Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I leased then purchased my IS350 (RWD). First, I have to say I'm in love with my car. It's meticulously maintained and extremely clean. No need to mention it's been extremely reliable, with absolutely no problems in my 4 years. Even at only 306hp the RWD is a blast to drive in summer. It'd break my heart to let it go, but driving it in the Montreal winters (even with proper winter tires, the Nokian R2's) has been stressful and the tires are so soft that I don't enjoy it anymore (very wobbly and feels unstable).

(did you see the squirrel in mid-air?)

On the other hand, I love the Giulia since it came out. It's definitely my next car, it's just a matter of time...

I have 2 options :

1) Keep my IS and purchase a winter beater, which means keeping my IS even longer and in even better condition

2) YOLO it and lease an AWD Giulia for a year-round car

I have one main worry : I got used to (and spoiled by) the reliability of the Lexus, which is something to be expected. I'm worried about the reliability of the Alfa, and I'm certainly hoping it's better than the Germans.

Being a very unbiased and objective forum, can you talk me in or out of this? ;)

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
Having a Scion FRS before the Giulia I will say that reliability is not a "Brand" issue in general. A lot of people on the forum have no issues while several people on the forum have a lot of issues. I think you will find more people who are technically savy come on the forum to talk about the issues they are having so take these talks of Alfa brandism with a grain of salt.

With all that being said My FR-S had more problems at inception than my Giulia did so I do not think you have anything to worry about. I can gurantee you the driving dynamics of the Giulia AWD are a lot better than your IS having driven both!

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
I just drove up to Boston to the BU commencement (my niece graduated BU) after attending my son's graduation at Fordham on Saturday and on both trips up and down I didn't see one Alfa....Not a Giulia not a Stelvio.....Lexus...maybe 500....so for essentially the same coin, you can have exclusivity !!! How can you say no ? Probably saw more Bentleys ....Join the party ....you'll have a blast !!! Oh..sorry about the US beating Canada for the bronze today in the IIHF !!!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Haha yeah for some reason the IS is very frequent in the US, but not so much in Canada, especially not IS350, RWD, in blue. I see an IS every 2-3 days here, and one blue IS per month or two, so yeah it's exclusive.

I got to say the Giulia is also rare here, and I love exclusivity :)

·
Vendor
619 Posts
Alfas reliability has become better with the latest software revisions and the vast majority of issues coming from early vehicles.

The drive-trains are very stout with the vast majority of software related issues resolved.

·
Registered
60 Posts
My Giulia has about 8000 miles on it with no problems. One has to remember that most cars nowadays are put together by Japanese and Korean robots no matter where they are from. The problems come from the design and the software.

Max Tenet

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
My Giulia has about 8000 miles on it with no problems. One has to remember that most cars nowadays are put together by Japanese and Korean robots no matter where they are from. The problems come from the design and the software.

Max Tenet
If Lexus is so reliable why are there so many repair facilities. I have never owned a Lexus. Just a 4-Runner. However, Toyota being so reliable the 4-runner had expensive repairs under 100,000 miles. My family has/had Lexus vehicles. I can say each one had a major repair fortunately one was under warranty but many thousands to fix. Once it was fixed they traded it in. All it takes is one bad experience with one vehicle and we throw the baby out with the bath water. We have had two Lexus' both requiring a new transmission at 100,000 miles. So not so lucky. One sibling went to Audi and the other went to BMW. That was before Alfa's but they are not performance centric people more for luxury. The BMW was because they offered a wagon version. The last sibling went to Toyota after the wire harness failed on the Lexus under warranty.

·
Registered
83 Posts
take it with a grain of salt since I don't have a Giulia, but if you are going to lease I wouldn't worry too much about reliability. It will be under warranty and the only issue could be having to take time to drop it off at the dealer. And if you get a 2018 the early issues will be alleviated.

I'm in the market for one and considered the IS350 as well. But narrowed it down to pretty much Giulia and the Audi S3. I drove a fully loaded Giulia and it is amazing.

