Registered
2020 Alfa Romeo Giulia Sport Ti AWD
6,640 Posts
Reactions: Chicago

·
Registered
2018 Ti Sport Q2
873 Posts
I’ve driven a stick-shift, maybe twice in my life. I don’t really miss it. If i want the ability to control shifting, the paddle-shifters are adequate. IMHO

·
Registered
2,104 Posts
End of an era.

·
Registered
712 Posts
My first driving with a "stick" car was my dad's '59 Anglia, a small English car. I think about 40 HP. Three speed on the floor, shifter was about three feet long, huge gap between second and top 3d gear. Then thru TR 4, MG's, VW's, Turbo Mitsu's, a variety of Porsches. Keeping an engine in it's optimal RPM range, not lugging or running too many unneeded RPM was enjoyable, but when inching along in traffic, tiresome. I just love the "flick ability" of my QV's ZF, I never have to settle for being slightly out of optimal RPM, with my pinky on the those big paddles, I am constantly and with great engagement keeping my Alfa precisely at the RPM I want or need, or anticipate, esp in traffic. Plus, I just never have to worry about an inadvertent "money shift" and an over-reved engine. I learned early on how to "blip" and double-clutch my downshifts, so always in all my cars did that.

I drove my Superformance 427 Cobra replica over 140 Thousand miles, with thousands of miles on various race tracks. It was incredibly easy to "heel and toe" downshifts, so eventually it was so natural to brake and "blip" downshifts for apexing, that I never had to put any thought into that necessary shift technique. The only way to keep from upsetting my Cobra in hard braking and downshifting. My son got so good that on track videos he could drop thru two gears in less than a second and a half.

When I had my '07 GT3, and mentioned to my son that it was difficult to "heel and toe" he told me that the pedal placement in my Porsche was set up for being perfect only when at max brake pressure. Everything about our GT3 was designed for track use first, and casual street driving much less.

If my QV had an option for a 6 speed manual or my ZF, no question I would spec the latter. NAM VET

·
Registered
78 Posts
That front end looks terrible in pictures, but I've seen one in person and it looks a lot better than I thought it would.

That M3 will kick ass, have fun.

Funny, I just saw my first one and thought the opposite. That grill was much worse than I've seen in pictures.
Although, the one I saw was white so it was probably much more pronounced.

·
Registered
525 Posts
I was a manual holdout but dear lord traffic in all big cities is absolutely miserable now...and I'm not old enough to move to the suburbs yet. I keep around a s2000 so I have a manual car to drive and I've put 5000 miles on it in 4 years.

Enjoy the new car. I'm sure it'll be great fun.

·
Registered
10 Posts
IMO car is worse looking in person. Like stop you in your tracks ugly.

but I bet it’s a wonderful machine. Congrats!
I have my s2000 and gti in manual, my lc500 is auto (no shit) and traded in a gt350 for the qv. It’s nice to have the best of both worlds lol

·
Registered
833 Posts
I tend towards cars that look nice to my eyes. Some of the nicer ones were my 74 Lancia Fulvia Coupe, 2 Acura (Honda) Integras, BMW 325i, and of course the Giulia. All of these were manual transmission except the last one.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Saying it was great being here.. learn a lot about my first Italian machine.

But had the itch for 6mt again. and got myself a 2021 M3.

I will definitely chime back in here to give my own opinion between the 2 once I get more seat time.

Taking my last drive to drop off the beauty to dealership , while my wife is having fun rowing the stick in front ...

And yes is ugly....Blah Blah Blah....... its all about the 6mt. :cool:
I hope you enjoy the M3. Please do let us know what you think.

I completely understand the want for the 6MT. When the Giulia was introduced, I waited a year to buy one, hoping they'd offer a manual. For me, the beautifully made aluminum paddles are the saving grace but, excellent though the ZF 8-spd is, it's a crying shame that there's no manual available. If I didn't have a manual car in the garage, I would not have bought the Giulia (though I love it) -- solely because it's auto-only. I just enjoy a manual much more than any other transmission (and I always use the Giulia's paddles).

There's another factor though -- BMW fakes the engine sound through the speakers (Audi and so many others do too, through various means). I find that GROTESQUE. It completely destroys any interest I'd otherwise have in a car. The sound of a car's engine is a very significant part of the enjoyment for me, and fakery totally destroys that.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I grew up on a farm. And we have many many manual vehicles, and I grew up and learned to drive driving them. I can only assume this is reason that I totally don’t get peoples obsession with manuals. Given the choice I would choose a good AT over a MT every day of the week and twice on sundays.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Because it's fun!
Exactly! And my wife is another who drives manuals with no problem -- in fact, she enjoys them.

I turned my Q2 in a couple of weeks ago, but couldn't find anything interesting to replace it, since cars are in very short supply here in Florida -- 4 to 6 month wait for most orders. IMO, the M2 front end looks a lot better than that M3 -- much more subdued "sucking fish" look. My BMW dealer came up with a manual M2, which is what I wanted, but it was that exact "grey" color, which looked to me like a bluish off-white. I couldn't stand it.

A Mustang GT didn't float my boat either. And Boxsters are on every block where we live. So I'll wait until the perfect solution comes along.

Making do with a '21 black/black VW GTI Autobahn 6sp, which is actually a gas to drive. Seat not quite as good as the Giulia, but more room in front and a less intrusive door pillar, so easier in/out for my 6'3"+. Slapped a Borla on it the day after picking it up, so the sound is fine.

I have a tennis friend whose garage holds a Ferrari and two McLarens, and he loans me one every now and then -- that helps. (His "garage" is actually a 2400 sf luxury industrial condo restricted to exotic car owners. He's looking for a few more exotics to add to his collection and to run at Sebring. Not an Alfa in the place, though.)

Reactions: Avnyc11

·
Registered
130 Posts
I grew up on a farm. And we have many many manual vehicles, and I grew up and learned to drive driving them. I can only assume this is reason that I totally don’t get peoples obsession with manuals. Given the choice I would choose a good AT over a MT every day of the week and twice on sundays.
People are different, which is a good thing. I didn't grow up on a farm, but I grew up driving manuals. I would never choose an automatic of any kind over a manual. And I live in NY, so I'm more than familiar with heavy traffic.

61 - 74 of 74 Posts