Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I haven't bought a Giulia yet, But this seems to be the car for me when I'm ready to move on from my current car Which is a 2015 Mazda 6 Touring with a 6 speed manual.

Previously I've owned

1989 Mazda Rx-7 GTUs
1989 Honda Civic Si
1999 Oldsmobile Intrigue
2002 Subaru WRX
2004 Mazda Rx-8

The Olds was the only one with a torque converter, and I have avoided them because i don't like the rubbery throttle feel where the wheels have to catch up to the engine. But my experience with the is from that era and I understand that this is not really a problem anymore.

What I want in a car is crisp handling, RWD, good power to weight ratio, decent MPG, and a LSD.

So I want a Giulia Ti Sport. I don't think anything comes close for the money, especially since I am avoiding the Germans. There a couple of others I'm looking at, but the Giulia is the only one that had me looking at the boards. Which is why I'm here. You guys seem like a nice community.

·
Registered
573 Posts
Welcome to the forum.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I came from a 2005 Lexus IS300 and prior to that had a 98' Pontiac GTP (modded too).......

Two extremes and I'd like to say the Giulia Ti Sport is a joy to drive. It feels solid and planted and had soo much personality. I've driven 5 series and 3 series cars and they are 'nice' but the Giulia is a whole new level. ALso young and old love the Alfa. I've had the car for 2 months now and I feel like own an exotic. Thumbs up and everyone just soo intrigued to learn about the car. When you hear kids say WHOA that's cool.....you know you picked right.

I have the Q4 (snows like heck here in Ontario, Canada) and with the right set of Pirrelli winters and rims the car works great. If your in nicer weather go for a Q2.

GET THE LEATHER UPGRADE PACKAGE and ALUMINUM UPGRADE PACKAGE!!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm from NY, so we do get some bad weather, but I figure if I get some wheels with winter tires, and save the 19's for the summer tires, I'll be fine.

I do want the leather upgrade. I think the Ti Sport already comes with the aluminum. I'll probably be looking at a 2019 MY, so I'll see how they get configured then. It'll definitely be a special order. I have the patience to wait.

·
Registered
5,016 Posts
I'm from NY, so we do get some bad weather, but I figure if I get some wheels with winter tires, and save the 19's for the summer tires, I'll be fine.

I do want the leather upgrade. I think the Ti Sport already comes with the aluminum. I'll probably be looking at a 2019 MY, so I'll see how they get configured then. It'll definitely be a special order. I have the patience to wait.
whatever you choose to purchase, choose your dealer wisely.:wink2:

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I've been playing around with the build app on the alfa website and noticed this in the interior options for the infotainament system. I don't care about the nav upgrade, but then it says this

"The 8.8-Inch AM / FM / HD Radio with Bluetooth® with Navigation is equipped with steering wheel controls, and a central rotary knob. System features bluetooth phone activation, AM/FM HD Radio, efficient drive mode screens and a media interface. Additionally the system features a 3D (1200 x 480 pixel)."

Does the standard 8.8 system not have the bolded features?

·
Registered
402 Posts
This is the problem with getting an Alfa. The reliability is still shoddy (sorry fanboys, it is). If I could do it over I'd go w/ an XE. If I had to rate the driving, the XE would get an 8/10; the Giulia a 10/10. But the problems with the Giulia and the time you'll spend addressing them do not compensate for those 2 points.

·
Registered
2,988 Posts
I haven't bought a Giulia yet, But this seems to be the car for me when I'm ready to move on from my current car Which is a 2015 Mazda 6 Touring with a 6 speed manual.

Previously I've owned

1989 Mazda Rx-7 GTUs
1989 Honda Civic Si
1999 Oldsmobile Intrigue
2002 Subaru WRX
2004 Mazda Rx-8

The Olds was the only one with a torque converter, and I have avoided them because i don't like the rubbery throttle feel where the wheels have to catch up to the engine. But my experience with the is from that era and I understand that this is not really a problem anymore.

What I want in a car is crisp handling, RWD, good power to weight ratio, decent MPG, and a LSD.

So I want a Giulia Ti Sport. I don't think anything comes close for the money, especially since I am avoiding the Germans. There a couple of others I'm looking at, but the Giulia is the only one that had me looking at the boards. Which is why I'm here. You guys seem like a nice community.
Welcome to the forum :smile2:

We have something similar to what you've described. A 2017 Alfa Romeo Giulia Ti Q2. She is:
- Crisp handling
- RWD
- Good power to weight ratio (even better now with an aftermarket tune)
- Decent MPG
- LSD

Keep in mind the the 'Sport Package' does not include the LSD. 'Sport' is just the cosmetic kit with paddle shifters. To get the LSD, you need the 'Ti Performance Package', which include: LSD, Active Suspension, and Paddle Shifters only.

We got the Lusso package, not the Sport Pack as we wanted the real wood and cream leather seats. The Sport pack was also attractive, but not necessary as I already daily a true sport car. We went for the luxury sedan comfort with sleeper performance.

Yes, she's a great touring car, a dream on the Interstate and very nimble in the twisties.

I upgraded the wheels to 19x9 on all four corners (dark five hole) and they fill out the wheel well just right. Looks great and drives great.

In Dynamic Manual mode, she shifts crisp and clean. She does have a true torque converter, but she doesn't drive like a typical slush-box. I never really noticed any 'rubbery' feel about the car, then with an aftermarket performance tune, she was transformed into even better yet.

Take one out for a test drive. I bet you'll be ready to purchase after five miles.

·
Registered
2,988 Posts
I've been playing around with the build app on the alfa website and noticed this in the interior options for the infotainament system. I don't care about the nav upgrade, but then it says this

"The 8.8-Inch AM / FM / HD Radio with Bluetooth® with Navigation is equipped with steering wheel controls, and a central rotary knob. System features bluetooth phone activation, AM/FM HD Radio, efficient drive mode screens and a media interface. Additionally the system features a 3D (1200 x 480 pixel)."

Does the standard 8.8 system not have the bolded features?
The NAV upgrade is separate of the radio or screen size. Both the radio and Sat Nav share the screen of the Infotainment Center.

If you want the radio without the Nav, select the 6.5 AM/FM. If you want a better sound system (with or without Nav) select the Harmon Kardon Premium Sound System.

We went with the 8.8 Nav and Harmon Kardon system. The stereo is great, but the Nav is a waste of $500. Our first car with built-in Sat Nav.

I'm almost certain all variations have the same controls.

·
Registered
2,988 Posts
This is the problem with getting an Alfa. The reliability is still shoddy (sorry fanboys, it is). If I could do it over I'd go w/ an XE. If I had to rate the driving, the XE would get an 8/10; the Giulia a 10/10. But the problems with the Giulia and the time you'll spend addressing them do not compensate for those 2 points.
I can argue this point, but I'll try not to.

Yes, the dealer can make or break things. Especially if you need some warranty work done later. All car manufactures have their issues, this includes Alfa Romeo. Not every Alfa owner has experienced problems with their new Giulia. I for one, have 13,000 miles on my Giulia Ti Q2 without issue. We've driven her from coast to coast and back as well as plenty of twisty canyon/mountain roads.

No car manufacture has a 100% record of no issues. Ever. Is Alfa Romeo better or worse than other manufactures? I think not.

What will be hard to dispute is how enjoyable it is to drive an Alfa Romeo.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Welcome to the forum :smile2:

Keep in mind the the 'Sport Package' does not include the LSD. 'Sport' is just the cosmetic kit with paddle shifters. To get the LSD, you need the 'Ti Performance Package', which include: LSD, Active Suspension, and Paddle Shifters only.

We got the Lusso package, not the Sport Pack as we wanted the real wood and cream leather seats. The Sport pack was also attractive, but not necessary as I already daily a true sport car. We went for the luxury sedan comfort with sleeper performance.

Yes, she's a great touring car, a dream on the Interstate and very nimble in the twisties.

I upgraded the wheels to 19x9 on all four corners (dark five hole) and they fill out the wheel well just right. Looks great and drives great.

In Dynamic Manual mode, she shifts crisp and clean. She does have a true torque converter, but she doesn't drive like a typical slush-box. I never really noticed any 'rubbery' feel about the car, then with an aftermarket performance tune, she was transformed into even better yet.

Take one out for a test drive. I bet you'll be ready to purchase after five miles.
Yeah, i want the Ti sport for the seats, the staggered wheels on summer tires, and the black trim. I know about the LSD in the performance package. If I could get the LSD without the adaptive suspension I'd do that but they come together.

Ive been reading the forums, and saw you were waiting for the EC tune. Is that what you got?

·
Registered
2018 Q4 with Fiamenghi Ti exhaust, Race Mod, and Tecnico wheels.
7,727 Posts
Just to clarify: according to what I read in the forums the rate of issues with Giulia is not abnormally high, but the time to get a problem diagnosed and fixed can be very high if you don't have the "right" dealer. Some expected functionality (compared to BMW or Audi) may be absent.
Durability is a whole different issue. This car is far too new to have any idea if it can be expected to last 50,000, 100,000, 200,000 or 400,000 miles before needing a rebuild.

2018 Giulia Q4 sport everything. No sun roof or HK audio as I see both as weight and complexity that does nothing for me. 3500 miles and no problems that need a repair. Still contemplating what dealer to use for maintenance that I don't want to do myself.

The exterior sport package comes with aerodynamic improvements over Lusso. The sport seats certainly keep you secure in your position, although they also make driver egress more difficult. The 19" 5 hole wheels are marginally lighter than the OEM 18" wheels and look much better IMO.

At least according to the MPG and speedo in the car:
I get (driving the max speed that is unlikely to yield a ticket)
37-38 MPG at 60MPH (secondary roads)
32-33 MPG at 70MPH (most California freeways)
30-31 MPG at 75MPH (select California freeways)

A curiously strong function of speed, similar to my "aerodynamics of a brick" pickup truck and unlike my other cars.

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
The AWD only kicks in when needed, otherwise it behaves like a RWD. I find it useful living in Long Island.

Reactions: JuliaQ4-Nut

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
Just to clarify: according to what I read in the forums the rate of issues with Giulia is not abnormally high, but the time to get a problem diagnosed and fixed can be very high if you don't have the "right" dealer. Some expected functionality (compared to BMW or Audi) may be absent.
Durability is a whole different issue. This car is far too new to have any idea if it can be expected to last 50,000, 100,000, 200,000 or 400,000 miles before needing a rebuild.

2018 Giulia Q4 sport everything. No sun roof or HK audio as I see both as weight and complexity that does nothing for me. 3500 miles and no problems that need a repair. Still contemplating what dealer to use for maintenance that I don't want to do myself.

The exterior sport package comes with aerodynamic improvements over Lusso. The sport seats certainly keep you secure in your position, although they also make driver egress more difficult. The 19" 5 hole wheels are marginally lighter than the OEM 18" wheels and look much better IMO.

A curiously strong function of speed, similar to my "aerodynamics of a brick" pickup truck and unlike my other cars.
I have the sport seats and find no problem entering or exiting the car even with a replaced hip. They are very comfortable and are a great asset to this car. I sat in a Lusso and I felt like I would be sliding around.

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
Welcome aboard WestyEngineer. Do you plan on joining NYAROC when you get your car? Good luck with the purchase.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Well I have had mine for a few months and have not had one single problem. I think you are mistaking reliability with serviceability. I see no evidence that the cars are any less reliable than others. Instead I get the impression from comments in the forum that the service network is not yet full-speed on how to fix the problems that do arise. That will change as service departments and techs gain experience.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Funny, my experience with California freeways is that they are more like 10-15 MPH roads.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
The AWD only kicks in when needed, otherwise it behaves like a RWD. I find it useful living in Long Island.
I'm glad you got what you wanted. t seems like the dealers around here think its what everyone wants, because the AWD models are all hey have.

·
Premium Member
2,086 Posts
Welcome! You're not too far from me. I went with AWD for the weather up here as it's currently a DD and I will get another car later for fun. The AWD has EXCELLENT handling and I track my Q4 and not a single problem so far @8k. Just a word to the wise, the RWD does not 'yet' have the ability to turn traction off, it bothers some. That's only available in the QV race mode version. Not sure if that bothers you but just be aware :)

It's an amazing car coming from an FDRX7 ex owner :)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Nice, I always wanted an FD, great looking cars.

I don't any configuration has teh ability to turn TC off, but the LSD on the Q2 is said to prevent it from engaging to early. I just really want a a RWD with an LSD.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts