Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don’t like my low profile tires. Too many flat tires. I’m stressed every time I go over a big pot hole. Any recommendations for a regular profile tire that would work? I’m ready to sacrifice handling for less flats and a better ride. I have a 2020 Guilla with 19” rims. Thanks.

·
Registered
2017 Giulia Ti Sport Q4
557 Posts
If you have the 225/40s not much more you can do. See if someone would trade your 19s for 18s.

·
Super Moderator
2018 Giulia Ti Sport Q4
3,830 Posts
You can easily run 235/40/19, and depending on tire mfr you could go 245/35/19 which will get you much more sidewall...

245's:

Reactions: WCL21

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I don’t like my low profile tires. Too many flat tires. I’m stressed every time I go over a big pot hole. Any recommendations for a regular profile tire that would work? I’m ready to sacrifice handling for less flats and a better ride. I have a 2020 Guilla with 19” rims. Thanks.
The service department told me the only practical option is to exchange my 19” rims for 18’s. I will look into the idea of 235 40. Does anyone have a view on the best brand?

·
Registered
2018 Q4 with Fiamenghi Ti exhaust, Race Mod, and Tecnico wheels.
7,235 Posts
245 35r19 will decrease the sidewall height, not increase it.
245 40R19 may fit.
17" wheels will fit. @Eagle7 has a reasonably priced after market set on his car.

·
Registered
411 Posts
The service department told me the only practical option is to exchange my 19” rims for 18’s. I will look into the idea of 235 40. Does anyone have a view on the best brand?
I'm running Goodyear Eagle Exhilarate in 235/40 19 and pretty happy with them. For the next set I'll might try the Continental DWS.

·
Super Moderator
2018 Giulia Ti Sport Q4
3,830 Posts
245 35r19 will decrease the sidewall height, not increase it.
245 40R19 may fit.
17" wheels will fit. @Eagle7 has a reasonably priced after market set on his car.
They are no longer reasonably priced. lol

Reactions: Marmaduke

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
They are no longer reasonably priced. lol
Yeah looks like the sudden popularity caused a price increase, but $199.49 each still isn't bad for the 17x8. When I first bought them, nobody knew they'd fit the Alfa Romeo. I was actually the one who tested the fit and clearance for them for the 17" wheel. I got them for $180 each so a $20 increase per wheel isn't exactly an astronomical price increase. I think $797.96 for a set is still quite reasonable.

·
Registered
2018 Q4 with Fiamenghi Ti exhaust, Race Mod, and Tecnico wheels.
7,235 Posts
Race mod and drift it in? OK, still way better than I can do.

·
Registered
3,900 Posts
Forklift or photoshop?

Reactions: johnalfa

·
Registered
2017 Giulia Ti Sport Q4
557 Posts
Man those FC04 look pretty good and the price is right. I want 18x9 square setup at least, think an 18x10 would fit on front?

·
Registered
383 Posts
Yeah looks like the sudden popularity caused a price increase, but $199.49 each still isn't bad for the 17x8. When I first bought them, nobody knew they'd fit the Alfa Romeo. I was actually the one who tested the fit and clearance for them for the 17" wheel. I got them for $180 each so a $20 increase per wheel isn't exactly an astronomical price increase. I think $797.96 for a set is still quite reasonable.

I use 17" FC04 for winters, and I approve this message.

By the way, that's a Canadian website, and the $200/wheel pricing is in CAD. Current exchange rate is C$1 = US$0.82.

Reactions: Eagle7

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
Man those FC04 look pretty good and the price is right. I want 18x9 square setup at least, think an 18x10 would fit on front?
The 18x9 should be okay, but I'm not sure on the 18x10 for the front. They list an 18x10 with a 35mm offset which would be the one I'd try, but they're out of stock on that particular size in the 5x110 bolt pattern. Unless you're going to the track, I'd say the 18x9 would be great for the street. It's listed in either a 30 or 40 offset; 30 moves the wheel outward, 40 moves it inward towards the inside of the car. On the 17x8 with a 35 offset, the spokes clear the brake caliper by 2.6 mm. You don't want it any closer than that. I'd try the 18x9 with the 30 offset first. If you call the company, they may already know what clearances will fit on the wider wheels. After several years of experience now with the Giulia, they probably know what works and what doesn't.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Tire Rack shows several 17's that they say will fit. This whole low profile and no spare tire thing is just plain nuts. Getting a flat used to be an infrequent minor inconvenience - now you can add playing reverse 'whack-a-mole' with potholes to the list of driver distractions.

·
Registered
2018 Vulcano Black Giulia Quadrifoglio
3,755 Posts
Tire Rack shows several 17's that they say will fit. This whole low profile and no spare tire thing is just plain nuts. Getting a flat used to be an infrequent minor inconvenience - now you can add playing reverse 'whack-a-mole' with potholes to the list of driver distractions.
When I got a flat in my old Honda; I put on the spare which was a donut so I still had to limp home at 50. If I was on a road trip; that would have been a bigger problem, but as it was just my daily commute, I made it home in not much more time than usual. I called a local shop and they had my tire in stock; that would never happen with the corsas. So at worst, I should be able to find a local (to where I am) shop, get a new tire, and drive home (even on a road trip)

The fix a flat kit with the giulia is also limited to 50 I believe, so that seems similar, but replacing the tire easily isn't realistic.

Now if cars came with a full size spare, that's a different story. But then you have the space and weight to deal with. We could put a full size spare in the trunk or backseat and keep it there permanently, but then you sacrifice weight and practicality. Everything in life is a trade off.

I live in NYC and get flats on the regular. Very regular lol. But it's a trade off for being able to drive the best DD ever

·
Registered
198 Posts
The fix a flat kit with the giulia is also limited to 50 I believe, so that seems similar, but replacing the tire easily isn't realistic.
It's been my experience, with low profile tires (40 series or lower), the real risk is the pothole impact will damage the sidewall/bead area of the tire and render the can of Fix-A-Flat useless. Worst case, since there is so little sidewall, rim damage is a good possibility too.

·
Registered
2018 Vulcano Black Giulia Quadrifoglio
3,755 Posts
It's been my experience, with low profile tires (40 series or lower), the real risk is the pothole impact will damage the sidewall/bead area of the tire and render the can of Fix-A-Flat useless. Worst case, since there is so little sidewall, rim damage is a good possibility too.
Yup. I cracked a rim last year changing lanes at 60/70 mph 🤦🏻‍♂️

1 - 18 of 18 Posts