Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Rear plate install – You would think this would be an easy one – screw in all 4 screws into the plate with an optional frame and you’re done right? Nope. Although the dealer is technically suppose to put your plates on for you, I like to take these minute details into my own hands (and avoid a tacky dealer plate frame). Unlike most of the world with sleek & thin good looking plates, here in the US we have hideous fat rectangle licenses plates. To install the rear plate you are only able to screw the top 2 screws. I tried putting on a mounting bracket but still was unable to screw it in to the bottom plug caps (don’t try they won’t unscrew, trust me). I believe the best solution is to get a sturdy plate frame that allows you to screw in the top 2 and also hooks the plate into the frame from the bottom ensuring you don’t cover up any lettering at all on the bottom (check your local state laws, any letters covered up is a violation in most states), Adding a piece of Velcro on the back will ensure it doesn’t rattle when you close your trunk or pump the bass to the point of shaking the rear (please don’t, we want to make a good impression as new Alfa drivers). I was told the soft Velcro in this case would be better than the stiff Velcro you would apply an EZ pass to.
TL;DR: Screw your plate on

Front plate - Dealerships in states that require a front plate should provide a plate bracket which I believe would go over the driver side. I personally think it looks better over the passenger side so I ordered the plate mounting bracket from Alfa 9 supply, very high quality. To install remove the tow hook cover by firmly pressing on the top, then once off just slide the little clip attachment off from a plastic string thing. The rest of the directions would come with the kit. Easy install overall and looks as good as a front plate on a Giulia would. Pays for itself immediately as a front plate violation would be around $100. Yes, in my area they will ticket you for this - yes, even in an Alfa.
TL;DR: Front plate on an Alfa…you’re joking right?

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
Rear plate install – You would think this would be an easy one – screw in all 4 screws into the plate with an optional frame and you’re done right? Nope. Although the dealer is technically suppose to put your plates on for you, I like to take these minute details into my own hands (and avoid a tacky dealer plate frame). Unlike most of the world with sleek & thin good looking plates, here in the US we have hideous fat rectangle licenses plates. To install the rear plate you are only able to screw the top 2 screws. I tried putting on a mounting bracket but still was unable to screw it in to the bottom plug caps (don’t try they won’t unscrew, trust me). I believe the best solution is to get a sturdy plate frame that allows you to screw in the top 2 and also hooks the plate into the frame from the bottom ensuring you don’t cover up any lettering at all on the bottom (check your local state laws, any letters covered up is a violation in most states), Adding a piece of Velcro on the back will ensure it doesn’t rattle when you close your trunk or pump the bass to the point of shaking the rear (please don’t, we want to make a good impression as new Alfa drivers). I was told the soft Velcro in this case would be better than the stiff Velcro you would apply an EZ pass to.
TL;DR: Screw your plate on

Front plate - Dealerships in states that require a front plate should provide a plate bracket which I believe would go over the driver side. I personally think it looks better over the passenger side so I ordered the plate mounting bracket from Alfa 9 supply, very high quality. To install remove the tow hook cover by firmly pressing on the top, then once off just slide the little clip attachment off from a plastic string thing. The rest of the directions would come with the kit. Easy install overall and looks as good as a front plate on a Giulia would. Pays for itself immediately as a front plate violation would be around $100. Yes, in my area they will ticket you for this - yes, even in an Alfa.
TL;DR: Front plate on an Alfa…you’re joking right?
Interesting. Personally I cannot recall the last time any car in the family or my RR was able to screw down all four screws, they always rattle when the trunk goes down. Not a big deal to me.

All of the New England Alfa dealers currently include a complementary front plate mount over the driver side, but I agree with you. For some reason, the regular mount is crooked on the drivers side and looks terrible. I am also going to order from Alfa 9 because it is straight for one, and second looks better on the passenger side. But in reality, I agree front plates are stupid, especially on the Alfa. There is no need for front plates other than tolling really, and even that could have a better solution. They are a waste of taxpayers money.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I secured my rear plate with 4 screws into bracket you can get in every autozone (it is secured to rear lid with 2 screws in center) no slapping and thunking, lid closes with sound worthy of Maybach
Right on. Where did you screw the 2 screws in the center? Did you drill directly into the bumper?

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
I secured my rear plate with 4 screws into bracket you can get in every autozone (it is secured to rear lid with 2 screws in center) no slapping and thunking, lid closes with sound worthy of Maybach
Right on. Where did you screw the 2 screws in the center? Did you drill directly into the bumper?
There are two inserts gor screw already in the trunk lid below the ones where dealer screws in the plates.....i used those 4 to secure the bracket, plate screws with 4 screws into the bracket....check the trunk lid below the plate, it will be self explanatory

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.