Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A few weeks after I had my 2019 TI Q4 I did a bone-headed thing when I parked with the front spoiler on top of a concrete parking block. Didn’t hear anything when pulling in, but when backing out, the block pulled the spoiler and separated the front right fascia seam that attaches it to the fender (just behind the headlight). I took it to the dealer and was told it would be $750 to replace. My tech took me aside and said the paint wouldn’t match and I could do the repair myself with some epoxy. I purchased a two part expoy (Gorilla) and it worked fine until recently when the seam split again while doing some spirited driving over a rough road..I didn’t notice that this epoxy was only “water resistant” and not “water proof” so this caused the failure. I removed the epoxy residue and did the repair again with Clear Weld water proof epoxy and this is holding well. However when pressing on the panels for the 5 minute set prior to masking for painting didn’t realize I had some epoxy on my gloves so now have epoxy on both the lower fascia panel and fender area near the seam. Paint pens didn’t do the job so will be sanding and applying primer/base coat and clear coat...Does anyone know if the lower fascia and fender area below the headlight is plastic or metal and if I need to use the flexible primer for a panel with some movement or if regular primer is ok...I know I am a complete bonehead but why do a job once when two or three times is so enjoyable!o_O...Thanks for any info in this regard.

·
Registered
485 Posts
I had a ti sport that I returned at end of lease. I did something similar and decided to have the bumper replaced. It was $1200 with paint. Sucks, but it looked a lot better. They got the paint close enough to where I couldn’t tell a difference, although they did warn me about that potential up front.

that fascia is all one plastic assembly. Unless you have the QV with the active carbon spoiler.

here’s an example:

·
Registered
6,000 Posts
The fascia is entirely plastic and uses a high flexibility paint, the fender is aluminum (that is a metal, for the record).
The paint on the fascia seems to never match the fender. Some colors come closer than others.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts