Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, Ive been doing on my own cars for some time now with consumer grade coatings (Gyeon mostly) and paint correction. I would like to get my car done professionally and I feel like im getting crazy quotes - $1200-$1800 without paint correction on most. Can anyone recommend someone to me?

·
Registered
766 Posts
You could also do it yourself for a lot less. Jet Seal or Hydrocharge by Chemical Guys provides a good paint sealant when compared to these commercial brands, are easy to apply, and cost about $40. Ceramic coating is nothing more than a paint seal and does nothing to prevent rock chips. Both these products are easy to apply and can be waxed afterwards for deeper shine.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Another alternative is V7 Sealant. I use that quite a bit on all of my toys and I'm pleased with the results.

·
Registered
444 Posts
I did the full cquartz thing myself and am VERY happy. If you have a weekend to spare and interest in learning, it's worth your time.
EDIT: I just reread your post and realize you already know this. Why switching to a pro?

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I did the full cquartz thing myself and am VERY happy. If you have a weekend to spare and interest in learning, it's worth your time.
EDIT: I just reread your post and realize you already know this. Why switching to a pro?
I cant get the paint 100% perfect and these consumer grade coatings aren't lasting. I do not use car washes. I wash at home with PH neutral washes. I use a silicon spray every few months , but even that is leaving streaks that need to be buffed, causing me to have to redo the whole panel in ceramic.

·
Registered
444 Posts
Innnnnteresting. Yeah, I just did it for the first time. We shall see, I suppose! My silicon spray didn't seem to leave any streaks - I did 2 coats of CQuartz and then one pass with Carpro Reload. But it's been like, two weeks.

I cant get the paint 100% perfect and these consumer grade coatings aren't lasting. I do not use car washes. I wash at home with PH neutral washes. I use a silicon spray every few months , but even that is leaving streaks that need to be buffed, causing me to have to redo the whole panel in ceramic.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Innnnnteresting. Yeah, I just did it for the first time. We shall see, I suppose! My silicon spray didn't seem to leave any streaks - I did 2 coats of CQuartz and then one pass with Carpro Reload. But it's been like, two weeks.
I used Gtechniq and the the third time Gyeon. Gyeon was pretty good, but the "slickness" disappeared after 1 month. The reload is what I used and it just constantly leaves streaks.

·
Registered
704 Posts

·
Registered
444 Posts
I'm a microfiber man myself.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

·
Registered
704 Posts
I have used the Japanese manufactured "the absorber" for drying myself after showers at the gym for a while now and am very happy with the result. I know it's claimed to scratch cars, but if I use it exactly as I use on my body, which is tap to dry instead of wipe to dry, I've never got scratches out of its use, plus there is absolutely nothing on the market that will absorb every little drop of liquid like "the absorber" does. On the other hand, I've almost always scratched with microfibers. HOWEVER, almost all reviewers claim the opposite. I must live in an upside down world. :D

·
Registered
108 Posts
@Breakthecycle2 your experience with the consumer grade coatings is interesting. I just did Crystal Serum Light/Exo on my Giulia and I'm curious how it will hold up. I'll just use Beadmaker after washing. My concern with professional coatings is that I'm going to have to paint-correct the car again in two years or so anyway so I don't see the benefit if a consumer grade will last me two years. It will be interesting to see if you like the professional coating better.

I did find the paint on the Giulia harder than I expected when correcting. But since I daily drive the car and my family isn't particularly careful around it I was happy with 95% correction knowing I'm going to have to do it again sooner rather than later.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
@Breakthecycle2 your experience with the consumer grade coatings is interesting. I just did Crystal Serum Light/Exo on my Giulia and I'm curious how it will hold up. I'll just use Beadmaker after washing. My concern with professional coatings is that I'm going to have to paint-correct the car again in two years or so anyway so I don't see the benefit if a consumer grade will last me two years. It will be interesting to see if you like the professional coating better.

I did find the paint on the Giulia harder than I expected when correcting. But since I daily drive the car and my family isn't particularly careful around it I was happy with 95% correction knowing I'm going to have to do it again sooner rather than later.
I just had it done yesterday professionally actually. The guy comes to you and the price was great. He was fantastic. He spent over 11 hours here. My paint didnt need to much correction, but he took his time and got it as perfect as possible.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts