Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
'17 Ti Sport Q4 w/ Active Shocks & LSD
798 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got the Ti Sport interior and seats, without the leather dashboard / door accents. Am using Lexol vinyl cleaner/treatment, Lexol Leather cleaner (infrequently) and Conditioner, and want to apply the right products to the right surfaces.

In my Q4, it appears that either 2 grades of leather, or leather + vinyl (something not leather) make up the seating surfaces. Want to know, perhaps from an actual FCA member, or any of you more experienced owners, "where's the beef?". Also curious regarding the center console lid, the armrest in back, headrests, etc.

Would love to hear from the Alfisti where the leather is in their interiors.

I have these observations/opinions regarding Q4 Ti Sport (Package 22):

Front Seats
-- Beef (Prime cut Leather): upright backrest centers, bolsters and contact surfaces between bolsters and centers, seat centers, contact surfaces, thigh extension contact surface.

-- Lesser Beef (likely vinyl/leatherette, or lesser cuts???): Headrests, sides and rear of head rests, non-contact areas of upright seats, wrapping to the back, outisdes of bolsters, accordian pleat between thigh extension and seat, seat front below thigh extension and center console lid.

-- Plastic: Obvious black stuff (I've got red leather). Carriage for seats, center console, etc., etc.

Rear Seating Area
-- Beef (Prime): Bench back contact surfaces (tuck&roll and border), above armrest, armrest bottom (folded up, is part of bench back for 5th passenger), bench back uppers (under headrests) and the entire seat surface (5th passenger, tuck&roll and border).

-- Lesser Beef: Headrests, wheel housing covers outboard of seats, front lower of center, outboard sides. lid on armrest (top when lowered).

-- Plastic: obvious as above. Cupholders, side assy on armrest.

Please Add for...

BASE Giulia Seating, Lusso, QV Stock Seats and QV Sparco Race Seats

Curious, and sorry I didn't do this with pictures.

·
Registered
138 Posts
We have an Italian leather couch sectional type thing , when my wife purchased it the salesman talked her into the cleaner so 4 boxes later that's what I've been using, I think we used it once on the couch lol

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
Most automakers use leather on "seating surfaces" ....the equivalent of your "contact surfaces"....

Reactions: Vesparider

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
Is the base Giulia model full leather or leather surface seating?

Thanks

·
Registered
597 Posts
I've been thinking about the steering wheel lately.. when I took a test drive, it was a TI without the sport interior package (no leather wrapped steering wheel). I ended up purchasing a car WITH the sport interior, but I could not remember anything different about the wheel from the car I test drove (I know the QV wheel is different all together).

I played around with the builder online and it looks like the only part that changes when selecting the sport package is that little crevasses where your thumbs go. Is that the only leather on the wheel? A whole 3 square inches

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
^All Giulias in US have leather wrapped steering wheel....I somehow doubt that even in other markets there is a non-leather wheel available

·
Registered
597 Posts
That's what I was hoping to hear, still curious as to why it's listed as part of a $750 add on. My last car had a leather wheel, but its was smooth and slick, this one is sticky, which I like but had me second guessing if it was even leather.

·
Registered
57 Posts
That’s intriguing - the 2019 UK-spec Speciale and Veloce are both quoted in the brochure as having a ‘leather sports steering wheel’. The one I test drove certainly felt like leather ...

Simon

·
Registered
2018 Giulia TI Sport Q4
108 Posts
So i read this post last night, as yesterday was the first time I applied leather condition to my seats myself. I called my “local” Alfa dealer today and was told the seats, headrests, etc are all leather, whether on the front or back of the seats or headrests. They also confirmed the steering wheel and center console is leather. I don’t have the ‘extra’ leather option. I found this very rare, as others have commented before, most of the time leather is applied to seating or touch surfaces only. I asked the gentleman if he was 100% positive all the seats were leather and he confirmed. Is that the general opinion of the group? Thx.

·
Registered
2018 Q4 with Fiamenghi Ti exhaust, Race Mod, and Tecnico wheels.
7,738 Posts
At least with my Ti sport seats, the front seat backs are hard plastic and the rear seat backs are felt covered board of some kind. No leather in either place.
I concur that there appears to be more than one grade of leather, but all of the flexible surfaces appear to be covered with leather. If you have the optional leather dashboard then you have some hard surfaces that are leather covered as well. I have not spotted or smelled any of the dreaded flexible vinyl that is often found on the sides and backs of seats. There is some cloth to be found where the fabric needs to flex a lot.

·
Premium Member
1,114 Posts
Very few manufacturers use complete leather on their seats . It's really expensive and not as durable over the long haul on spaces that receive a lot of abuse. It's also very heavy. As the Giulia is a performance car, they have designed to be light. Most performance manufacturers want their sports cars to stay under 4000 lbs (1814 Kg). There is also a movement to reduce leather consumption and move to similar synthetic fabrics.

·
Registered
2018 Q4 with Fiamenghi Ti exhaust, Race Mod, and Tecnico wheels.
7,738 Posts
Very few manufacturers use complete leather on their seats . It's really expensive and not as durable over the long haul on spaces that receive a lot of abuse. It's also very heavy. As the Giulia is a performance car, they have designed to be light. Most performance manufacturers want their sports cars to stay under 4000 lbs (1814 Kg). There is also a movement to reduce leather consumption and move to similar synthetic fabrics.
Leather vs Alcantara over the entire interior (including dash and doors) is on the order of 10-15 pounds weight difference. It is a difference but not something that is going to justify substituting vinyl (much heavier and less durable than Alcantara) for leather. Using vinyl is strictly a cost cutting measure. Besides not being durable, vinyl outgasses and fogs windows, cruds up the interior, etc.

I'm not sure about cloth versus dirt compared to leather. I think leather has less tendency to absorb dirt, especially sweat and similar smelly stuff. When you clean cloth the dirt gets pushed past the fibers and into the padding. You don't see it, but it is still there and still making a smell and/or creating allergens when the cushions are flexed.. When you clean leather (or vinyl) the dirt gets lifted off.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts