Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Giulia was purchased out of state so I'll, therefore, need to have any and all service performed by a local dealer. I assume anyone will perform warranty repairs or maintenance on the vehicle but is the use of loaner cars strictly up to the dealer's discretion? I assume I can be refused a loaner simply because I didn't purchase the vehicle at their dealership, yes?

·
Registered
332 Posts
I think it?s going to be dealer dependent. I have a decent relationship with one that isn?t local and they accommodate regardless of not buying there. The local one where I purchased just says they will provide rental and reimburse if the repair is covered under warranty. Not surprising because they suck serious ass.

·
Registered
5,017 Posts
My Giulia was purchased out of state so I'll, therefore, need to have any and all service performed by a local dealer. I assume anyone will perform warranty repairs or maintenance on the vehicle but is the use of loaner cars strictly up to the dealer's discretion? I assume I can be refused a loaner simply because I didn't purchase the vehicle at their dealership, yes?
Yes has nothing to do with Alfa Romeo NA....pretty much the same with all other marques as well...
that said..I have never been turned down for a loaner by a none selling dealer....I have had to wait for an appointment with a loaner but was never denied.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Pretty sure alfas policy is to try and get you into a Giulia loaner. I am inferring this based on the fact that the survey I received had that as one of the questions to me. It’s stated “did the dealer provide you with a Julia loaner car while your car was being serviced”
I received a giulia loaner

·
Registered
420 Posts
Pretty sure alfas policy is to try and get you into a Giulia loaner. I am inferring this based on the fact that the survey I received had that as one of the questions to me. It’s stated “did the dealer provide you with a Julia loaner car while your car was being serviced”
I received a giulia loaner
That is my understanding as well.

·
Registered
303 Posts
I hope not to need a loaner in the first year but I note that many owners of Giulia seem to have had several trips to the Service Department. That being the case, the loaner program and commitment is important. I hope my prospective dealer is good on this promise.

·
Registered
630 Posts
Pretty sure alfas policy is to try and get you into a Giulia loaner
I disagree. A Grand Jedi Master once said, "Do. Or do not. There is no try." There is absolutely no Alfa Romeo/ FCA/ FCA US policy that says anyone in any position of authority will "try" to get you into a Giulia loaner. Furthermore, there is no stipulation or requirement in any dealer franchise agreement that they provide loaners at all. This is 100% up to the individual dealer.

Quite frankly, most Alfa dealers are very reserved when it comes to their "investment" in the Alfa Romeo brand, to put it nicely. I sense there is a great deal of apprehension on both sides, which means the customer is stuck in the middle of rather sad business arrangement. Tesla is a pioneer in breaking the 20th century business model of franchise dealers. But even within that antiquated system, it is still possible for good dealers to thrive and meet lofty customer expectations if they truly want to and if the manufacturer supports it.

To speak more directly, a tiny minority of dealers have Alfa loaners at all. Most are going to kick you to the nearest Enterprise dealer, where FCA absolutely does have a policy that Enterprise is to provide only FCA vehicles to customers whose Alfa Romeo is in the shop for warranty work. Thus, your choices are going to be pretty atrocious to say the least. On the day I needed a rental, the choices were a pathetic Jeep Patriot or an equally sad Dodge Caravan.

This is no way to build a luxury brand. IMO the correct way to do it would be to require dealers provide Maserati Ghibli loaners. This would endear customers to the prestige FCA Italian brands and encourage customers to move up when the opportunity arises. At the very least customers should get a base Giulia or Stelvio. Imagine Audi, BMW, Mercedes, Acura, Lexus or Jaguar putting a customer in a Hyundai Elantra loaner?

A crappy Enterprise rental car sure beats walking but when you're paying these prices it just alienates customers further who are already dismayed at the need for unscheduled service. I don't think Alfa can survive very long based on product alone. Customer experience is equally important in this competitive market and it is here that Alfa struggles the most. Ferrari might have enough brand power to be able to treat their customers like crap and still have a line out the door of eager buyers waiting to get in. But Alfa Romeo does not.

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
I have a Grand Cherokee loaner now. I can't complain.

·
Registered
328 Posts
To speak more directly, a tiny minority of dealers have Alfa loaners at all. Most are going to kick you to the nearest Enterprise dealer, where FCA absolutely does have a policy that Enterprise is to provide only FCA vehicles to customers whose Alfa Romeo is in the shop for warranty work. Thus, your choices are going to be pretty atrocious to say the least. On the day I needed a rental, the choices were a pathetic Jeep Patriot or an equally sad Dodge Caravan.

This is no way to build a luxury brand. IMO the correct way to do it would be to require dealers provide Maserati Ghibli loaners. This would endear customers to the prestige FCA Italian brands and encourage customers to move up when the opportunity arises. At the very least customers should get a base Giulia or Stelvio. Imagine Audi, BMW, Mercedes, Acura, Lexus or Jaguar putting a customer in a Hyundai Elantra loaner?.
When I first went to my servicing dealer (different from my purchasing dealer) for warranty work, they put me in a Chevy Impala from enterprise which Alfa paid for, so I'm unsure of your claim that FCA mandates Enterprise to provide FCA vehicles. I don't blame them for throwing me in a rental as I'm sure before ever meeting me, on paper my younger age didn't elicit excitement to put me into their Maserati loaners.

However after building a relationship with them, when I went in for my 10K mile service and a couple warranty issues they put me right into the Ghibli loaner. A much better experience and the way it ought to be for more owners, though frankly I would buy 2 Alfas before ever considering purchasing a Ghibli.

To answer vdr's question, yes any dealer will perform the servicing work on your Alfa, however they don't have a requirement to provide you a loaner car off their lot, but they are required to obtain you a rental car that Alfa pays for as long as the work is covered under warranty.

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
Nik which dealer was this if you don't mind me asking? I'll have to take my QV in for service at some point.....

·
Registered
630 Posts
so I'm unsure of your claim that FCA mandates Enterprise to provide FCA vehicles.
If Enterprise has FCA vehicles available then you have no choice. Other brands are only authorized if there are no FCA vehicles available. This assumes you’re working through your authorized dealer and the FCA warranty administration process, which centrally bills FCA. The dealer has to provide the RO number to Enterprise in order for FCA to track the rental expense and tie it to the warranty claim.

If you’re broken down in the middle of nowhere then the rules are more flexible. In that situation you might have to pay out of pocket and then seek reimbursement. God help you if that’s the case. Same with tire & wheel road hazard claims if you’re in the middle of nowhere. Good luck!

·
Registered
328 Posts
Nik which dealer was this if you don't mind me asking? I'll have to take my QV in for service at some point.....
Herb Chambers Alfa Romeo of Boston. They're a Bentley, Rolls Royce, Lamborghini, and Maserati dealer as well. Very nice facility, I only had a scheduling issue the second time because other customers weren't returning the loaners...

I believe the service manager also told me they only have 1 dedicated Alfa tech right now and aside from my oil change I haven't had anything extensively serviced so I can't speak for how competent they are should there be any real issues (haven't personally met the tech), but with the cars they have on the lot I have pretty good faith in them.

Reactions: BostonDMD

·
Registered
2020 Alfa Romeo Giulia Sport Ti AWD
7,462 Posts
Herb Chambers Alfa Romeo of Boston. They're a Bentley, Rolls Royce, Lamborghini, and Maserati dealer as well. Very nice facility, I only had a scheduling issue the second time because other customers weren't returning the loaners...

I believe the service manager also told me they only have 1 dedicated Alfa tech right now and aside from my oil change I haven't had anything extensively serviced so I can't speak for how competent they are should there be any real issues (haven't personally met the tech), but with the cars they have on the lot I have pretty good faith in them.
Only one dedicated tech needed because Alfas are so reliable. :grin2:

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
Haha, that was a good one. Actually, I was shocked that Herb wound only have one Alfa tech. He has two Alfa dealerships west of Boston before you even get to Worcester. I visited both and got to hear a Quad startup at one last spring. They have had the 4C since it was released so this sounds even more strange. But who knows maybe some have left or there is a bit of turnover?

