Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2018 Vulcano Black Giulia Quadrifoglio
4,617 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I check my pad thickness every few weeks, and I know my rears are getting low. When I was at the dealer yesterday, we were talking about what to replace them with and I said I wanted ebc yellow, but don't want the yellow backing plate. The service tech said he could spray paint the backing plate for me if I brought him paint so I'm wondering if anyone has done this before and has any suggestions.

When I asked Auto fanatic about this since he ran ebc yellow and painted his, he said he used Rust-Oleum. Since I've never done this before, I want to make sure that whatever I would use wouldn't cause problems under high heat or weather conditions.

·
Registered
869 Posts
There are places that sell engine enamel, which while isn't suitable for things like exhaust headers, will work fine on a backing plate. Pus comes in a lot more colors. The trick will be adequate cleaning of the plate for the paint to stick. In any area, Pep Boys has the best selection. Might suggest an appropriate primer. Be sure to read what the drying time is for your selection. Another choice would be a wheel paint. I have used all sorts of paints for my own car parts. Best to read the instructions well, esp with two light coats then a heavier one in a few minutes, avoids runs and drips. Not to mention bringing some suitable drape for behind the plate, avoiding overspray. And if you spray with brake cleaner to clean off the plate, it will inhibit a smooth coat, best to wipe down with a proper de-waxing preparation. I have leaned a lot with what works and what doesn't with my own restorations. enjoy, NV

·
Registered
4,617 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I like the idea of wheel paints and grill paints. I'll do some research

·
Registered
869 Posts
Oh, I think I misunderstood the OP's question. I didn't understand that he wants to paint the actual brake pad plate. I thought he meant the non-contact brake backing plate used on many cars, which our disc brake cars actually don't have. I have ultra high temp paint from VHT, ratted 1300-2000 degrees. I bought mine at. Pep Boys, but others sell it too. Thin coats would work better, I think. A brake pad will get a lot hotter than a caliper, so the usual epoxy caliper paint may not be suitable. NV

·
Registered
4,617 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'm going to check out my local store. Good idea!

·
Registered
4,617 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Can you just sand or grind off the paint they put on them?
I hadn't thought of that. It's ebc yellow stuff that I want to remove the yellow from

·
Registered
2018 Q4 with Fiamenghi Ti exhaust, Race Mod, and Tecnico wheels.
7,921 Posts
If flat black is OK and you are worried about heat, get wood stove vent pipe paint. Available in spray cans for less than $20. It might require heating to a fairly high temp to fully "set", but can withstand stupid high temps.

Says 1200F.
If your brake pads are that hot you have bigger problems than the paint on them.

·
Vendor
152 Posts
I check my pad thickness every few weeks, and I know my rears are getting low. When I was at the dealer yesterday, we were talking about what to replace them with and I said I wanted ebc yellow, but don't want the yellow backing plate. The service tech said he could spray paint the backing plate for me if I brought him paint so I'm wondering if anyone has done this before and has any suggestions.

When I asked Auto fanatic about this since he ran ebc yellow and painted his, he said he used Rust-Oleum. Since I've never done this before, I want to make sure that whatever I would use wouldn't cause problems under high heat or weather conditions.
Hi there, although we can't recommend painting the pads for legal reasons, there are high temperature caliper paints that can withstand up to 900*F (482*C), one brand I know of is VHT who have a number of different colours. You should always let it dry overnight

·
Registered
4,617 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hi there, although we can't recommend painting the pads for legal reasons, there are high temperature caliper paints that can withstand up to 900*F (482*C), one brand I know of is VHT who have a number of different colours. You should always let it dry overnight
Just to be clear, it's not the pad I want to paint but the yellow backing plate since it will protrude from the caliper and clash against my red caliper and black car

·
Vendor
152 Posts
Just to be clear, it's not the pad I want to paint but the yellow backing plate since it will protrude from the caliper and clash against my red caliper and black car
i understand, but the backing plate will still get hot so you dont want to use regular paint, as it may melt, bubble or even stick to your caliper, then you'll have a real problem removing them!

·
Registered
4,617 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
i understand, but the backing plate will still get hot so you dont want to use regular paint, as it may melt, bubble or even stick to your caliper, then you'll have a real problem removing them!
That's what I'm afraid of. But it sounds like they if I get outdoor paint with a high heat, 1000+ then I should be fine.

All I need to do now is win one of your giveaways 😂🤞🏻

Reactions: EBC Brakes

·
Registered
4,327 Posts
I’ve used these a few times. I would recommend at least 3-4 hours between thin coats and 2 days full cure. Just a recommendation.

·
Registered
4,327 Posts
That's what I'm afraid of. But it sounds like they if I get outdoor paint with a high heat, 1000+ then I should be fine.

All I need to do now is win one of your giveaways 😂🤞🏻
Just remember anything you paint no matter what it is will always become a maintenance issue. So even 2000 degree paint is going to fail at some point.

·
Registered
4,617 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Perhaps, to avoid the hassle, go for OEM parts and sell the aftermarket ones. No need to pain those OEM parts !!!!
Just remember anything you paint no matter what it is will always become a maintenance issue. So even 2000 degree paint is going to fail at some point.
And that's why I'm leaning towards oem ☹

·
Registered
2020 Alfa Romeo Giulia Sport Ti AWD
7,761 Posts
Would it be a problem if the colors were red, white, and green?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts