Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
857 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,
I have had my car a couple of weeks and need some suggestions/advice. I am looking for something to condition/protect the beautiful red leather interior. As you know, the leather looks really nice and I want to try and preserve it for as long as possible. Some leather cleaners/conditioners that I've used previously tend to but a bit of a shine on the leather and also leave a sticky feeling. I would like to see if I can keep if looking less shiny, just like it is now. Any suggestions? Thanks and have a great day. :smile2:

·
Registered
231 Posts
just tried few days back
seems to be nice and no sticky business

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
Everyone will have their favorite.

This one is mine:

·
Registered
139 Posts
I've been detailing my cars myself for years, and nothing comes close to this:

This is the absolute best cleaner and protectant.

Leaves leather feeling clean and nourish, while only giving a natual, semi-matte shine to the hide.

Also does a top notch job of removing blue jean dye from seats.

·
Registered
2018 Ti Sport Q2
1,173 Posts
Been looking into this as well. Right now, its looking like ill be going with AutoGlym cleaner and AutoGlym balm. They came highly recommended, but i do not have any experience with the products.

Cheers

·
Registered
111 Posts
I've used a number of products over the years, liked griots but seemed to be sticky. Currently using Lexol and and happy with it.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Exact same interior and I tried Lexol conditioner. Works on everything, even the steering wheel- even got some on that mesh like stuff on the bottom it was fine.. It doesn't stain, darken or gloss anything.

That's the stuff for this car. I hate greasy looking interiors too.

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
Yeah don’t like the old school armor-all greasy shiny look either. I got a bottle of the Chemical Guys Leather Protectant - Dry-to-the-Touch Serum. Gonna try that. Dry to the touch sold me...

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
This thread today made me finally stop procrastinating and clean and condition my QV’s leather. I kinda hate doing this the first time in a new car because it invariably makes things look less new and some stuff adds greasy shiny feel and look so I decided to use the Chemical Guys spray cleaner/conditioner and their dry to the touch leather serum.

The car wasn’t very dirty but had some light dust so I used the spray cleaner on a microfiber cloth, lightly rubbed it in and then buffed it off with a clean mf. It seems to do a nice job and not leave and greasy residue at all and left a very low luster finish that looks pretty much like it did when new.

After that I next applied the serum with a mf applicator pad and let it sit a bit and buffed it off with a clean mf cloth and it did leave the leather feeling even softer, especially the driver’s seat bolster which takes most abuse from ingress/egress etc. and started to develop some creases. The liquid is very thick and almost looks and feels like beige colored skin cream/moisturizer. It also leaves a dry to the touch non-greasy feeling and very low reflective matte/satin finish like from the factory after buffing it off with a clean mf.

Other things of note both products smell nice, not chemically really but more like new car leather smell so that’s nice. Also the serum seems to work fine on the plastic. I tested it in the back seats to see what happened when you invariably get over application onto plastic parts and it didn’t seem to change the look of the plastic. If anything it makes the lower half of the door panels, with probably the lowest grade plastic in the interior, look even better and less shiny.

On the dash the plastic between the leather dash top and carbon fiber strip above the glovebox came out matte too. The matte black plastic around the instrument binnacles looks great after buffing down everything after letting it soak in a bit on the leather surfaces and it didn’t streak at all so you can pretty much use this stuff everywhere it seems. Your mileage may vary and it’s always good to test stuff out somewhere where it won’t bother you before application everywhere! I attached some photos (it actually looks even more matte in person, it think digital cameras try to boost specialty highlight to add to the sense of detail but in person it looks clean and nice with very low reflectance:

Attachments

·
Registered
317 Posts
I definitely like chemical guys after using it on my last car. It will leave a sheen (which I liked on a light, colored interior) but I was nervous about the plastics since buffing it off the particular plastics in this car is
tough, especially the vent binnacles. I may try it again but when I first used it on the all black QV I regretted it. I currently use Armour All wipes which leaves only a hint of sheen. Admittedly it probably won't condition like Chemical guys....

Sent from my HTC6545LVW using Tapatalk

·
Registered
67 Posts
I have worried about leather conditioners damaging the red stitching. I recall reading somewhere that some leather conditioners deteriorated the stitching.

·
Registered
2018 Q4 with Fiamenghi Ti exhaust, Race Mod, and Tecnico wheels.
7,729 Posts
I have been using lexol. It slightly darkens and shines the leather, but leaves it soft, dry and not sticky. However, it does leave streaks on the adjacent plastic bits. After letting the lexol "dry" and then buffing it with a clean cloth the shine goes away.

My wife managed to smear something dark and slightly sticky on the very light gray leather seats of her Crosstrek. Nothing seems to be able to clean it off. Any ideas? I hired a detailer to make a stab at it, but no joy. That same detailer put an armor-all like shiny-sticky goo on the plastic dashboard, so maybe not the best detailer ...

Hyde food (lanolin and a solvent) worked wonders on my E-type leather seats, but they were not plastic coated. Works wonders as a hand cream too.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts