Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2.0 awd Giulia looses a significant amount of power. Now from gathering date from jb4 and just the feel of the car I’ve narrowed it down to, once the cars temp reaches over 200 degrees it looses power significantly.
I was planning on taking it into the dealer but we all know how dealers are a hit or miss and last time when I was having turbo issues the forum was more helpful than the actual dealer.

with that being said, I feel like it needs a software update for the pcm maybe? Maybe they can adjust the fan so it kicks on earlier? I’m not too sure I’m justthrowing ideas out there. Maybe there’s a TSB on this issue

I also have no lights on the dash

car has about 100k miles

·
Registered
78 Posts
Interesting as I’ve noticed loss of power too in my 2.0. I also haven’t heard the whine of the aux IC pump lately! So this relay live up front pass side?? I see the schematic but not clear.

·
Registered
222 Posts
My 2.0 also seems to have significant lag lately after letting off the pedal and getting back on it, like on a rolling stop turn. Is that normal for this type of turbo? Would MES show if it has abnormally high temps in the charge air? Mine likely still has very early software versions and also old relays.

·
Registered
2018 Q4 White/Black, Performance Pkg., Leather Pkg., 35W Xenon, Static Assist, Sunroof, Navigation
324 Posts
Do you have a part number for the relay? If it is a common relay shared with FIAT, for example, I'm sure the part is less expensive in a FIAT box than in an Alfa Romeo box. In the past, I have purchased BOSCH relays for my B.M.W. in a V.W. box and they were less than half the price.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Do you have a part number for the relay? If it is a common relay shared with FIAT, for example, I'm sure the part is less expensive in a FIAT box than in an Alfa Romeo box. In the past, I have purchased BOSCH relays for my B.M.W. in a V.W. box and they were less than half the price.
I bought 2 from alfa for $11, retail is $16

·
Registered
62 Posts
I've been reading a couple of threads on loss of power as I think I have the same issue. Everything was fine and then one day I'm like something is different with this car. Lack of response on throttle and general lag. Happened during early July heatwave. Been monitoring it but I know something is off. I scheduled a visit to the dealer but need to know what relays they should replace. I heard Intercooler Pump relay and Intercooler Efficiency relay. Can someone let me know if there are two or one in the same? Regardless, I am having them replaced whether they say they are good or not.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I've been reading a couple of threads on loss of power as I think I have the same issue. Everything was fine and then one day I'm like something is different with this car. Lack of response on throttle and general lag. Happened during early July heatwave. Been monitoring it but I know something is off. I scheduled a visit to the dealer but need to know what relays they should replace. I heard Intercooler Pump relay and Intercooler Efficiency relay. Can someone let me know if there are two or one in the same? Regardless, I am having them replaced whether they say they are good or not.
Hi
The relays are behind the pass side headlamp. Mounted on a bulkhead so to speak. There’s small cutout accessed from engine compartment or remove RF wheel liner. There are three sets of relay sockets. Big question is which is the correct relay for ic pump. I first changed middle socket relay in that had only 1 relay but no change. I then changed the relay in socket set closest to engine bay. That worked for me. Keep us updated please.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Thanks GTV. I will let you know. Dealer visit in two weeks. I took ownership in May. Did the break in period to 800 miles. June was fantastic. Throttle was so sensitive and dynamic. Then it was like a switch went off. Hoping it's just a bad relay switch.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts