Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a hard time leaving the car in neutral at the car wash. It seems I have to sit on the latched seat belt for it to stay in neutral. i've searched it and went through the manual. Anyone know how to do this?

·
Registered
2020 Alfa Romeo Giulia Sport Ti AWD
7,462 Posts
You put your precious Giulia through a carwash? Oh, the horrors!

I've had no problems with mine staying in neutral when I've done so.

Reactions: 4doorturbo

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hand wash car wash. It reverts to park when I open the door to get out.

·
Registered
7,462 Posts
Sounds as if it's protecting you from yourself according to the prime directive.
Does the transmission also shift to park when the parking brake is applied?

Reactions: freedomgli

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
I believe that it will stay in N if the ignition is ON.
Press the SS button WO your foot on the brake pedal.

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I believe that it will stay in N if the ignition is ON.
Press the SS button WO your foot on the brake pedal.
The car is running when this happens.

·
Registered
630 Posts
Yeah, I'm confused by what alfa55 is trying to achieve here. Why do you need to leave the car in neutral and then exit the vehicle at the car wash while leaving it running? The transmission has several interlock features to keep people from doing stupid things that can get them hurt or killed.

·
Registered
190 Posts
After opening the door, then try shifting into neutral? I had a similar issue recently trying to reverse with the door open: shift into reverse, open the door, and car goes into park (which is fair enough for safety reasons in my opinion: just takes some getting used to). But once the door is open, I can shift back into reverse and successfully back up the car with the door open. Different scenario since I’m still sitting in the driver’s seat: would also be interested in why you’re putting the car in neutral then getting out of it.

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Yeah, I'm confused by what alfa55 is trying to achieve here. Why do you need to leave the car in neutral and then exit the vehicle at the car wash while leaving it running? The transmission has several interlock features to keep people from doing stupid things that can get them hurt or killed.
Have you ever turned off your car at a car wash? The vehicle has to pass through it even though it is a hand wash. They hand wash the car, then it moves through for the liquid wax, then the rinse, then the air dry. They hop in the car and drive it to the area where they finish it. I'm trying to achieve the car staying in neutral so the attendant can exit it once in the wash since you don't sit in the car as it is getting washed. I hope this clarifies this. Forget the car wash part and concentrate on exiting a running car while it is in neutral for any reason. It could be for towing or whatever.

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
I have noticed the two times I went to a similar automated "hand wash" car wash, the attendant driving the car into the booth has buckled the driver's seat belt ....I wondered why he did this, but perhaps it is required to keep the car in neutral as it goes through the car wash (after the driver has exited the car as the car is propelled forward by the conveyor wheels of the car wash)....

There is a button on the interior dome light cluster above the driver that allows for the car to be towed...but I think that only disengages the motion sensor alarm.....Perhaps it also allows the car to stay in neutral while being towed (but the thought of a Giulia being towed rather than via flatbed is scary at best).....

Reactions: alfa55

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yes D, the guys always have a hard time and wind up asking me to get it in neutral so i started leaving it buckled. It just irks me to have to sit on a buckled seatbelt. There should be a way to purposely do this if needed.

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
"Concentrate on exiting a running car while it is in neutral"
Ok, I'm concentrating...
Is the parking brake on?
No.
If it begins to move, how do I stop it?
Should I be prepared to jump in and hit the brake pedal?
What am I missing?

·
Registered
573 Posts
There is an override for this in the manual. I think it is about overriding the park brake with car in nuetral. I would have to look it up agian but it does start with the driver door being open.

·
Registered
2018 Q4 with Fiamenghi Ti exhaust, Race Mod, and Tecnico wheels.
7,729 Posts
I have noticed the two times I went to a similar automated "hand wash" car wash, the attendant driving the car into the booth has buckled the driver's seat belt ....I wondered why he did this, but perhaps it is required to keep the car in neutral as it goes through the car wash (after the driver has exited the car as the car is propelled forward by the conveyor wheels of the car wash)....

There is a button on the interior dome light cluster above the driver that allows for the car to be towed...but I think that only disengages the motion sensor alarm.....Perhaps it also allows the car to stay in neutral while being towed (but the thought of a Giulia being towed rather than via flatbed is scary at best).....
Suppose your Giulia will not run. You call a tow truck. A flat bed tow truck shows up, but the car is in park and will not shift out of park unless you start the engine that will not run first.

NOW WHAT? There was a thread on this subject already and I am still looking for a solution. Unless the tow truck has wheel dollies I think the operator will have to drag the vehicle with wheels locked onto the tow truck bed; not good. AR Cares told me that this problem has no solution.

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
"Concentrate on exiting a running car while it is in neutral"
Ok, I'm concentrating...
Is the parking brake on?
No.
If it begins to move, how do I stop it?
Should I be prepared to jump in and hit the brake pedal?
What am I missing?
The boat.>:)

·
Registered
159 Posts
Suppose your Giulia will not run. You call a tow truck. A flat bed tow truck shows up, but the car is in park and will not shift out of park unless you start the engine that will not run first.

NOW WHAT? There was a thread on this subject already and I am still looking for a solution. Unless the tow truck has wheel dollies I think the operator will have to drag the vehicle with wheels locked onto the tow truck bed; not good. AR Cares told me that this problem has no solution.
All towing I have seen recently the trucks have dollies for the opposite end wheels to move a non wrecked vehicle. Obviously a badly wrecked on they just pull up onto the flatbed. If you have to call for a tow make sure they know they must bring 2 or 4 dollies depending on the truck type.

Ok, back to the car wash; I think you are doing the only thing possible, must leave the belt buckled which makes the car think someone is inside. Fortunately the drivers seat doesn't have a load sensor like the pass.

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I'm surprised there is no override.

·
Registered
7,462 Posts
Is staying in the car another possibility?

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Liability is the problem if something happens.

·
Registered
630 Posts
I'm surprised there is no override.
I'm not. I'm sure the manufacturer's product liability concerns outweigh the customer's perceived convenience factor in this case. As mentioned above, it's a non-issue for towing because the tow truck operator should be well versed in using wheel dollies and if it's a bad wreck they will just drag it onto the flatbed as flat spotting the tires is the least of their concerns. Lots of problems occur at automatic car washes. There's no legitimate need for the car wash to direct drivers to leave their vehicles unoccupied, running and in neutral. You can stay in the vehicle for the 2-5 minutes it takes them to do the exterior wash and then exit the vehicle once safely parked for them to complete the interior cleaning.

The problem here isn't with the car, it is with the particular car wash you go to.

Here is an excerpt from the 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia Owner's Manual 3rd Edition US/CAN p.140
Warning!

• Unintended movement of a vehicle could injure those in or near the vehicle. As with all vehicles, you should never exit a vehicle while the engine is running. Before exiting a vehicle, always apply the park brake, shift the transmission into PARK, and turn the ignition STOP/OFF. When the ignition is in the STOP/OFF mode, the transmission is locked in PARK, securing the vehicle against unwanted movement.

• When leaving the vehicle, always make sure the ignition is in the STOP/OFF mode, remove the key fob from the vehicle, and lock the vehicle.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts