Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
21 - 40 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
630 Posts
Until this all gets resolved, it’s probably best to just add a little purified distilled water if you’re just a little bit low. Yes you will be diluting things, but it’s probably safer than using the wrong stuff. Also, my trust in dealers having accurate information about coolant types or anything else I can rely on is exceedingly low. Be skeptical and verify anything they tell you.

·
Registered
2,000 Posts
On the Jeep forum, they state "There is not a coolant that has the ms-90032 spec on it. So the right stuff is the MS 12106 OAT."
The problem with that is the MS.12106 stuff is “AB”, or HOAT coolant, which FCA’s earlier TSB states that mixed HOAT and OAT means a system flush is required. Now, since the 2012 and earlier FCA vehicle and some 2013 Jeeps REQUIRE HOAT coolant, I don’t see it being likely that FCA will have abandoned the AA=OAT and AB=HOAT part codes, because there are too many still driving out there.

The same Jeep guys talking about those also suggest either flushing the system and replacing with good old green coolant or are in the DexCool will work just fine with a FCA vehicle camp, and that stuff about destroying silicone and o-rings is just an old wives tale to make you buy their expensive FCA coolant...draw your own conclusions.

·
Registered
2,000 Posts
Orange is the new purple. I'm planning to go by the dealership this week and get a quart. Details will follow.
Brave man. Make sure it’s an Alfa/Fiat/Maserati/Ferrari only parts department and we’ll be awaiting the color report, the MS.xxxxx report and the AA or AB report.

I’m mildly surprised @AlfaRomeoCares hasn’t jumped in...and if @MacGeek is around, HELP!

·
Registered
537 Posts
Sorry I missed this thread. Everything I have seen for oat has been purple, I haven’t had to add much to an Alfa yet, but if the level is just below the add, you can add some distilled water and not worry about it, that’s what I do when I replace the o-ring in the tsb.
I would also guess there is a small bit of air in the system when built and as the car is driven the level drops slightly, I’ve seen this also on Hybrid Pacifica’s, it is hard to bleed when they don’t run them long.

·
Registered
2,000 Posts
Sorry I missed this thread. Everything I have seen for oat has been purple, I haven’t had to add much to an Alfa yet, but if the level is just below the add, you can add some distilled water and not worry about it, that’s what I do when I replace the o-ring in the tsb.
I would also guess there is a small bit of air in the system when built and as the car is driven the level drops slightly, I’ve seen this also on Hybrid Pacifica’s, it is hard to bleed when they don’t run them long.
Can you confirm that the purple you’ve seen is the replacement fluid and that the Giulias you see have orange in them? Also, if you get a chance, can you verify the part number for the replacements fluid.

·
Registered
2018 Q4 with Fiamenghi Ti exhaust, Race Mod, and Tecnico wheels.
8,893 Posts
I think the big concern is the chemical incompatibility of the Chrysler Orange and Chrysler Purple coolants combined with the uncertainty if the Petronas Orange is compatible with either of the Chrysler formulas and the uncertainly of what Petronas part number is actually installed in the car (the coolant specified by the owners manual apparently is not currently made by Petronas). Besides changing coolant for scheduled service (9-10 years away for most of us), damage repair to the front end often involves draining and refilling the coolant and often by a non-Alfa Romeo technician. When draining the coolant there is almost always quite a bit left behind. Flushing out said remnants is tedious and expensive. Thus, it is best if we know what to use to refill the systems sooner rather than later.

Are there any labs that can determine the chemistry of coolant for a reasonable cost?

·
Registered
537 Posts
Can you confirm that the purple you’ve seen is the replacement fluid and that the Giulias you see have orange in them? Also, if you get a chance, can you verify the part number for the replacements fluid.
I’ll check into it this week and post back.

Reactions: AlfaCrisis

·
Registered
2017 Ti Q2
213 Posts
I contact AlfaRomeoCares and was told to contact the dealer.

More to come.

