Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

In New Zealand we do not have access to Alfa Connect Services. In 18 months owning my QV I have never previously noticed any evidence of live updates in my navigation system. However a couple of weeks ago I noticed that my maps had been updated for a recent major intersection change. (Deleted one roundabout, added two new ones fifty meters west.)

Yesterday I noticed that my navigation system was receiving live updates of a major traffic jam caused by a car accident. (Orange on slow alternate heavy traffic roads and red on the road blocked by the accident.) I sucessfully navigated around the traffic jam on a back road and arrived at my destination just a few minutes late.

My question is - how is my car receiving this live traffic update information? Is it a service provided by the GPS satellites or is the car using my Apple Car Play connection to my iPhone (and the phone's internet connection). I have to say that the live traffic updates seemed better than what Google maps was showing at the same time so I suspect the car's navigation system was not interacting with Google maps.

To the best of my knowledge there is no Alfa Romeo Connect Service box (with a SIM card) installed in my car.

I contacted Alfa Romeo in NZ and someone is supposed to get back to me. The lady I talked to initially had no answer.

Regards

Philip Jacobs

·
Registered
2,001 Posts
I can tell you it's definately not transmitted by GPS..... ;)
Perhaps inbuilt mobile connection via infotainment, or via your 'phone

re traffic, the earlier cars used RDS-TMC via the radio, not sure about latest cars.
Standard TomTom uses data via (inbuilt or external) mobile phone connection for realtime traffic info, as giulia/stelvio is TomTom based for navi, perhaps Alfa have finally implemented this .....

·
Registered
2020 Alfa Romeo Giulia Quadrifoglio
561 Posts
Here in the US they have been sort of implementing live traffic on and off. There have been days where live traffic was there for me all day, and then the next day gone, then it shows up again a few weeks later for a day. Its very strange.

While they may not offer Alfa Connect services, I doubt the module itself isn't in the car, even if the service options for it are not enabled. Most likely the module is there and capable of receiving data from Alfa.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts