Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there!! I'm thinking of ordering a Giulia and selecting the leather dash and doors option. First of all, is it worth it does it make a huge difference? And second, how will it hold up in the hot Florida sun? Is there any secret to how you guys maintain the leather dash anyone seeing any changes after awhile? Thanks!

·
Registered
128 Posts
Hi there!! I'm thinking of ordering a Giulia and selecting the leather dash and doors option. First of all, is it worth it does it make a huge difference? And second, how will it hold up in the hot Florida sun? Is there any secret to how you guys maintain the leather dash anyone seeing any changes after awhile? Thanks!
Can't talk about maintenance because I've only had my car for a month, but it terms of appearances, I think the leather dash is stunning. Try sitting in a non-leather and then the leather, that should answer your question of whether it is worth it or not. For me, it made a big difference.

·
Registered
36 Posts
This is my personal opinion.

After sitting in my Q2 with the leather dash/door option I had to have it, I felt it really added to the interior aesthetics and I would not be ok going back to a Giulia that didn't have it. As far as maintenance I am not sure of specifics, I have always been a firm believer in hot water(add a little soap if needed) to clean leather with the occasional conditioner application. Obviously dont over saturate with the hot soapy water, just put it on a rag and wipe with a dry cloth almost immediately.

Another option I really like is the Aluminum bits on the interior over the wood options.

·
Registered
2020 Alfa Romeo Giulia Sport Ti AWD
7,754 Posts
I like the leather. Spoiled for life.

Every time I've been to Florida (going back to when I was a wee lad and my grandparents lived there) I've noticed shaded parking places. Carports? Anyway, finding a parking place out-of-the-sun seems generally doable. And if you can't do it 100% of the time the car should be able to handle it. A little high-quality leather conditioner from time-to-time should suffice. Now that you've got me thinking, maybe cold is as great an enemy?

·
Registered
460 Posts
+1 for the leather. I love leather dashes, think they make a huge difference. When shopping for a slightly-used Cayman S, I drove from Baltimore to North Carolina just to get one with a leather dash (they're hard to find in 987s), but it was well worth it. In the Giulia, just as much as the Cayman, I think it really transforms the interior, especially with that counterstitching.

I would avoid leather conditioners that make the leather shiny. Ok on seats but looks terrible on a dash. There are some non-shiny matte finish products out there, usually the more upscale brands. I use SONUS and am happy with it, but there are others.

And UV is your enemy; use a sun shade for your windshield. There is a stitch line up near the front of the dash that will end up looking awfully ugly if the leather is allowed to shrink and pull at those stitches.

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
Ditto on leather...
One of the reasons people seem to think the car is a lot more expensive than it is...
Dash and door leather seems to be treated with something from factory to sustain the heat and UV light....I use periodically leather conditioner but material seems to absorb close to nothing....so far it is like new almost a year ago...but I garage the car and it is rarely parked outside for long time, even at airports always in a garage

·
Registered
2019 Rosso Competizione Stelvio Ti Sport Nero Edizione
651 Posts
The love for the leather dash seems unanimous. I think it really gives the car a luxury feel. It looks especially nice with the contrasting stitching.
I wipe mine down about once a month with leather cleaner/conditioner.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I use Lexus conditioner. I apply the conditioner and let it sit in the sun for a few hours. I then wipe off any excess and gently buff the leather to a matte finish.

Reactions: LoCoRob

·
Registered
2018 Q4 with Fiamenghi Ti exhaust, Race Mod, and Tecnico wheels.
7,910 Posts
Ditto on leather...
One of the reasons people seem to think the car is a lot more expensive than it is...
Dash and door leather seems to be treated with something from factory to sustain the heat and UV light....I use periodically leather conditioner but material seems to absorb close to nothing....so far it is like new almost a year ago...but I garage the car and it is rarely parked outside for long time, even at airports always in a garage
I was told that the leather is coated with plastic (urethane?). For a conditioner to work it needs to treat both the plastic and the leather underneath and it needs to be thin enough to penetrate the pores of the plastic.

See
http://www.giuliaforums.com/forum/7...s-problems/12714-top-5-giulia-problems-6.html

So far the only problem that I have had with the coated leather seats in my Subaru is stains that will not clean off even in the hands of a pro detailer. It's my wife's car, so I have no idea how the stains got there or what they are (grease or wax or some such)

I always treated the leather of my Etype seats with lanolin. This could make the leather on junk yard seats that had been sitting out in the weather look good (I tried). However, it apparently is too viscous to penetrate the plastic and it is not a good treatment for plastic.

Oh yeah, I ordered the leather dash for my car. It looks great and the leather door uppers are nice to the touch. It comes bundled with the air quality system too.

·
Registered
203 Posts
In my years of collecting cars there is only one product for conditioning leather that really works. This is not just a waxy coating like all the other products in the category. Check it out: http://www.leatherique.com

Totally agree with everyone here that the leather dash makes a huge difference in the interior ambiance of the car. Look, feel, and aroma.

Reactions: Jason McInnis

·
Registered
139 Posts
1z Lederpflege (nextzett I think they're called now) .

I've found nothing that works quite as well as this.
It's ideal for removing blue jean dye off of leather, as well as conditioning auto leather on seats, steering wheels, gear levers, etc.

Leaves leather with a clean, natural sheen - and eliminates greasy build up easily.

·
Registered
473 Posts
Here is what the Owner's Manual says:

LEATHER SEATS

Remove the dry dirt with a chamois or
slightly damp cloth, without exerting too
much pressure.

Remove any liquid or grease stains
using an absorbent dry cloth, without
rubbing. Then clean with a soft cloth or
buckskin cloth dampened with water
and mild soap. If the stain persists, use
specific products and observe the
instructions carefully.

Note: Never use alcohol. Make sure
that the cleaning products used contain
no alcohol or alcohol derivatives, even
in small quantities.

PLASTIC AND COATED PARTS

Clean interior plastic parts with a damp
cloth (if possible made from microfiber),
and a solution of water and neutral,
non-abrasive detergent.

To clean oily or persistent stains, use
specific products free from solvents and
designed to maintain the original
appearance and color of the
components.

Remove any dust using a microfiber
cloth, if necessary moistened with
water. The use of paper tissues is not
recommended as these may leave
residues.

GENUINE LEATHER PARTS

Use only water and mild soap to clean
these parts. Never use alcohol or
alcohol-based products.

Before using a specific product for
cleaning interiors, make sure that it
does not contain alcohol and/or alcohol
based substances.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I was told that the leather is coated with plastic (urethane?). For a conditioner to work it needs to treat both the plastic and the leather underneath and it needs to be thin enough to penetrate the pores of the plastic.

See
https://www.giuliaforums.com/forum/...s-problems/12714-top-5-giulia-problems-6.html

So far the only problem that I have had with the coated leather seats in my Subaru is stains that will not clean off even in the hands of a pro detailer. It's my wife's car, so I have no idea how the stains got there or what they are (grease or wax or some such)

I always treated the leather of my Etype seats with lanolin. This could make the leather on junk yard seats that had been sitting out in the weather look good (I tried). However, it apparently is too viscous to penetrate the plastic and it is not a good treatment for plastic.

Oh yeah, I ordered the leather dash for my car. It looks great and the leather door uppers are nice to the touch. It comes bundled with the air quality system too.

Haven't gotten my Ti Sport yet, but have been doing plenty of lurking. And, got to say that Lockem is quite right about the leather in about 95% of the cars out there...it is treated/coated leather and using leather conditioning products is a a waste of time and money as these products don't penetrate into the leather. Mild soap and water does the job as just about every car owners manual says. If you don't believe that the leather is coated, try this simple test: Place a few drops of water on a "hidden" spot. If the surface is coated, the water will bead. If the leather surface is not coated, the leather will absorb the water and there will be a water stain mark. On the other hand, if the seats are worn, the coating may have been rubbed off and then leather treating products may be appropriate to use.

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
Sun shade for life. When it wears out, replace it. Get a Jumbo sized one for SUVs, then fold the lower corners under to fit the curve of the lower windshield. You can buy a custom Weather Tech or such but the cheap ones at the auto stores will do just fine. Go big and then make it fit. I use a small one on the rear shelf, even with my tint, and it almost stands up on it's own on the headrests but doesn't really need to with the accordion folds. Conditioner, Mothers VLR, Zymol, Shoe Polish, Saddle soap,whatever is required. Avoid the shine of polish if you can. It's better for filling scratches and abrasions.

When my 360 burnt up it's alternator, the car sat at the dealer for at least a week while they waited for the oil sender (broke it) and power cable (what removing broke it) to come in. I am pretty sure it either was in the lot for a while after they got the top back up, or the shop inside was harsh enough that the near mint dash on my 2004 got slightly mottled from being parked without the cover or sunshade in place. The shade was in the car! There were grungy hand spots on the seats from the job too when I picked it up. Rear panel comes off and the cable goes from alternator passenger side, branching off power..., over the trans-axle below the oil filter and right under the sender (SNAP!) and then over to the other side, branching off some more. A big job but that was all it took to add some age to my dash. It's not bad but you will notice if you look closely. It may be only a slight variance from the detailing treatment even, but you can't help but wonder. Get a shade and use it.

Reactions: Alfaholico
1 - 20 of 43 Posts