·
Registered
2018 Q4 with Fiamenghi Ti exhaust, Race Mod, and Tecnico wheels.
8,893 Posts
I contacted 2 different coolant testing companies. Neither said in a clear fashion that they could determine what kind of coolant is delivered in Giulia. Both said that they cater to testing of large industrial engines not automotive engines and as a result they are not familiar with the chemistry of Chrysler coolants. The first said they only can look for contaminants. The second said they look for differences relative to a reference sample. The later said "no we cannot tell you what is in the coolant" but followed that with instructions to submit 3 samples and an indication that they could say if the car sample was OAT (unclear if this is a promise to distinguish OAT versus mineral additives or OAT versus I presume chemically similar HOAT), at a cost of about $500. Neither made noises like this was a project they wanted to do.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Fount this on Amazon:

Specifications, Applications, and OE Reference Numbers:
• VW/Audi G012A8FM1
• VW/Audi G012A8FM8
• VW/Audi G012A8GM9
Chrysler MS.90032
• Mopar 68163848AA
• Mopar 68163849AA
• Mercedes-Benz MB 325.5
• MAN 324 Typ Si-OAT
• Porsche ab Bj.97 Boxster, Cayman, Cayenne, Panamera

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
I have been watching this thread and hoping to see definitive answers.
I have seen first hand the adverse results of mixing coolants. Gelling, crystallization, and separation.
Through the years there are also reports of adverse interactions with specific gasket and seal materials, and even metals and plastics in the cooling systems, when using the wrong (not specified) coolant.
The "old standard" green antifreeze is a silicate and phosphate product.
Newer products are OAT, Organic Acid Technology and, HOAT, Hybrid Organic Acid Technology.
The coolant in our Giulias (information provided by MacGeek) is Petronas Paraflu UP, a "monoethylene glycol base organic acid technology" (OAT) swill.
On the same MacGeek spec sheet it lists: Chrysler MS-90032 and Fiat 9.55523 specifications. If you go to the Petronas site, the Paraflu UP page gives the same Fiat compatibility numbers, but a different Chrysler MS-12106 number.
I hope that I don't need to add coolant until this is cleared-up.

·
Registered
2,000 Posts
• Moper 68163848AA
• Mopar 68163849AA
Note the “AA”, while the Chrysler MS.12106 fluid is “AB” (HOAT). The 48 is straight coolant, the 49 is 50/50 pre-mixed. I also find Paraflu UP only listing MS.12106 compatibility, I wish @MacGeek was around.

·
Registered
537 Posts
Purple can be substituted according to our tsb regarding the coolant hose o-ring, it’s right there in the print, so should be fine, maybe just the dye is a different colour.

·
Registered
2,000 Posts
The one clear fact is that the "AA" letters identify OAT coolant and the "AB" letters identify HOAT coolant, and never the twain should meet.
Apologies, both this and the statement about factory fill being purple are now shown incorrect.

The AA vs AB seems to be a revision indicator.

Alfa Romeo factory fill is an orange color, Mopar coolant for topping up is purple. This does beg the question as to what color the mix will be. Color wheel work suggests a 50/50 mix would be a orangy-brown.

·
Registered
630 Posts
Color wheel work suggests a 50/50 mix would be a orangy-brown.
Which is another brain fart on behalf of Alfa/FCA/Mopar as you want a very light colored coolant so that a quick and easy visual check is sufficient to tell you whether you have major contamination or other cooling system problems. Rusty brown/ dark orange colored coolant should be replaced!

·
Registered
2018 Giulia Q4
903 Posts
Which is another brain fart on behalf of Alfa/FCA/Mopar as you want a very light colored coolant so that a quick and easy visual check is sufficient to tell you whether you have major contamination or other cooling system problems. Rusty brown/ dark orange colored coolant should be replaced!
I read the whole thread and have not come to a definitive conclusion as to waht antifreeze to get yet...
Here's what I get mixing light orange with purple.... "actual results may vary" :)

Attachments

·
Registered
2018 Giulia Q4
903 Posts
I tried to locate the Petronas Paraflu UP (Ultra Protection) coolant as I thought it would be correct based on what i could find but haven't been able to locate any for sale in the U.S.A. at all. So it's been a few Months now - What are people using? Has the confusion been sorted out and is the purple stuff fine to use?

Any updates would be appreciated.

·
Registered
422 Posts
I'm about to find out. If Mopar purple is what supposed to be used, so be it- there's no real other choice.

One other thing-look closely at the reservoir, at MAX it's about 1/2 full hot-there's indicators on the container. It looks low at a casual glance but in reality it's not. Currently, at operating temp I'm full hot.

This is what full hot looks like- yes those are sharpie marks outlining high and low. No more squinting with a light.

Attachments

21 - 40 of 51 Posts