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I frankly couldn't care less as to what the loaner car is as long as they do, in fact, provide a loaner car. I purchased my Giulia out of state and when it came time to to have it serviced locally I was initially denied a loaner due to the fact that I didn't purchase the vehicle from the servicing dealer. After some correspondence with Alfa Cares the local service rep called me back and offered me a car provided that I delay my appointment until one became available. He specifically said that the loaner would be a Chrysler/ Jeep product but, as I told him, I'm absolutely fine with that. Hopefully this isn't something I'll have to do every time I take the vehicle in for service. It would be great if they'd simply accommodate a loaner request going forward without any intervention from Alfa.

To that end I purchased my Maserati out of state as well and I've *never* been denied a loaner at my local servicing dealer however they've also never provided me with a Maserati when in for service. I've often been in a Volvo and even a Jeep once but as I said it's all good as long as I have a way of getting around while my car is in their shop..

·
Registered
5,017 Posts
I disagree. A Grand Jedi Master once said, "Do. Or do not. There is no try." There is absolutely no Alfa Romeo/ FCA/ FCA US policy that says anyone in any position of authority will "try" to get you into a Giulia loaner. Furthermore, there is no stipulation or requirement in any dealer franchise agreement that they provide loaners at all. This is 100% up to the individual dealer.

Quite frankly, most Alfa dealers are very reserved when it comes to their "investment" in the Alfa Romeo brand, to put it nicely. I sense there is a great deal of apprehension on both sides, which means the customer is stuck in the middle of rather sad business arrangement. Tesla is a pioneer in breaking the 20th century business model of franchise dealers. But even within that antiquated system, it is still possible for good dealers to thrive and meet lofty customer expectations if they truly want to and if the manufacturer supports it.

This is no way to build a luxury brand. IMO the correct way to do it would be to require dealers provide Maserati Ghibli loaners. This would endear customers to the prestige FCA Italian brands and encourage customers to move up when the opportunity arises. At the very least customers should get a base Giulia or Stelvio. Imagine Audi, BMW, Mercedes, Acura, Lexus or Jaguar putting a customer in a Hyundai Elantra loaner?

A crappy Enterprise rental car sure beats walking but when you're paying these prices it just alienates customers further who are already dismayed at the need for unscheduled service. I don't think Alfa can survive very long based on product alone. Customer experience is equally important in this competitive market and it is here that Alfa struggles the most. Ferrari might have enough brand power to be able to treat their customers like crap and still have a line out the door of eager buyers waiting to get in. But Alfa Romeo does not.

in the last 25+ years I do not know of ANY Merc/BMW/Audi highline dealer etc that did not offer you a loaner when your car was left for ANY type of service....NOW when you got that appointment with a loaner is a different story...
that said...it is ZERO guarantee that you get a BMW loaner when you drop off...depends on how many loaners are in the fleet and how many are out....my car (E92 M3) was in for an extended period and they gave me a Grand Jeep Cherokee they rented from an agency...so it happens

·
Registered
80 Posts
I bought my Alfas from Alfa Westbury, Long Island. Fiat/ Alfa/ Dodge/Jeep/Chrysler/ Ram dealer.
Always give loaners when you make an appointment far enough in advance. I got a Giulia last service appointment. That's supposedly their policy. Alfa loaners for law customers.

·
Registered
33 Posts
if there's an issue with the car (happened to me) and you take it to the dealer, even if the dealer doesn't provide a loaner, you can call Alfa and they'll reimburse you for the rental (as long as it's reasonable). I took my car to the Alfa dealership in Stamford CT, and they didn't offer loaners for Alfa. If you brought in your Masserati, they did offer a loaner =)

·
Registered
5,017 Posts
if there's an issue with the car (happened to me) and you take it to the dealer, even if the dealer doesn't provide a loaner, you can call Alfa and they'll reimburse you for the rental (as long as it's reasonable). I took my car to the Alfa dealership in Stamford CT, and they didn't offer loaners for Alfa. If you brought in your Masserati, they did offer a loaner =)
if your talking about Miller's service dept. I have an appointment with them on Monday with a loaner..

1 - 20 of 37 Posts