Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just a FYI It will trigger service throttle body and throw car into limp mode. I am a natural LFB and as I was finally using it today to get someone off my tail as the car was a little in motion (5% throttle) it did detect an issue and thru car into limp mode on the highway. Not a scenario you want to be in!

After a mile it cleared it self out and the car remained in AE mode the rest of the ride.

PSA for all!

·
Registered
2,988 Posts
Just a FYI It will trigger service throttle body and throw car into limp mode. I am a natural LFB and as I was finally using it today to get someone off my tail as the car was a little in motion (5% throttle) it did detect an issue and thru car into limp mode on the highway. Not a scenario you want to be in!

After a mile it cleared it self out and the car remained in AE mode the rest of the ride.

PSA for all!
On the track that's called 'trail braking'. Try it in Race Mode and see what happens.

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
On the track that's called 'trail braking'. Try it in Race Mode and see what happens.
Forgot the name! Thanks for the reminder haha. But yea I doubt race mode would make much difference as it basically is the same type of CEL/Limp mode as it was when on the dyno. Will give it a shot though!

·
Registered
456 Posts
That is a safety feature, probably also mandated by the regulators. If the accelerator gets stuck and you press the brake at the same time you need an override that cuts the engine power. Do you remember when Toyota had their unintended acceleration issues with the floor mats making the accelerator stuck?

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That is a safety feature, probably also mandated by the regulators. If the accelerator gets stuck and you press the brake at the same time you need an override that cuts the engine power. Do you remember when Toyota had their unintended acceleration issues with the floor mats making the accelerator stuck?

Makes sense!

·
Super Moderator
1,086 Posts
Same thing with Audi. Although they don't throw any check engine lights or Christmas trees on the dash, they do cut power if both pedals are pushed at the same time after roughly five seconds.

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
And what about neutral itself? Does "both paddles" go into neutral? That's the Ferrari F1 norm.

·
Super Moderator
1,086 Posts
Sorry to report, that feature does not exist for the neutral engagement.

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
Sorry to report, that feature does not exist for the neutral engagement.
OK so is neutral on the console stick then? Don't remember.

·
Super Moderator
1,086 Posts
Yes. Neutral is on the console stick.

Interestingly enough, it is possible to go directly from Park into Drive. Likewise, it is possible to go back and forth between Reverse and Drive and skip Neutral.

Transmissions these days are nothing more than electronic video games.

One thing I've been putting off is reading up on "what to do in case of a dead battery and the car needs to be moved". Basically, how to get the car into a pushable tow mode with no electric. Not sure it can be done. ?

·
Registered
150 Posts
I'm still waiting for mine to be delivered so can't test, but I would expect a response according to scenario:

1. DNA - Applying brake while accelerator is already depressed - should cut accelerator. May trigger a fault if this scenario exists for an extended period (over a few seconds).
2. DNA - Applying accelerator while brake is already depressed - should work without issue.
3. Race mode - should allow both combinations.

If the response is different to the above, I will be disappointed.

·
Registered
2,988 Posts
I'm still waiting for mine to be delivered so can't test, but I would expect a response according to scenario:

1. DNA - Applying brake while accelerator is already depressed - should cut accelerator. May trigger a fault if this scenario exists for an extended period (over a few seconds).
2. DNA - Applying accelerator while brake is already depressed - should work without issue.
3. Race mode - should allow both combinations.

If the response is different to the above, I will be disappointed.
The 4C has a "Launch Mode" that's only available in Race. It's only function is to perform a well shifted drag race start. Not sure if the Giulia Quad has this or not.

While in race, and stopped, press the brake and the full throttle it. Release the brake and she'll do a drag dance. (not that kind of drag dance, get your mind out of the gutter)

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
Trail braking is actually when you threshold brake and then gradually release the brake going into the apex to help rotate the car....... nothing to do with left foot braking.......

·
Registered
79 Posts
Trail braking is actually when you threshold brake and then gradually release the brake going into the apex to help rotate the car....... nothing to do with left foot braking.......
I'll take this a step further and say that trail braking is not to rotate your car, that is just a side effect. The primary purpose of trail braking is to brake later than traditional straight line braking to improve lap times. Many people use trail braking to rotate their car and for that reason they brake at or too close to traditional braking points and/or hold the brake far too long on corner entry (compare just about any pro's data to an amateur's and the biggest difference is almost always corner entry speed). If your car is rotating during optimum trail braking then try adjusting the setup--usually the less the car rotates at corner entry the more speed you can carry in and the quicker your lap times can be, and for a longer period of time as your tires wear during the session/race. With that being said many tires have a large enough slip angle that excess rotation during trail braking at the limit is inevitable and you would want to finesse that more with your foot (left or right) than the steering wheel.

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
I'll take this a step further and say that trail braking is not to rotate your car, that is just a side effect. The primary purpose of trail braking is to brake later than traditional straight line braking to improve lap times. Many people use trail braking to rotate their car and for that reason they brake at or too close to traditional braking points and/or hold the brake far too long on corner entry (compare just about any pro's data to an amateur's and the biggest difference is almost always corner entry speed). If your car is rotating during optimum trail braking then try adjusting the setup--usually the less the car rotates at corner entry the more speed you can carry in and the quicker your lap times can be, and for a longer period of time as your tires wear during the session/race. With that being said many tires have a large enough slip angle that excess rotation during trail braking at the limit is inevitable and you would want to finesse that more with your foot (left or right) than the steering wheel.
I agree with you to some extent, but left foot braking is used often in fast sweepers to prevent unsettling of the car, nothing to do with trailbraking......

·
Registered
5,130 Posts
Will never forget the very first BMWCCA driving school I attended....had a GREAT instructor.....I remember 2 very important things he said to me.
1st: Slow is Fast
2nd: You young guys crack me up...halfway into the turn you realize your NOT as good as you thought you were!

He as just so smooth in the car...very fluid...

1 - 18 of 18 Posts