Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys I have a Alfa Romeo Giulia 2.0t 2019 that I've had for over a year now,

Recently I noticed that my car makes a very loud prominent whining noise on full throttle. It sounds exactly like a supercharger whine. I want to say that its my turbo going bad, but I felt that would be way too obvious, so I decided to post here and see your guys take on it.

Car burns oil passionately, and went through almost 4 quarts of oil in 3 months of driving where I put only 4000 miles on the car.

The car is warmed up half ass sometimes, but I do drive it hard, very hard, and mix e85 with my gas on many occasions.

So if it is my turbo I wouldn't be surprised, thank god the car is still under warranty.

·
Registered
4,654 Posts
Sounds like you drove it too hard, hope you weren’t planning to keep it very long.

·
Registered
891 Posts
While most modern car manuals say oil consumption up to some milage is "normal", I think it is there for the outlier to avoid warranty claims. The Car magazines did comment that the engine in the Mustang 350 consumed a LOT of oi., something that makes me wonder how long the cats will last. My several Porsche's mentioned I think 1000 miles was still within norma.

On the other hand, in the past few decades, none of our cars has consumed much oil at all, an Acura in 250K miles, never needed any oil, my QV at 22K shows no consumption, and my wife's Jag supercharged Pace SUV at 65 K also uses no oil at all. My own Jag sedan also used virtually no oil. I check our cars' oil frequently.

So an Alfa using that much oil has something going on, for a reason(s) not clear to me. If an engine isn't leaking oil, it is either past the rings, or the valve's.

My driving habit is to near "load" or rev a motor until the oil is fully warmed up. I make sure the drivetrain comes up to temp before I exercise it.

All the best, and stay safe. NV

·
Premium Member
2,856 Posts
Hey guys I have a Alfa Romeo Giulia 2.0t 2019 that I've had for over a year now,

Recently I noticed that my car makes a very loud prominent whining noise on full throttle. It sounds exactly like a supercharger whine. I want to say that its my turbo going bad, but I felt that would be way too obvious, so I decided to post here and see your guys take on it.

Car burns oil passionately, and went through almost 4 quarts of oil in 3 months of driving where I put only 4000 miles on the car.

The car is warmed up half ass sometimes, but I do drive it hard, very hard, and mix e85 with my gas on many occasions.

So if it is my turbo I wouldn't be surprised, thank god the car is still under warranty.
A whine noise combined with that amount of oil use certainly sounds like a bad turbo .

·
Registered
36 Posts
After you’ve fixed the problem you may consider letting your car run a minute or two (after spirited driving). This may help extend the life of your next turbocharger!

·
Registered
274 Posts
I rarely have to add oil when I do it’s usually about half a quart
However I too hear that noise occasionally.
It’s when I’m driving it very very hard. I hear it on full throttle launches,brake boost launch, downshifting from hard driving.
I didn’t think it was the turbo I thought it was one of the pulleys but again I’m no mechanic. I’m at 57k miles

·
Registered
289 Posts
4 qts in 4000 miles is not a leak you would miss unless you were Stevie Wonder...and even he would have slipped in the garage after stepping in it....
Perhaps. But it may only leak under pressure and therefore under driving conditions. I have a water pump leak in that manner. At idle, no leak at all, but while driving it would leak pretty bad.

·
Registered
7 Posts
That's way too much oil to be burning in that mileage. I would take it to the dealer immediately because it could be a lot of things, and you might have multiple issues. The whine sounds like it could be a boost leak or even fuel pump issues. It could just be a belt though, you never know. Consuming quarts of oil sounds more serious though. Have you noticed any smoke coming from your exhaust?

·
Registered
274 Posts
That's way too much oil to be burning in that mileage. I would take it to the dealer immediately because it could be a lot of things, and you might have multiple issues. The whine sounds like it could be a boost leak or even fuel pump issues. It could just be a belt though, you never know. Consuming quarts of oil sounds more serious though. Have you noticed any smoke coming from your exhaust?
I agree 4qts is insane. Something is wrong. During my oil life
7k oil changes I rarely add oil I think in my 57k miles of ownership I’ve added oil 2 times. I also drive very hard

·
Premium Member
2,856 Posts
Perhaps. But it may only leak under pressure and therefore under driving conditions. I have a water pump leak in that manner. At idle, no leak at all, but while driving it would leak pretty bad.
Trust me, if it were leaking externally, the bottom of his car and anywhere he parked would be covered in oil...this is not an external leak...its getting past the impeller bearing seals and being burned

·
Registered
274 Posts
Does anyone know how much goes into removing the turbo on the 2.0?

also what are your guys thought on getting the turbo rebuilt?
I remember reading something about them cutting the blades to be more efficient?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Trust me, if it were leaking externally, the bottom of his car and anywhere he parked would be covered in oil...this is not an external leak...its getting past the impeller bearing seals and being burned
Sounds like the most likely thing to me. I'm used to modded cars without any cats so if he still has a catalytic converter it could just be hiding the smoke. I'd take it to the dealer and get it fixed or at least diagnosed asap. That amount of oil burning will cause a lot more damage over time.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
It wasn’t as bad today as in other days but you could still hear it in the higher rpms of first gear.

Also my speedometer is malfunctioning I did not go over 25 mph in this video

·
Registered
2,556 Posts
The video

It wasn’t as bad today as in other days but you could still hear it in the higher rpms of first gear.

Also my speedometer is malfunctioning I did not go over 25 mph in this video
You actually did that in a residential zone? If you tried that in my neighborhood you’d be getting a visit.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts