1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)

·
Registered
27 Posts
I'm not sure if there will be a fix from Alfa, but it sure would be nice. Since it's brake by wire perhaps a simple software update could "soften" the sudden braking at low speeds by making the final bit alittle more gradual vs sudden... maybe an aftermarket fix? [email protected] might have some insight.

·
Registered
166 Posts
This was a problem for me back when Mercedes had brake by wire 2 e-class generations ago. "Chauffeur stops" require some feel when backing off the pedal at the end, which I found harder to do on the old Mercedes system.

Who else is doing brake by wire now? I wonder if those cars have similar issue.

·
Registered
27 Posts
This was a problem for me back when Mercedes had brake by wire 2 e-class generations ago. "Chauffeur stops" require some feel when backing off the pedal at the end, which I found harder to do on the old Mercedes system.

Who else is doing brake by wire now? I wonder if those cars have similar issue.
I don't think there are many... one source said the Toyota Prius but the Giulia is one of the few to have it implemented at the moment

·
Registered
13 Posts
Iv'e noticed that my TI is difficult to brake smoothly at low speeds. It makes it hard to come to a stop without a "jolt". This was mentioned in the Top Speed review below.

Has anyone else noticed this?

It appears to be a problem associated with the brake-by-wire design. Has anyone heard about a possible software fix?

http://www.topspeed.com/cars/car-news/2017-alfa-romeo-giulia-quadrifoglio-quick-look-brakes-ar175409/picture698093.html
I have had my QV for the past week and I have to say this is the most annoying thing thus far with the car (that and the driver seat automatically slides back at exit)

I have been working the brake pedal to see if there is a consistent bite point with the intensity of pressure, but there seems to be none. Sometimes i get the car to brake smoothly...but most of the time i get the jolt.
Also get it when the car restarts from stop/start mode when i roll away after stopped.

Hope there is a fix for the braking and pulling away from a stop--the jolts take their toll in LA traffic.

·
Registered
28 Posts
While waiting to get a test drive in a QV (which seems like it will be at least 9+ months out now), I took out an AWD Ti Sport Package (18" sport pack without the adaptive dampers) this past week. Low speed braking was probably the biggest flaw in the car. There was just no consistent point where the breaks start to grab and there is absolutely NO brake feedback whatsoever at low speeds (under about 30MPH or so). You start pushing the pedal and feel . . . nothing. So you push some more until finally they start to grab - and bite hard. Then you jerk to a stop. Considering I live in central NJ and my daily commute typically consists of lots of stop-and-go traffic, this could be a real issue for me. I hope that this is something that can be resolved by software updates.

·
Registered
646 Posts
Had this exact experience on my test drive with the Ti. Could not get any real brake pedal feel. I thought there was something wrong with the brakes themselves.

Very annoying.

Hopefully there's a software fix coming to modulate it better.

·
Registered
5,219 Posts
I mentioned this is my initial review of my QV...brake pedal feel was very difficult to modulate...though the car stops very well...it is difficult to get the feel for when they will grip which can be scary to say the least...at speed however(highway) braking was concise and direct...no vague-ness or "sudden on" only while driving around at street speeds did this occur...by now I am used to it and getting better....was most pronounced on initial starts..

·
Registered
2,988 Posts
That seems to be going away a little for me as the brakes break in... Maybe I'm just getting used to it.
That's what I was going to suggest. The brakes need time to bed-in and the new car owner might need time to get used to the car.

Being a performance oriented car, the pads might work better after they're warmed.

I put about ten miles on a new Ti and never noticed anything with the brakes. Maybe I didn't drive slow enough?

·
Vendor
619 Posts
I'm not sure if there will be a fix from Alfa, but it sure would be nice. Since it's brake by wire perhaps a simple software update could "soften" the sudden braking at low speeds by making the final bit alittle more gradual vs sudden... maybe an aftermarket fix? [email protected] might have some insight.
Unfortunately this isn't something we would want to mess with, the liability is enormous. It was admittedly annoying at first but you will get accustomed to it. I find it the most annoying at a stoplight or sitting with your foot on the brake. Its just not exactly as linear you would feel with a fully hydraulic system.

Its a continental based system and tied into the rest of the safety equipment, including ESC, EBA, TCS and the ABS systems.

This also ties into the difficulty of putting this car on the dyno.

·
Registered
1 Posts
While on vacation I drove a fiat 500L rental and experienced this same issue. My wife thought I was stopping abruptly on purpose. It took a full day of driving to get used to it, however it was very annoying nonetheless. Kinda disappointed to hear that the giulia has this same issue.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Iv'e noticed that my TI is difficult to brake smoothly at low speeds. It makes it hard to come to a stop without a "jolt". This was mentioned in the Top Speed review below.

Has anyone else noticed this?

It appears to be a problem associated with the brake-by-wire design. Has anyone heard about a possible software fix?

http://www.topspeed.com/cars/car-news/2017-alfa-romeo-giulia-quadrifoglio-quick-look-brakes-ar175409/picture698093.html

I did not notice anything unusual with brake feel on my Giulia in first few hundred miles.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I did not notice anything unusual with brake feel on my Giulia in first few hundred miles.
That seems to be going away a little for me as the brakes break in... Maybe I'm just getting used to it.
Maybe a little of both. The Ti I test drive (partially in bumper to bumper traffic) had a lot of miles on it (9K?) and I did not notice anything strange with the braking. The stop/start system, however, was pretty annoying - and got turned off by the time I got to the end of the dealer's driveway.

·
Registered
36 Posts
9K miles!? They've only been on the ground 5-6 weeks.
Well, that particular Ti had 9,0xx miles, first thing I saw when I fired it up. Here's the other strange thing - it was not on the dealer's listed inventory. My take is this was a corporate car on loan to them and not one that was for sale.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Well, that particular Ti had 9,0xx miles, first thing I saw when I fired it up. Here's the other strange thing - it was not on the dealer's listed inventory. My take is this was a corporate car on loan to them and not one that was for sale.
OK, makes sense if it was one of the cars brought in late last year for the press drives in Sonoma.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I mentioned this in another thread but the wipers seem to have an effect on the pedal as well. While I was at a stop light with the wipers on while it was raining the brake pedal vibrates... I mentioned it to the service advisor and said they couldn't replicate it. Unbelievable but yes I hope they do fix the sensitivity of the brake pedal with a software update.

·
Registered
242 Posts
I mentioned this in another thread but the wipers seem to have an effect on the pedal as well. While I was at a stop light with the wipers on while it was raining the brake pedal vibrates... I mentioned it to the service advisor and said they couldn't replicate it. Unbelievable but yes I hope they do fix the sensitivity of the brake pedal with a software update.
That's really strange. One of the things they tout about IBS is that the pedal doesn't pulse under hard braking with ABS active.

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
One really annoying thing is when you shift from park to drive, IBS still holds the discs almost 100% and each time you have to give it gas to force the rotors free kind of, could be a hill hold assist feature but still is a bit odd compared to the norm!

1 - 20 of 30 Posts