Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2018 Alfa Romeo Guilia Quadrafologio
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, about three weeks ago we had a decent rain down here in south west colorado. I thought nothing of it. My Giulia QV sits outside and I've never had an issue as long as it dries out a few days later. Well--- I was wrong. Very. Very wrong. Check engine light has been on for three weeks. Had it scanned. Throttle position sensor, emissions fault. So I called my Alfa service advisor and he said that I had valid warranty until September 2023. So I made an appointment to get it checked with a loaner. It just kept getting better. I then started getting the "dark camera/camera not available" issue. The car wohld also randomly shift into neutral and shift hard from time to time....And then my battery became problematic. Photos
Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Automotive tail & brake light
Wheel Vehicle Tire Car Hood
Car Wheel Tire Automotive parking light Land vehicle

·
Registered
357 Posts
So, about three weeks ago we had a decent rain down here in south west colorado. I thought nothing of it. My Giulia QV sits outside and I've never had an issue as long as it dries out a few days later. Well--- I was wrong. Very. Very wrong. Check engine light has been on for three weeks. Had it scanned. Throttle position sensor, emissions fault. So I called my Alfa service advisor and he said that I had valid warranty until September 2023. So I made an appointment to get it checked with a loaner. It just kept getting better. I then started getting the "dark camera/camera not available" issue. The car wohld also randomly shift into neutral and shift hard from time to time....And then my battery became problematic. Photos View attachment 132623 View attachment 132624 View attachment 132625
Ummm…. I do not get the point of these exterior photos of a black Ti, a grey Q4 and the blue QV…

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ummm…. I do not get the point of these exterior photos of a black Ti, a grey Q4 and the blue QV…
The Blue QV is mine. The black Ti is my loner. I tried to post a video but it wouldn't load. However now I'm stuck with a loaner until they supposedly figure out what's wrong with my vehicle.

·
Registered
723 Posts
So, about three weeks ago we had a decent rain down here in south west colorado. I thought nothing of it. My Giulia QV sits outside and I've never had an issue as long as it dries out a few days later. Well--- I was wrong. Very. Very wrong. Check engine light has been on for three weeks. Had it scanned. Throttle position sensor, emissions fault. So I called my Alfa service advisor and he said that I had valid warranty until September 2023. So I made an appointment to get it checked with a loaner. It just kept getting better. I then started getting the "dark camera/camera not available" issue. The car wohld also randomly shift into neutral and shift hard from time to time....And then my battery became problematic. Photos View attachment 132623 View attachment 132624 View attachment 132625
You seemingly have a garage (assuming the pic is your driveway).

If so, is there a reason your QV sleeps outside?

Also, was the rain you had such that your car became a boat? :unsure:

·
Administrator
2018 Giulia Ti Sport Q4
5,947 Posts
Only thing I can think of is if your vent was open to the air and not on recirc. It can let water in. Interior Water Leak during Rainstorm?
I don't subscribe to this theory that the vent recirc option has an effect on water ingress... but I do subscribe to that tree right there dropping leaves into the cowl drain, clogging it, and causing water to dump into the HVAC blower and on to the BCM. Yes, the recirc being closed could prevent it, but by itself that is not the problem. A clogged drain is.

·
Registered
2017 Giulia Ti Sport Q4
1,117 Posts
I don't subscribe to this theory that the vent recirc option has an effect on water ingress... but I do subscribe to that tree right there dropping leaves into the cowl drain, clogging it, and causing water to dump into the HVAC blower and on to the BCM. Yes, the recirc being closed could prevent it, but by itself that is not the problem. A clogged drain is.
Haven't there been reports of people going through car wash getting water in the car because of the recirc?

·
Administrator
2018 Giulia Ti Sport Q4
5,947 Posts
Haven't there been reports of people going through car wash getting water in the car because of the recirc?
I have heard that, yes... but without knowing if the drain was clogged, it's all speculation that just having the recirc off was the cause. Obviously, just my opinion, and I have been known to be very wrong at times. lol

I run mine open all the time, unless I'm behind a stinky truck. No issues.

·
Registered
2020 Giulia Quattroformaggio, 2020 Stelvio TI Sport
1,267 Posts
I have heard that, yes... but without knowing if the drain was clogged, it's all speculation that just having the recirc off was the cause. Obviously, just my opinion, and I have been known to be very wrong at times. lol

I run mine open all the time, unless I'm behind a stinky truck. No issues.
I'm with @JeFizz on this one. The only time the open flap is an issue is if your drain is clogged. The open/close recirc is a bandaid solution to getting water in the car if your drain is clogged. Unclog the drain if you think water is getting in.

·
Administrator
2018 Giulia Ti Sport Q4
5,947 Posts
I'm with @JeFizz on this one. The only time the open flap is an issue is if your drain is clogged. The open/close recirc is a bandaid solution to getting water in the car if your drain is clogged. Unclog the drain if you think water is getting in.
I really don't see why that drain couldn't be opened up to like 2" or so. Let it all flow out, leaves, sticks, and all.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Ugh, anytime I see a dealership adding their own name to the badging on the car I think unreasonably hurtful thoughts. When I factory ordered mine I put it in writing that the dealer wouldn't add a single thing (including the front license plate) to the car when it arrived on the lot. Probably me being anal, but I wouldn't have purchased the car if they put that butt ugly mike ward badge on my car.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Thus, around three weeks prior we had a respectable downpour down here in south west colorado. I barely cared about it. My Giulia QV sits outside and I've never had an issue as long as it dries out a couple of days after the fact. Well- - - I was off-base. Very. Exceptionally off-base. Check motor light has been on for a very long time. Had it filtered. Choke position sensor, discharges shortcoming. So I called my Alfa administration consultant and he said that I had legitimate guarantee until September 2023. So I planned to have it looked at with a loaner. It recently continued to improve. I then began getting the "dull camera/camera not accessible" issue. The vehicle wohld additionally haphazardly shift into impartial and shift hard from time to time....And then my battery became dangerous. Photographs

·
Registered
2018 Giulia QV
187 Posts
Thus, around three weeks prior we had a respectable downpour down here in south west colorado. I barely cared about it. My Giulia QV sits outside and I've never had an issue as long as it dries out a couple of days after the fact. Well- - - I was off-base. Very. Exceptionally off-base. Check motor light has been on for a very long time. Had it filtered. Choke position sensor, discharges shortcoming. So I called my Alfa administration consultant and he said that I had legitimate guarantee until September 2023. So I planned to have it looked at with a loaner. It recently continued to improve. I then began getting the "dull camera/camera not accessible" issue. The vehicle wohld additionally haphazardly shift into impartial and shift hard from time to time....And then my battery became dangerous. Photographs
That is an odd post. It is like the guy translated the OP from English to some other language and then back to English and posted just that. o_O

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Update: Just got a message from Mike Ward, [BTW I didn't buy my QV from Mike Ward I got it from VROOM and it was shipped from a mass collector in Texas---being a California car] my car is finally in the shop after being in queue, I should be hearing an update. Being as I live in BFE we don't have an Alfa down here and I wouldn't let anyone down here touch my car lest even breathe on it. As for the water issue and recirc, yes, I have done that and it hasn't solved my issue, sans the three week CEL issue and car being in limp mode aka N Mode. Also the camera issue and the strange shifting issue and lights galore. The loaner is a pain in my ass but lucky unlimited mileage. Hopefully they fix it soon and I only do have to shell out for a new battery. Huff. I did also have the dreaded $2000 belt service done so I leaned a little bit on them for that since they did disassemble my entire front end not a month ago ... cough... I miss my Misano Blue for sure.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Update #6749.
Still driving the base model... however I did hear back from my service guy today. He previously mentioned they were chasing electrical demons.... this is what I learned today.

Font Screenshot Gadget Darkness Electric blue

My car... it's brain is broken. Please send help.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
So, after so many weeks of silence and no updates and my service guy being off for the weekend I finally have an update and hopefully something of an answer. I also am having him check every other placement to see so hopefully by the end of this week I should have my QV back....???
Font Technology Screenshot Darkness Event
Font Communication Device Screenshot Electronic device Technology

1 - 20 of 26 Posts