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
If you don’t feel a difference in your soul driving the Alfa, I’d say just stick with your current car.....what’s the point.
You know that is the truest statement. I am a very methodical logical person and I was on the fence when my husband wanted this QV because this is new to market and yadda yadda and I drove it when it was delivered and said GOOD CHOICE AND HE HAS NOT BEEN ABLE TO DRIVE IT SINCE:smile2: IT IS MY CAR NOW.

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
i traded in a 1 year old RC for the Giulia. The Lexus doesn't come close.

·
Registered
2018 Q4 with Fiamenghi Ti exhaust, Race Mod, and Tecnico wheels.
7,903 Posts
If Lexus is so reliable why are there so many repair facilities. I have never owned a Lexus. Just a 4-Runner. However, Toyota being so reliable the 4-runner had expensive repairs under 100,000 miles. My family has/had Lexus vehicles. I can say each one had a major repair fortunately one was under warranty but many thousands to fix. Once it was fixed they traded it in. All it takes is one bad experience with one vehicle and we throw the baby out with the bath water. We have had two Lexus' both requiring a new transmission at 100,000 miles. So not so lucky. One sibling went to Audi and the other went to BMW. That was before Alfa's but they are not performance centric people more for luxury. The BMW was because they offered a wagon version. The last sibling went to Toyota after the wire harness failed on the Lexus under warranty.
My 4 runner didn't make it to 100,000 miles. Blew the head gasket twice (fatal the second time), apparently due to inadequately specified coolant.

What I see on the forums is that most people with problems with their Alfa have *1* problem but are having a lot of trouble getting it fixed. I doubt that AR is up to current Toyota/Lexus standards for failure rates, but suspect that it is not worse than the Germans.

BTW: Those assembly robots do not install the the wiring harness (ref. cut insulation in harness) or click the wiring connectors (ref. connector not fully clicked in dashboard) together. I don't think they assemble the interior either. What they do is ensure paint quality, water tightness (although some issues have been reported) and that body parts are fitted together properly. They also do the heavy lifting (glass, doors, seats) which helps reduce assembly worker fatigue and reduce errors.

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
Welding, torquing of components, etc...having had a wiring harness issue with my Quad it was quite disconcerting at the time and in hind site, I may have falsly associated the failure with the dealer performing some routine maintenance on the car at the time, but I have to say that my Quad (a relatively early build - March 2017) has been reliable....save for the insulation on my wiring harness being stripped (which probably happened on the assembly line)....Bottom line is that thousands are enjoying their Giulias and don't even know we exist on this Forum and others with problems have sought solutions to their issues and have discovered this site...so there may be negatively skewed bias on this forum because generally people who are happy, don't speak out.....GO GET YOUR ALFA ALREADY AND LIVE A LITTLE FOR GOD'S SAKE !!! D

·
Registered
232 Posts
Hi all,

I leased then purchased my IS350 (RWD). First, I have to say I'm in love with my car. It's meticulously maintained and extremely clean. No need to mention it's been extremely reliable, with absolutely no problems in my 4 years. Even at only 306hp the RWD is a blast to drive in summer. It'd break my heart to let it go, but driving it in the Montreal winters (even with proper winter tires, the Nokian R2's) has been stressful and the tires are so soft that I don't enjoy it anymore (very wobbly and feels unstable).

On the other hand, I love the Giulia since it came out. It's definitely my next car, it's just a matter of time...

I have 2 options :

1) Keep my IS and purchase a winter beater, which means keeping my IS even longer and in even better condition

I have one main worry : I got used to (and spoiled by) the reliability of the Lexus, which is something to be expected. I'm worried about the reliability of the Alfa, and I'm certainly hoping it's better than the Germans.

Being a very unbiased and objective forum, can you talk me in or out of this? ;)
Hi from Toronto,
since I have my Giulia for a year now and almost 20k on the clock I can probably have something to say.
1. winter, love Q4, feels like RWD but AWD when you need it, clearance is fine.
2. car, I would recommend to test drive one which should not be a problem in MTL.
3. problems, yesterday I had first glitch since many months of trouble free drive, after few hours of driving infotainment system restarted it self twice in the row. Didnt pay much attention to that since I used to have this in Mazda3 all the time.
Before that I had limp mode starting on the parking lot out of the blue (cleared after 3 restarts), which happened last summer and after service in the fall (updates?) none ever happened.

PS pmctire has nice wheels for Giulia to use during the winter.

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
Hi all,

I have 2 options :

I have reread your thoughts. It really does sound like you are a Lexus loyalist. I personally was a MINI loyalist (although not exactly a reliable car but mine is) I kept the MINI and got a QV. Now I am not without expecting issues because it is a new to the states. I think because you chose a Lexus and seem to love your car I am not sure you will love the Alfa. Lexus is just different. You will make your own choice by driving one of the Alfa's and see but you may just be a Lexus loyalist and may find little things about the Alfa luxury that is not up to par with Lexus since I think of the Alfa as more of a performance vehicle.

It is all about expectations. Your next Lexus may not be not so reliable and you may be okay with that but if the Alfa has an issue it will be a bigger issue to you because it isn't a Lexus issue and the comfort level for issues will be different. I got an 8 year 125,000 mile warranty so I feel comfortable that the big stuff will get fixed. I haven't had it long enough on the road to say either way. I can say I find the car really cool and like having something like the QV is a ton of fun. It is however not our only vehicle.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
If you don’t feel a difference in your soul driving the Alfa, I’d say just stick with your current car.....what’s the point.
I'll probably get flamed for this : I feel a difference, just not a major one... The IS350 with adaptative damper is more nimble than the current gen 3-series my wife used to have. Haven't driven the Giulia long enough to compare clearly but again the difference isn't as major as some like to mention. As for raw power, I can't comment : both cars are rated at 5.5 sec 0-60.

I'll test drive it again to compare better.

I didn't come to the Giulia forums to bash on it because I'm seriously considering it. I just wanna set the facts straight, the IS isn't what it used to be.

To reply more directly to your original comment : the point of getting the Alfa even if I don't feel any "difference in my soul" (whatever than means to you) is because I like to change. I've had the IS for 4 years and still love every bit of it. However I don't want to lease another IS and I love the Alfa more than any other competitor.

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
I'll probably get flamed for this : I feel a difference, just not a major one... The IS350 with adaptative damper is more nimble than the current gen 3-series my wife used to have. Haven't driven the Giulia long enough to compare clearly but again the difference isn't as major as some like to mention. As for raw power, I can't comment : both cars are rated at 5.5 sec 0-60.

I didn't come to the Giulia forums to bash on it because I'm seriously considering it. I just wanna set the facts straight, the IS isn't what it used to be.

To reply more directly to your original comment : the point of getting the Alfa even if I don't feel any "difference in my soul" (whatever than means to you) is because I like to change. I've had the IS for 4 years and still love every bit of it. However I don't want to lease another IS and I love the Alfa more than any other competitor.
Ah. Then you need the QV. You might feel a ever so slight difference. That would be a change. I didn’t consider Lexus because it is too mainstream certainly don’t think you could go wrong, Audi’s good deals but I would have to go to an A7RS above $100k exceeded my limit, Benz again opted out with the performance I am again into 6 figures so all the options put me into 6 figures. BMW M comp pack might have been an option but we already know people that have them and my spouse is not a Beemer fan at all nothing against them just not a fan.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Have 6k miles on our Giulia with NO problems.. except one.. plan on adding ten minutes to everywhere you go to answer questions about the Alfa! LOL

·
Registered
2018 Q4 with Fiamenghi Ti exhaust, Race Mod, and Tecnico wheels.
7,903 Posts

0-60 in the Q4 is 5.1 seconds, primarily because more throttle can be used in first. On the road I only use full throttle to pass; in the twisties I can get it to start sliding at part throttle in all but gentle turns. I don't think I could take much if any advantage of more power since I am fairly conservative about getting tickets.

I get fairly good MPG (33MPG at constant 70MPH, 22-24 MPG in town), something else you might want to compare with your IS. Although I seem to get about 10-15% worse than other forum members report (36-38 MPG at constant 70 MPH) I need to have my alignment double checked), it is still best in class and better than the EPA estimates. Research Multi-air 2 engine technology.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.