Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

First time ever in a Giulia forum. I have been a member of all the other bmw, porsche, aston martin forums. I have not had a fun car in a year since I sold my 964 Pcar. Since then I had invested in a new business and had my 2nd child. I sold the 964 when i realized that I would not be driving it for a long time and I needed additional money to get my new business off the ground.

I had been driving a Honda Crosstour that I picked up for cheap and I have been using it as my daily driver. Its sooo horrible to drive. I get depressed every time I get behind the wheel. I have never driven a car with smaller ball than this and so I started looking for a fun car that can I can daily and haul my 2 kids around in with a stroller.

So after reading about the Giulia, I was very interested. I have not driven one yet but I have read every review and watched every youtube review. The car sounds perfect. Fast enough to have a little fun and not over power the chassis, and practical enough to daily drive with kids.

I have an appointment on Tuesday with OC Fiat to test drive the Giulia.

My question is what are some must have features that you guys recommend and why?

TIA!

My car history is:
2013 Honda Crosstour (dont laugh, i admit it very boring) - current daily driver
1990 964 Porsche 911 - sold
2010 Aston Martin V8 Vantage - sold
2011 BMW M3 - sold
2008 Porsche Cayman S - sold

·
Registered
2,988 Posts
Welcome to the forum :)

Good luck picking up your new car tomorrow.

I'm assuming that OC is Orange County in So Cal. Not to far from me in Venice.

We just put 10,000 miles on our Giulia Ti in two months. We drove to Maine and back. No issues. Great highway car. Excellent in the canyons and back roads. She's a great driver's car. The passenger's seat is great too.

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
Why the Base and not the Ti....??

Seems like you are accustomed to some high end rides....Sunroof (if you're not too tall), Sport Seats, Staggered wheels, Leather dash, 5 hole dark phone dials.....at the very least....collision avoidance is nice too....probably gets you some insurance discount....D

Reactions: Alfa in Vegas

·
Registered
52 Posts
Having been freed myself from the tyranny of extended Honda ownership ...
If you are going for the base and not the Ti -- you want the Sport package interior and exterior is a must have (paddles+++!!). SiriusXM if you like your tunes beamed in. Skip the TomTom based Navi unless the car already has it. If you are taller than 5' 9" - definitely skip the sunroof. Color to taste and enjoy!

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
Base is fine if the Sports seats are too bolstered for you, but I then like the sport interior/exterior packages. All the safety packages seem worthwhile, and work quite well. The navigation is a work in progress, and the Bluetooth is pretty hit and miss with iPhones.

Without a Ti seat upgrade (Sport or Lusso), the seats can be a little short in the base and have no base tilt adjustment. As for the sunroof, no solid cover but the fabric cover and whatever coating they use rejects the heat pretty well. I'm 5'11' and have no clearance issues with the sunroof.

Since the '17's will never be fully phone compatible, make sure and secure a decent discount since the '18's are rolling out now. If you can, check the drivers door b-pillar, just above the latch, and get a post-March '17 build if you don't get an '18.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Welcome to the club,
I got mine just 2 weeks ago.
Base is fine for me, I got the base with interior and exterior sport package, aluminum interior with paddle shifters, minus the Front sensors, adaptive cruise and sports bulky seats. Getting the Ti would had been nice but it would have added $120 more to my monthly payments. I'm very happy how the car handles. Don't forget to negotiated the sh*t out of it.
enjoy!

·
Registered
2,988 Posts
I have the Ti Sport package AWD.... two things I would change: 1) add the leather package; 2) go 2WD with the sports pack that provides the limited slip.
That's what we got. Well, almost. Ti with Lusso leather interior and RWD with LSD. Then I bought four 19x9 dark teledial wheels for it. The Harmon Kardon upgrade is nice too.

·
Registered
647 Posts
We have the base Q4 (AWD) with sports appearance package both inside and outside, plus 8.8" screen/NAV/AM/FM HD,Serius/XM/bluetooth
package ($1900). The Serius/XM is not important to me and expensive after the first free year, will cancel. The HD FM is excellent in Seattle.
The base default 8 speaker system sounds excellent to me (audio hobbyist), forget the HK upgrade IMO.

The inside sports package ($600) on the base Giulia adds aluminum accents and pedals, leather wrapped steering wheel,
column mounted paddle shifters (great fun), highly recommended package. I am 6-4, 230 lbs and the driver's seats is super
comfortable with plenty of headroom and legroom! My wife is 5.1 and also loves the seats.

The exterior sports appearance package ($1250), highly recommended package. Adds 18" x 8", 5 hole aluminum sports wheels,
225/45R18 BSW all season RFT tires, sport front and rear facias, black window surround moldings, custom painted brake calipers
(yellow calipers on mine ... see my photos in my just previous post), highly recommended package.

To keep the price down to about 45k or less MSRP I found our base AWD Giulia in stock, 38.2k out the door! My wife and I are not into racing
or track driving. We just wanted a high performance sports sedan that was gorgeous inside and out and fun to drive both in town
and on the freeway. The steering, suspension and power when needed are exhilarating. The dynamic drive mode and paddle shifters
are awesome when we want to let it all hang out when appropriate. This Alfa is awesome! We passed on any sunroof, lane change,
other features that I can do without. The Ti version is 2k more MSRP, plus many in stock have extra packages which to us
are too much extra money and not essential.

My base paint is gorgeous and we passed on the tri-coat metallic paint, too expensive. We are 100% happy!

Enjoy your new Giulia! :smile2:

Reactions: Bash

·
Registered
52 Posts
Post March?

I'm also looking at a base Giulia with the sport interior and exterior packages. The color choices seem really sparse where I live, nearly every car is black/black or gray/black. I just want something a bit more exciting so the one I'm looking at is the base white with red leather. It also has the panoramic roof option and larger screen, so sticker is just about $45k. My first choice was the dark blue/tan, but there is nothing like that short of a loaded Ti lusso, which is gorgeous, but just doesn't seem worth $10k more for my needs.

The main issue I have is that I live 2.5 hours away from the nearest dealer. I test drove one briefly a few months ago and loved it, but haven't seen the pano roof in the flesh. Is the interior cover fully opaque or is it only mesh? I'm only 5'6" so headroom isn't too much of a concern, but I do like to be able to block out the light on occasion.

I'm taking a bit of a risk living so far from a dealership, but what the heck, it's an Alfa and I've been a fan for many years.

Interestingly, I saw the mentions here about the post March-built cars. I obviously can't look in the door jam, but the invoice the dealer emailed me shows an invoice date of 1/25/17! This car has been sitting for a long time. What is it about the pre-March cars I might have to be concerned about? I also do wonder why a car with this equipment and an exciting color has been sitting for so long...

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
Sunroof: Interior blocking via a motorized fabric shade on the front and a manual fabric shade on the back panel. It is NOT opaque, but even here in Texas, you can see the sun through the fabric, but very little heat is transmitted. If you want opaque, skip the sunroof.

Pre-March cars: I'm not sure what you mean by an "invoice" date, but it certainly seems likely to be a Pre-April 2017 car. The March and before cars have to older software versions for both the infotainment and engine control systems. If you have the Navi, make sure it's updated first. Regardless, the engine update needs to be done.

However, having said all that, my Jan '17 build has been pretty trouble free. Before the updates got done, I lost my radio presets once. Otherwise, it works great. Pre-April '17 isn't a killer on the deal, but it is a negotiating tool.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Thanks for the feedback, AlfaCrisis. I'm thinking the extra light during our long winters may outweigh the slight glare from the sun in the summer. The car I'm looking at doesn't have navigation, but I have to imagine they can update the software before they deliver the car to me and the engine update is likely a service bulletin, anyway. I just have to get comfortable with the distance to the dealer now. On the other hand, I'll likely be the only Alfa in town, so that could offer some fun.

I imagine the invoice date is the date that the car arrived at the dealership, or very close to it. It's the date that the factory changed ownership to the dealer (and started charging him interest on the car). The dealer has been paying floor plan interest on this car for going on eight months now and they are about to start getting 2018 models.

·
Registered
271 Posts
I have a base model, to me after owning a 328I coupe and a four series gran coupe, I miss the sport seats. however with my budget I wasn't able to get a TI, since most of the TI's are almost fully equipped. Either way, you will love this car. PERIOD

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
Steve, I hate sunroofs and the wife loves them. I usually forget I have one, if that helps.

The dealer "should" update the car before delivery. Tell your salesman you will walk over to Service when you arrive for delivery and have them pull the cars VIN to show all pending service items. RRT's are the most important, and ask if they've fixed the glove box yet. If you know the VIN of the car you are looking at, a message to AlfaRomeoCares on this forum might gain insight into what has been updated, as updates are tracked by VIN number.

·
Registered
646 Posts
I have the Ti Sport package AWD.... two things I would change: 1) add the leather package; 2) go 2WD with the sports pack that provides the limited slip.
Interesting. I thought I would miss the leather dash package but I don't. Also I have the performance pack on my AWD and it is amazing. I don't strictly need AWD where I live, but after doing 3 back to back testings over about 2 months of AWD vs RWD comparison, for me the AWD is definitely quicker.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Steve, I have the sunroof, too, and live in Vegas where it's almost never not sunny. The cover does let in light, but blocks out direct light, so I don't notice a glare on the instruments when I have it closed. I do find that even with it closed, the car does get hot on the inside in the dead heat of summer, but it cools off pretty quickly. I've never had anyone in the backseat, so I don't know if it's nice having a glass roof back there, too, or not. As for build, my car is an 11/16 build and has been trouble free. I just got the updates done last week, just because I happened to be by the dealer and asked how far behind I was, so they did them all - except for the infotainment update. But I've had no issues with it.

So, get the sunroof and don't worry about early build...and enjoy your Giulia!

·
Registered
38 Posts
Got the 2019 Giulia Sport with the new Nero package, love this car. I cant get over the top quality feel of the car even at the base model level, best of all this car was the managers car and it was immaculate. Plus cant beat that I got it for 22k.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts