Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
F150
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey all I am looking to join QV gang and have my eye on used (2017 & 2018) models. Especially 17' being that is first year production I have scoured forums in hopes of finding out 'must look for' when purchasing the vehicle. All vehicles I seen and been interested in so far have under 20,000 miles.

Battery
Various Software Updates

TSB/RRT -> Here Are All The Problems That FCA Has Attempted To Fix On The Alfa Romeo Giulia

Vehicle would be directly from a AR dealer, do I assume 11 points made from Jalopnik are taken care of by now?

Thank you in advance.

·
Registered
2,884 Posts
If your only paying 35-40k for a qv I wouldn’t worry about anything. Plenty of Car at that price point and worth any nagging issues. Common issues ETC codes and low battery voltage. Put a new battery in when you purchase it and Eliminate 99% of issues. Drive it hard and enjoy it

·
Registered
33 Posts
I have an early QV ‘17 with 18K miles.

Make sure you still have warranty left and buy an extended warranty.

Remove aftermarket parts prior to visiting the dealer for warranty repairs. Even a cat-back exhaust can void the warranty even though it implies it doesn’t in the warranty manual, ask me how I know.

They are enjoyable but I have had multiple issues with my Quadrifoglio ‘17 requiring multiple visits and warranty repairs, I’m now with the extended warranty which makes replacements a pain because you have to get pre-approval and in my case a $100 deductible:
  • Dome light replaced (to correct alarm going off)
  • Battery replaced (auto start/stop not working)
  • Wire harness connector replaced to fix constant service electronic damper light (required 4 visits to finally find problem and get it fixed)
  • Fuel pump replaced (electronic throttle control light while driving, car defaulting to N mode, car wouldn’t start when hot)
  • Accessory belt and pulleys replaced due to whining noise
  • Exterior door handle replaced due to lock button getting stuck
  • Radio replaced because after a software update it wouldn’t upload gps maps in spite of dealer attempting multiple ways
  • The latest was that 2 1/2 years after the wire harness connector was fixed to eliminate the service electronic damper light, it started appearing again and I had 1 shock replaced (didn’t fix the issue) and then the electronic module replaced (so far fixed the issue)

Minor things:
  • The hood release handle is not sitting flush anymore under the dash in its resting posand should be replaced but is a minor thing and will fix at some other point
  • Software update to have the oil level properly display on the dash
  • Software update to have the MPH display on the center dash while on Race mode (it is standard in the later models)

Major issue:
I had an axle-shaft failure at its junction with the differential, it was not covered under warranty because the dealer stated the axle shaft was touched by the other dealer that installed the exhaust, which doesn’t make any sense, but that is a discussion for another day.

My sincere advise is pay more for peace of mind and get a late ‘18 with more factory warranty left.

·
Registered
2017 Giulia QV Rosso Competizione
173 Posts
My '17 hasn't had all those issues.
Just a battery, the stuck button on handle and the gas tank carbon filter that's causes difficulty when filling with gas. All replaced with little fanfare..

I'm going to go knock on wood now just to be safe. 😉

Where in Canada are you Luni?

·
Registered
F150
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
My '17 hasn't had all those issues.
Just a battery, the stuck button on handle and the gas tank carbon filter that's causes difficulty when filling with gas. All replaced with little fanfare..

I'm going to go knock on wood now just to be safe. 😉

Where in Canada are you Luni?
Good to hear! I am in central AB, you?

What battery did you end up putting in that plays well with our harsh winters?

Also, where can one find what the latest software update is for Maps, infotainment etc..?

·
Registered
F150
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

Remove aftermarket parts prior to visiting the dealer for warranty repairs. Even a cat-back exhaust can void the warranty even though it implies it doesn’t in the warranty manual, ask me how I know.

They are enjoyable but I have had multiple issues with my Quadrifoglio ‘17 requiring multiple visits and warranty repairs, I’m now with the extended warranty which makes replacements a pain because you have to get pre-approval and in my case a $100 deductible:
  • Wire harness connector replaced to fix constant service electronic damper light (required 4 visits to finally find problem and get it fixed)
  • Fuel pump replaced (electronic throttle control light while driving, car defaulting to N mode, car wouldn’t start when hot)
  • Radio replaced because after a software update it wouldn’t upload gps maps in spite of dealer attempting multiple ways
  • The latest was that 2 1/2 years after the wire harness connector was fixed to eliminate the service electronic damper light, it started appearing again and I had 1 shock replaced (didn’t fix the issue) and then the electronic module replaced (so far fixed the issue)

Minor things:
  • The hood release handle is not sitting flush anymore under the dash in its resting posand should be replaced but is a minor thing and will fix at some other point
  • Software update to have the MPH display on the center dash while on Race mode (it is standard in the later models)

Major issue:
I had an axle-shaft failure at its junction with the differential, it was not covered under warranty because the dealer stated the axle shaft was touched by the other dealer that installed the exhaust, which doesn’t make any sense, but that is a discussion for another day.

My sincere advise is pay more for peace of mind and get a late ‘18 with more factory warranty left.
Sounds like you have aftermarket / third party warranty. I would try and stay within something that's under factory warranty that can be extended.

Appreciate your detailed post, scary as it is I hope the dynamics and fun factor of this car still puts a smile on your face and you don't regret purchasing it in first place.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Sounds like you have aftermarket / third party warranty. I would try and stay within something that's under factory warranty that can be extended.

Appreciate your detailed post, scary as it is I hope the dynamics and fun factor of this car still puts a smile on your face and you don't regret purchasing it in first place.
Yeah, my extended warranty began 1 month ago, I used it for the radio, shock absorber, and electromagnetic shock controller unit only. The rest was under factory warranty.

If getting extended warranty get it through MOPAR, it’s called MOPAR vehicle protection (MVP).

I’ve gotten software and map updates through the dealer.

·
Registered
210 Posts
I have a 17’ QV and have had a fuel pump replaced under warranty and a cracked coolant tank (replaced it myself because I didn’t want to leave it at the dealer). The driver’s door seal was badly worn—also DIY replacement.

Car has 17k miles now and hasn’t been any more trouble than my Audis.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,043 Posts

Minor things:

Major issue:

Good advice. I too have a '17 and had some nagging issues when it was new but have gone away with parts and software:
  • CEL that kept coming back. Two new ECUs, fuel pump, and O2 sensor. This went back and forth for a few months with calls to Italy as the inexperienced dealer techs worked through it. I suspect that I didn't need the ECUs but they were swapped out during the troubleshooting.
  • Evey once in a while, I will get a CEL. I have the MultiECUScan software which lets me check what it is and allows me to do my own maintenance and reset service lights. I think I had one CEL with the front spoiler error in the last year. I reset it and the dealer re-calibrated and it has not yet come back.
  • I had a squeak in the driver's seat (Sparco) that I had them address and a rattle coming from the drivers mirror where it looks like one of the tabs securing the mirror inside the housing broke. Those are the only hardware related issues I have had.
Where I have spent money on this car
  • So far I spent $300 at the dealer for a full brake flush as a test strip showed that it was needed and I didn't want to tackle it myself. Self oil changes are about $120 in parts and oil. I also put on a set of PS4S tires from Costco where they are about $1,000 when on sale.
  • Extended 8-year warranty as well as road hazard. Best price is from Robbins Motors. I paid around $2,200. I'm still in factory warranty though so I have yet to use it. This is the MOPAR extended warranty.
  • A couple discrete CF bits from Madness such as a carbon V grille and emblem cover (around $300), and shifter surround and handle in CF (around $300 for both), and Coco Mats (around $250).
  • Performance upgrades I did stuff that I can easily remove when I go to the dealer. I hardly ever go since I do my own maintenance but I don't want to risk it with my warranty and extended warranty I can actually set everything back to stock in about 20 minutes. Madness MaxPowerPro ($800), GFB diverter valves ($280), OEM diverter valves to be able to quickly swap and also in case the GFB gave me trouble so I can swap back in (the GPF have been problem free $150), BMC drop-in filter ($80).
  • I also modified it so that the exhaust valves are open all the time but I can manually swap them off. This cost me about $7 in parts and about 30min to do.
All of these easy to reverse mods I would highly recommend. They really wake up the car, make it much more responsive and add a little more power, are easy to reverse, and are relatively inexpensive.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have a 2017 QV. I got a dealer demo, had 4K km on it when I bought it.
I highly recommend changing the tires to Michelin ps4s as soon as you can. Unless you are used to fickle overpowered rwd cars.
I don’t pay much attention to the whole ‘Alfa’s break down’ thing because I haven’t found it to be true at all.

the only other thing I would recommend you prepare for is to absolutely fall in love with a car that in my opinion is one of the greatest drivers cars ever made!

·
Registered
4 Posts
I also have a 2017 QV it's got 23k on the clock and to date not a single thing that I would call a problem. The plastic trim in the door pillar for the seat belt has popped out a couple of times probably due to puling the belt out a little to vigorously,pushed it back into place with a dob of adhesive the second time. Battery has gone flat twice, I am in Melbourne and the car doesn't like lock-downs. First jump start was a drama when every possible warning light came up on the dash, the Roadside Assist guy said just to give it a good run , with a 5k travel limit I virtually had to drive in circles for 45 minutes and managed to get rid of all but the engine check light, fortunately I was able to drive a longer distance next day with a work certificate and that went out after another 30 mins. Second jump start I ignored the lights and they all went out after about 20 mins. I have since bought a bettery booster. In short, like any car you may get issues but I believe the Giulia is far better than many more expensive brands. It is a different car, built to a different philosophy, in a different factory by pretty much different people and does not deserve to be tagged with the reliability reputation of earlier models. I also have an Audi and Jeep Grand Cherokee, both have been great cars with few or no reliability issues but they are totally boring to drive by comparison to the Alfa. Even a run to the supermarket is an enjoyable experience let alone a trip through the hills or on the freeway. I have never had any issues with touchy brakes and the steering is remarkable, it almost reads your mind. Like any late model car it is a complex with heaps of components and luck must be factored in, I guess I may have been lucky. Even owned a Triumph Herald once and had few problems!!?:oops:

·
Registered
F150
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I also have a 2017 QV it's got 23k on the clock and to date not a single thing that I would call a problem. The plastic trim in the door pillar for the seat belt has popped out a couple of times probably due to puling the belt out a little to vigorously,pushed it back into place with a dob of adhesive the second time. Battery has gone flat twice, I am in Melbourne and the car doesn't like lock-downs. First jump start was a drama when every possible warning light came up on the dash, the Roadside Assist guy said just to give it a good run , with a 5k travel limit I virtually had to drive in circles for 45 minutes and managed to get rid of all but the engine check light, fortunately I was able to drive a longer distance next day with a work certificate and that went out after another 30 mins. Second jump start I ignored the lights and they all went out after about 20 mins. I have since bought a bettery booster. In short, like any car you may get issues but I believe the Giulia is far better than many more expensive brands. It is a different car, built to a different philosophy, in a different factory by pretty much different people and does not deserve to be tagged with the reliability reputation of earlier models. I also have an Audi and Jeep Grand Cherokee, both have been great cars with few or no reliability issues but they are totally boring to drive by comparison to the Alfa. Even a run to the supermarket is an enjoyable experience let alone a trip through the hills or on the freeway. I have never had any issues with touchy brakes and the steering is remarkable, it almost reads your mind. Like any late model car it is a complex with heaps of components and luck must be factored in, I guess I may have been lucky. Even owned a Triumph Herald once and had few problems!!?:oops:
Thank you for detailed feedback. From the sounds of it I cannot wait to drive the vehicle as everyone describe the experience par none.

·
Registered
F150
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
I have a 2017 QV. I got a dealer demo, had 4K km on it when I bought it.
I highly recommend changing the tires to Michelin ps4s as soon as you can. Unless you are used to fickle overpowered rwd cars.
I don’t pay much attention to the whole ‘Alfa’s break down’ thing because I haven’t found it to be true at all.

the only other thing I would recommend you prepare for is to absolutely fall in love with a car that in my opinion is one of the greatest drivers cars ever made!
Most threads I am reading its either Michelin PS4S or Super Sport :unsure:

PS4S downside there is no true size for rears if I am not mistaken, what size are you running?

·
Registered
2017 Giulia QV Rosso Competizione
173 Posts
I have the Michelin A/S 3+ tires.
Very good..
Stock sizes.

·
Registered
7 Posts
255/35 19 front
295/30 19 rear
There is a slight amount of tire bulge, which I don’t mind at all, especially as it protects my rims from curb rash, but I know some people like the stretched tire look.
I would definitely go the ps4s over super sport, for the vastly superior wet handling

1 - 20 of 23 Posts