Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, i was wondering what specifically is the loaner policy when leaving your car for service. I've searched through old forums post but found contradictory information. Took vehicle to a Alfa/Maserati/Fiat dealership, for parking sensor issue, and t57 recall. I didnt mind waiting since i just wanted to get my vehicle back today, but i was told that they didnt know how long it would take. I asked for a loaner they said they did not have any Alfa's only Maseratis (I guess us Alfa drivers dont deserve Maserati loaners) so i couldnt get a loaner. I would of been satisfied with any vehicle since i had errands to do and now im just stuck at browsing the interwebs.

Dealership is 17 miles away in Los Angeles traffic about 50mins, i was sent home in a uber. .Service center closes in 3 hrs no call on what the time frame would be for vehicle, so now im without vehicle till at least tomorrow morning it seems and it sounds like i have to figure out how to get back to the dealership on my own (Uber is $35).

·
Registered
63 Posts
I don't believe as general practice that they have a loaner program, it is dealer dependent. I got a loaner when I took mine in, but I'm friendly with the sales mgr so that may have played into it.

I generally don't expect a loaner when I take a car in for service, very few I know of offer them these days. I think the recall notice stated a loaner would/could be offered, but I'm not 100% sure.

·
Registered
5,009 Posts
Loaners Are Dealer Specific

there is no National or Corporate policy to service loaners. It is dealer specific...
My service dealer (Alfa/Maserati/Ferrari) provides a loaner as long as you request one when you make your service appointment. The 2 times I requested a loaner I was given a Ghibli.
My selling dealer (FIAT/Alfa) never offered me a loaner when my car was in there for a prolonged period of time:mad:

and frankly that is the same with my local BMW dealer. you get loaners when you ask for them at the time you make the appointment, and sometimes your appointment takes longer to get because of the loaner request.

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
My local dealer did not have loaners but they let me know that they are adding 2 Giulia's to the loaner program now. I can work from the dealership if it is a half day otherwise they have a shuttle to drive me home (<10 miles). So far I have not had to keep my car longer than a half day. I drive in they assess the issue, order the part, call me when it is in and I go back when the part is waiting for me. They stick to their schedule and so far that has worked well. For some reason when you are waiting for a car the car just seems to get attention sooner. Out of sight out of mind. The MINI Cooper is under a 6 year maintenance and they always have a loaner waiting for me. I no longer really want loaners. But we have several cars so we loan ourselves vehicles.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Yep it seems like it is a dealer specific program. At the Alfa/Fiat dealership here, when I set up an appointment, I get a loaner but it's not always a for sure thing. And as MDriver mentioned an appointment can get pushed out if you want a loaner and none are available.

The other reason an appointment can get pushed out, at least here, is there is only 1 Alfa tec. I know, a little off topic.

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
Yep it seems like it is a dealer specific program. At the Alfa/Fiat dealership here, when I set up an appointment, I get a loaner but it's not always a for sure thing. And as MDriver mentioned an appointment can get pushed out if you want a loaner and none are available.

The other reason an appointment can get pushed out, at least here, is there is only 1 Alfa tec. I know, a little off topic.
That is not good (1 Alfa Tech) we had 3 at our local dealer and apparently 1 see's an "opportunity" so he is taking his training to his own shop. So we are down to two while they put another one through training.

·
Banned
219 Posts
I was given a Stelvio, as soon as they knew they needed to order another part that was overnighted.

·
Registered
4,310 Posts
When my dealer was the Dodge/Fiat/Alfa franchise, no loaner. Now that it’s moved to the Maserati/Alfa franchise I was given a nice new Stelvio.

Reactions: robertmee

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well on a side comment, so far not that great of an experience.Was told i would be given a call after their lunch to be given an update on the repair. Called an hour ago, was told they havent even started to work on the vehicle(vehicle has been there 7hrs), was told they were busy with a customer and they would call me back (aren't i a customer too?) All i wanted to know is if it would be ready in the morning so i can arrange transportation to the dealer or if it was longer so i can get a rental. Well they close in 8 mins so i take it i wont get a call today. So much for dedicated Alfa/Maserati dealers being better.

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
Only reason I wouldn't like the combination of Alfa / Maserati......It could plant it at one dealer for all of Central and Northern Arizona. Not sure how they will migrate Fiat/Alfa dealerships to Alfa / Maserati as the press release eluded to. Unfortunately I like the convenience of dealership location. I know bad idea. No guarantees they will continue to sell / service Alfa's. One in the Valley shutdown last year so we did take a gamble.

In any case it is good that some folks get loaners that need the extra vehicle to get around.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well, seems they are waiting for a parking sensor to replace a faulty one, so ill be without a vehicle for 3 days. Since there is no official loaner program then im wondering for anyone here whats the longest you were without your Giulia with no loaner provided?

