Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know that reviewers often criticize car makers for the use of "hard plastics"....I often wonder why car makers don't revert back to using carpet (dark carpet) on the lower third of doors as was common place back in the day....to me it's a no-brainer....it doesn't have to come too high up the door card, just the lower quarter of the door....would eliminate the worry of shoe scuffs upon entry and exit and if dark enough, won't show dirt...as careful as you might be entering and exiting your car, you are bound to scuff that lower third and if it's not you, it will be the service mechanic when you take your car for service...just wondering....

Reactions: sjmst

·
Registered
2018 Q4 with Fiamenghi Ti exhaust, Race Mod, and Tecnico wheels.
7,910 Posts
I know that reviewers often criticize car makers for the use of "hard plastics"....I often wonder why car makers don't revert back to using carpet (dark carpet) on the lower third of doors as was common place back in the day....to me it's a no-brainer....it doesn't have to come too high up the door card, just the lower quarter of the door....would eliminate the worry of shoe scuffs upon entry and exit and if dark enough, won't show dirt...as careful as you might be entering and exiting your car, you are bound to scuff that lower third and if it's not you, it will be the service mechanic when you take your car for service...just wondering....
Carpet adds weight? Historically the carpeting was glued to the card.

I've been wondering why not make the entire inside door cover from CF? I believe it can be made strong and thin. By making it thin it will have some "give" to make it "feel better" than something thicker. That doesn't help with the scuffing problem though. With a smooth finish as found on most CF products, maybe something like a layer of Xpel would provide adequate scuff protection?

FWIW, my MY 2000 Pickup truck has carpet on the lower 4" or so of the doors, but who cares about an extra couple of pounds added to a 7000 pound pick up truck?

If you go waaaaay back, the design was fiber board covered with something resilient such as foam rubber, covered with something soft like fabric or vinyl. My Etype and DeSoto both used this scheme.

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
But surely the weight added by a 4 inch strip of carpet has to be negligible....No ?

·
Registered
7,910 Posts
But surely the weight added by a 4 inch strip of carpet has to be negligible....No ?
Assuming 4" by 3' (one square foot) the expected weight is about 2 pounds, per door. Not huge, but not trivial either.

It is easy to say that 2 pounds per door doesn't come to much, but most of the weight of the car is made up of many parts similar in weight to this.

One advantage of CF door panels is that they can be made polished smooth, which allows installation of protective films such as Xpel. Of course the big downside is that it is expensive. It wouldn't need to be pre-preg, which might moderate the cost a bit.

On a related point, how many folks rest their arm on the arm rest? 4C just has a pull strap. My shoulder therapist tells me that arm rests are actually harmful to shoulder joints and my experience seems to confirm that assertion. Without the arm rest the door card is simpler to fabricate and can have a more elegant appearance. Door arm rest delete also might free up a place for a better cup holder.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I don't think it's weight at all. I think it's money.. It's a helluva lot cheaper to stamp out plastic than to attach a piece of carpet to the bottom of anything. I think it's all about the $$

Reactions: Max and MDriver

·
Registered
7,910 Posts
Hmmm, while waiting for my Giulia to get delivered and just looking at pictures, it seems that the door cards are built up from multiple pieces. There is an upper piece with optional leather covering, a middle piece in various colors (with armrest and switch gear?) and a lower piece with a (molded in?) map pocket. Perhaps it is possible to add said padding of your choice to the lower piece up to the center piece?

It is not obvious from the pictures if the card is one big piece with a center overlay, or three pieces. If the former, fabricating a CF version of just the big piece should be more manageable than if the whole thing was one piece. Has anybody seen one of these taken apart?

A web search does turn up aftermarket CF door cards available for some cars.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts