on either side.

Lowering springs usually are also stiffer, so there is some slight chance of a headlight failure due to increased shock caused by the stiffer springs; however that is pretty far fetched and I think the dealer is just being difficult to get along with.

If the failure was observed immediately after a third party installed the lowering springs, it is also possible that the spring installer attempted to adjust the headlights for the new vehicle stance and broke something in the process.

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
Hmm, true. I am pretty sure my stage one VMaxx coil overs on my Miata crack the elements in my headlight more often than stock. But I think I have a wonky cable too on the pass side. For some reason it likes to cut out on low beam. High works fine until I open the hood, get out, walk over, jiggle the cable and then the low comes on.

·
Registered
2,988 Posts
Hi

Any advice in meantime?

From another thread, posted today:
i lease mine, brought it to dealer for warranty work on paint(bumper paint was chipping away) new wheels(clear was pealing off), and headlight(which they replaced, but it broke again, cannot adjust the height of the beam, and its way to high, even bought my self a 6mm ball end allen key to try to adjust it, but it does nothing) and the car is lowered and has custom straight pipe quad exhaust, they just checked looked at it, and said nothing they did check my spacers and aftermarket bolts though said nothing too
I'll invite Dorifto to chime in here.

·
Registered
876 Posts
From another thread, posted today:

I'll invite Dorifto to chime in here.
i think there is something wrong with the driver side headlights breaking something inside, Atleast for non adaptive ones, im already on my second driver side headlight, which doesnt adjust anymore either and is pointing to the trees, fingers crossed that my dealer wont blame my stiffer suspension for breaking something inside the headlight once i bring it with the same issue to them again :frown2:

Reactions: Racer Z

·
Registered
2018 Q4 with Fiamenghi Ti exhaust, Race Mod, and Tecnico wheels.
7,721 Posts
i think there is something wrong with the driver side headlights breaking something inside, Atleast for non adaptive ones, im already on my second driver side headlight, which doesnt adjust anymore either and is pointing to the trees, fingers crossed that my dealer wont blame my stiffer suspension for breaking something inside the headlight once i bring it with the same issue to them again :frown2:
Sometimes it is better to take it apart yourself and fix it properly rather than replace it. See my Audi 4000E story: when the 3rd fuel pump relay failed exactly the same way as the 1st and 2nd, I dismantled it and fixed the myriad cold solder joints inside and never had another problem with it.

Inside a headlight it might be necessary to fabricate a stronger replacement part to make whatever is breaking strong enough to hold up.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts