Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So I was hesitant to write this but I figured I owed it to the Alfa folks

I purchased my 2017 Quadrifoglio in May.

The good
Awesome looking car
Super fast once it gets going
Great Brakes

The bad
Terrible 0-30 acceleration - painful lag
So so sound system
Cheapish interior
Brakes too touchy
Seat is too tight for some

For me I could live with the bad. I was buying into the it’s an Alfa it’s OK to have quirky issues.

Then came the real BAD

3 different engine issues. I won’t go into detail except the 3rd time I brought the car to the shop they weren’t able to fix the problem. EVER. They think it had to do with a piston and fuel injector but they had NO way of resolving the problem.

So after 30 days they said they can get me a new car but they don’t recommend it since they believe the car was introduced too early and there will be continued problems.

Option B - money back. I debated the options and finally came to my senses.
I took the cash, bought a BMW M2 and pocketed $20K

Best move ever. So comparing the cars - the Alfa turns more heads and is more comfortable for the kids in the back.

The M2 - works!!! Everything about it works perfectly. The infotainment system makes sense. Stereo is much better. I really can go on and on. From 0-45mph the M2 is faster than the Quadrifoglio. After that the M2 is definitely slower but it is more than fast enough and gets much better gas mileage. Did I mention that everything works!

Finally I have a car I can take to the track that will last the day.

I knew the risks when I bought my Alfa - and I learned a valuable lesson - go w your mind not just your heart when buying a car. You’ve been warned.

Oh yeah , my headlight washer on the Alfa broke early on and they never fixed it correctly..

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Jim Ellis near Atlanta.
Not sure about the Star ticket they said they were talking w Detroit and Atlanta.

·
Registered
2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia TI Sport Q2
498 Posts
Jim Ellis near Atlanta.
Not sure about the Star ticket they said they were talking w Detroit and Atlanta.
Oh my. My Alfa is from the same dealer and my car is now cumulative day 28 at the shop for a repair, and I still don't know if the problem has been fixed. Alfa Care is keeping me posted, but there is only so much they can do.

·
Registered
2020 Alfa Romeo Giulia Sport Ti AWD
8,116 Posts
You owned the car for 6 months and didn't learn how to spell it?
Apparently cannot spell "brakes" either, but we should cut him some slack for the suffering endured.

Reactions: Alfaholico

·
Registered
2020 Alfa Romeo Giulia Sport Ti AWD
8,116 Posts
Option B - money back. I debated the options and finally came to my senses.
I took the cash, bought a BMW M2 and pocketed $20K

Best move ever. So comparing the cars - the Alpha turns more heads and is more comfortable for the kids in the back.

The M2 - works!!! Everything about it works perfectly. The infotainment system makes sense. Stereo is much better. I really can go on and on. From 0-45mph the M2 is faster than the Quadrifoglio. After that the M2 is definitely slower but it is more than fast enough and gets much better gas mileage. Did I mention that everything works!

Finally I have a car I can take to the track that will last the day.
Haven't you heard?

https://thegarage.jalopnik.com/bmw-engines-are-gigantic-pieces-of-****-1784684330

Hope the kids are enjoying the ride.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Sounds like that dealer is unable to properly service/repair QV since they have multiple cars with issues they cant fix
According to these claim about QV slowness in not accurate
http://fastestlaps.com/models/alfa-romeo-giulia-qv
http://fastestlaps.com/models/bmw-m2-n-a

BMW infotainment is better no questions and GPS is way better but for QV buyer it would be secondary. Personally I found BMW interior sub-par with loads of cheap hard plastic.
Anyway congrats with your new M2 it was nice having you.

·
Registered
576 Posts
I call BS. 3 posts. Enough said. :wink2:

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I’m a number’s guy.

Read any of the reviews on the M2 before commenting. Better yet take one for a test drive. NOT an M3 or M4 - completely different ride. They are rather accurate. When both cars are working to perfection I would probably take the Alfa. Despite being SLOW 0-30. Unfortunately, my experience was beyond terrible. Maybe the ‘18s will be better, but regardless service will be a huge problem for quite some time at least in ATL.

Also, go to a race track. I doubt I will ever see a Quadrifoglio....

·
Registered
315 Posts
Ok. I will be the one to say it.

I suspect this is nonsense. The same person posted the same issue back in Sept. They have only submitted 3 posts...total. All three posts were about the car being a 'Lemmon.'.....your spelling is horrendous.

http://www.giuliaforums.com/forum/2...l-discussion/19321-my-giulia-quad-lemmon.html

Alfa Cares asked last time for the VIN and I suspect by the fact they have asked again in this post that AlphaATL did not provide the VIN for them to look into the issue.

I feel a troll in our presence....but I will happily be proved wrong.

By the way...BMW engines have issues too. I have a Z4 M that I replaced the engine (short block) on. So if changing brands is to hide from engine troubles.....that doesn't work.

EDIT. 4 posts total :)

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
M2 interior is nothing special and it is louder inside than the Quad, but why should an $80k car have a crappy infotainment system?
No excuse. It really is beyond reason to say the Quad buyer doesn’t care. That’s like going to a nice steak restaurant and getting a great steak with crappy sides and service and saying everything was awesome.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I will be happy to provide you the VIN number and a copy of the check they gave me or anything else you want. Send me your email address.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I changed brands because after 45 days my car was still in the shop and the dealer said they could not fix it.

·
Registered
235 Posts
M2 interior is nothing special and it is louder inside than the Quad, but why should an $80k car have a crappy infotainment system?
No excuse. It really is beyond reason to say the Quad buyer doesn’t care. That’s like going to a nice steak restaurant and getting a great steak with crappy sides and service and saying everything was awesome.
IMO there is nothing wrong with Alfa infotainment, it is just different from mainstream, it has all functions you need maybe some people want more from it but you cant make all people happy. I preferred it to many super busy and confusing.
GPS from other hand is super basic and limited for 2017 car no questions.

But for me better to have remote starter over all so called cool features. I bet M2 cant have one.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I did like the remote start although it didn’t always work. The M2 has a feature that will run the air at designated times to cool down the car. I might use it next summer. Doesn’t get cold enough in ATL to use it for heat.

·
Registered
694 Posts
I changed brands because after 45 days my car was still in the shop and the dealer said they could not fix it.
If that's true, I don't blame you.
It is good to hear that Alfa eventually made good on your problems and refunded your money. Not good if it's true that an Alfa dealer is trashing the brand to its own customers.

Enjoy your M2. I'm sure it's a fun car, especially if it has a 6sp.

But I've owned two BMWs. One had its engine replaced (by previous owner) and the other had its transmission replaced. They are not entirely trouble free.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.