·
Registered
691 Posts
Hmm, that's odd and contrary to what my dealer told/showed me. There is a warranty FCA loaner program. The dealer showed me a stack of reimbursement requests he was sending to FCA for warranty loaners. FCA allocates, $50/day from the FCA fleet (that's why most get dodge chargers). Anything over that (a Maserati or Alfa), the dealership has to eat the costs.

Reactions: Montecarlo

·
Registered
2017 Vesuvio Grey Giulia Ti Q2
413 Posts
Sorry to hear your dealership is not willing to provide a loan car. That has to be really frustrating. Unacceptable really. My Alfa dealer has always given me a Giulia loaner. I last had my car in for the 10k service, the t57 update and an infotainment update. Took about 3 days and I had a loaner for the duration of the work. They also were really good at keeping me updated for the entire process. Sounds like your dealership could definitely improve on their customer service!

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hmm, that's odd and contrary to what my dealer told/showed me. There is a warranty FCA loaner program. The dealer showed me a stack of reimbursement requests he was sending to FCA for warranty loaners. FCA allocates, $50/day from the FCA fleet (that's why most get dodge chargers). Anything over that (a Maserati or Alfa), the dealership has to eat the costs.
Well i went to a dedicated Alfa/Maserati dealership so maybe thats why, service agent asked someone in the office if they had any loaners, other guy told him "we only have Maseratis", service agent told me "We'll get you an Uber", should of dressed nicer :smile2:

·
Registered
4,310 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Sorry to hear your dealership is not willing to provide a loan car. That has to be really frustrating. Unacceptable really. My Alfa dealer has always given me a Giulia loaner. I last had my car in for the 10k service, the t57 update and an infotainment update. Took about 3 days and I had a loaner for the duration of the work. They also were really good at keeping me updated for the entire process. Sounds like your dealership could definitely improve on their customer service!

My main gripe is lack of communication first day no call to update until i call them and have them return my call until almost the end of business day to let me know they havent even started to do anything on the car (whats the point of scheduling an appointment) if that was the case i could of just taken it in the next day and had my vehicle instead of spending money on Lyft, that day i tell them let me know tomorrow if vehicle will be ready by 2pm so i can make arrangements to pick up the car, i have to call them 3 times am told service adviser is not available and theyll call me back, finally at 1:50pm im told we are waiting for a part that will get in tomorrow, and here we are today. The loaner issue is whatever its my own fault for not going to just a standard fiat/chrysler dealership, where im sure i would of been given at least a jeep or something.

·
Registered
5,009 Posts
Well i went to a dedicated Alfa/Maserati dealership so maybe thats why, service agent asked someone in the office if they had any loaners, other guy told him "we only have Maseratis", service agent told me "We'll get you an Uber", should of dressed nicer :smile2:
unfortunately for you, that is your dealer. by that I mean, like any brand some individual dealers are better than others. you unfortunately seem to have one that is lacking even though they deal in Alfa/Maserati.
do you have another dealer option available to you??
let us know how the fix turns out:smile2:

·
Registered
2,577 Posts

That was real special of them. What jerks. Appearance has nothing to do with it. That treatment is inappropriate. If they don't have a loaner program fine. But only provide it to the Maserati and not the Alfa, jerks. In any case it stinks. I would not be a happy camper and likely have slammed the UP button to the next level. I am at a Fiat/Alfa dealership. They let me know that they would be getting to Giulia loaners why this stuff has to be brand specific is beyond me. Maybe they don't want to get loaners because they might break down (KIDDING)

By the way. I would report your dealership experience to Alfa Care especially the "we will get you an uber"

·
Registered
2020 gulia
156 Posts
When I was car shopping the salesman said the dealership absolutely gives you a loaner when you bring the car in for service. When will I learn? Should have written things down during sales pitch and had that list at signing. As everyone said, each dealership has their own policies. Where I went they have loaner cars however first come first serve and you must book it weeks in advance. Those two loaner cars sure get around? If you have out of pocket expenses because you have to rent a car or take a car service my dealership reimburses you. Also Alfa corporate will do the same if the dealer does not.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
unfortunately for you, that is your dealer. by that I mean, like any brand some individual dealers are better than others. you unfortunately seem to have one that is lacking even though they deal in Alfa/Maserati.
do you have another dealer option available to you??
let us know how the fix turns out:smile2:
The other two closest dealers are Fiat/Chrysler which i dealt with both of them when i was leasing a Fiat and their service was subpar , one time i took the Fiat in for unlocking doors by it self while the vehicle was in motion, checked it said it was fine , went to pick up the vehicle a block away from the dealership started to do the same thing again.

Fix for the Alfa was 50/50 they did the T57 recall, still unwilling to upgrade infotainment from 0.41 to 0.55, and from my other forum post still dealing with the missing HD radio issue, they said they would call me 2 days and nothing.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts