Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

I am a soon-to-be Giulia driver. I was born and raised in Italy, my father did buy a Giulia, I did own a 33, a 75 a 164 and a 155; so can't say that I do not love Alfa :)

Now, the issue that I have is that I do not want to buy one, but I would like to lease, to see how reliability goes, and avoid to make an expensive mistake. There is not enough data to figure out if the car is reliable or not, so I went for the lease option.

This is my first lease though; I did read a bit about it, and understand that the key is the residual value (which seems to be around 49-51%). So I did build one online, and tried to get a quote from a dealer in the Bay area in CA, although I can't get any number out of them; tried 3 dealers so far, same story.
It is hard for me to figure out exactly how much is a good deal, and what is not; but without numbers I can't do that.

Do you have any data about CA, that could help me to figure out exactly what would be a fair price to lease a Giulia? I am looking at a Ti version; either AWD or RWD would be the same; with sport package.

Thanks in advance for the help!

·
Registered
226 Posts
Go to leasehckr.com Great site for all things leasing - search Giulia and so far about 10 comments on the frustrations of leasing.. Residual is low, supply of the car is low, and not much factory discounts.. My Ti was quoted by first dealer at $620 per month plus tax, with 10% down on a 39/10 lease! Absolute crap. He came down to $550.. I was looking for sub $500 with minimal drive off.

I ended up just buying outright from a different dealer :) Liked the car too much to just wait until year end when leases might get better.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for sharing your info! BTW the site you mention show a generic page; like if it is not active anymore.

Unless I misunderstood, you are saying that lease now is not a good idea, since there are not enough rebates and the quantity of cars on the market is low. I was planning a budget between 350 and 500 at the door; but looking at the signals, it seems that I can't really get that :(

·
Registered
59 Posts
My ATS 3.6 lease ends in September. I hope the Giulia leases get significantly better by then, because those two Giulia lease deals are atrocious. The South Bay deal pencils out to about $560 per month with a huge portion (more than a third of the total cost of the lease) paid up front. The San Diego deal is not as front loaded, but is even worse in the end. You still need to come up with 22% of the total lease cost up front and the total price is $609 per month. That's nuts.

To spec out an Alfa so that it is equivalent to my current ride, you are looking at approximately $48,000 MSRP. So scaling those two deals, you are looking at $672 per month with over $8,000 of that up front, or $730 per month with $5,800 of that up front. My Caddy has a different kind of social cache than an Alfa, but trust me, from a driver's perspective the cars are very, very comparable. I dare you to cross shop. Any way, I am willing to pay a premium for the Alfa, but for the ATS (which has rotten residuals and is no lease bargain) I am paying less than $600, before tax, with zero down.

As inventories fill up, I hope these deals get at least remotely competitive. With September as my target date, I think everything should work out. The lots will be full of unsold Giulias and the 2018's might even be arriving. Let's hope. I want to drive an Alfa.

Reactions: Max

·
Registered
3 Posts
My ATS 3.6 lease ends in September. I hope the Giulia leases get significantly better by then, because those two Giulia lease deals are atrocious. The South Bay deal pencils out to about $560 per month with a huge portion (more than a third of the total cost of the lease) paid up front. The San Diego deal is not as front loaded, but is even worse in the end. You still need to come up with 22% of the total lease cost up front and the total price is $609 per month. That's nuts.

To spec out an Alfa so that it is equivalent to my current ride, you are looking at approximately $48,000 MSRP. So scaling those two deals, you are looking at $672 per month with over $8,000 of that up front, or $730 per month with $5,800 of that up front. My Caddy has a different kind of social cache than an Alfa, but trust me, from a driver's perspective the cars are very, very comparable. I dare you to cross shop. Any way, I am willing to pay a premium for the Alfa, but for the ATS (which has rotten residuals and is no lease bargain) I am paying less than $600, before tax, with zero down.

As inventories fill up, I hope these deals get at least remotely competitive. With September as my target date, I think everything should work out. The lots will be full of unsold Giulias and the 2018's might even be arriving. Let's hope. I want to drive an Alfa.
Tommy,

For what its worth, I got myself into a Giulia Ti last week. MSRP was approximately $50,000. I ended up with a lease of $580 with approximately $4k down. $15k miles. Something seems way off on base quote or the scaling.

Jim

·
Registered
226 Posts
<< I'm not sure if all dealers are honoring it but it looks like $400-$500/month with 10% down.>>

My experience is that dealers were NOT honoring the Alfa website lease offer - in fact both dealers I spoke with were unaware of it. Granted this was 5 weeks ago when the car was just landing at both dealerships, but it struck me as that there was little cohesion between Alfa North America and their dealer network. It seemed like the attitude was "due to limited inventory, each dealer is on their own to strike their own deal." Surprised that there wasn't better coordination, and even the lease terms on the Alfa NA website weren't great.

I've leased Audis and Saabs in the past, and there was much better synchronization between the NA corporate entity and the dealerships. With both brands the dealers have always proactively brought up the North American lease terms - and there was consistency between the various Audi dealerships, Saab dealerships, etc.

Alfa will eventually have to get to this point, IF the Giulia becomes a volume platform. But I kinda like the fact that it's hard to acquire - one of the turnoffs on owning a C300 or 3 series now, for me, is that you see so many of them on the road.

·
Registered
646 Posts
A huge glut of used cars will start flooding the market late summer and lasting for several years. That will negatively impact resale values on all cars, but prestige brands less so. Alfa (like Cadillac) is not a 'prestige' brand, which means that unless FCA subsidizes these leases, the lease rates are going to keep getting worse (because the resale of these cars will be projected to be low).

(I'm not saying that Alfa and Caddy are not great cars, I'm saying that for resale and finance purposes, they do not hold value anywhere near like a Mercedes or BMW). And much less so in the future. Unfortunately for many of us.

·
Registered
3 Posts
A huge glut of used cars will start flooding the market late summer and lasting for several years. That will negatively impact resale values on all cars, but prestige brands less so. Alfa (like Cadillac) is not a 'prestige' brand, which means that unless FCA subsidizes these leases, the lease rates are going to keep getting worse (because the resale of these cars will be projected to be low).

(I'm not saying that Alfa and Caddy are not great cars, I'm saying that for resale and finance purposes, they do not hold value anywhere near like a Mercedes or BMW). And much less so in the future. Unfortunately for many of us.
If we are to take the first sentence as fact, aren't the leasing companies already factoring that in to the residual now for a car we are going to hand back in 3 years? I don't understand the "its going to get worse" part. Leasing companies already need to be looking out three years from now and presumably would be factoring in the glut you reference will be around for several years, wouldn't they?

I just got out of a BMW 328xi that had about the net selling price (including rebates) as a Giulia Ti that I just got into. Same amount of miles, same amount down, I ended up with a lease on the Giulia that was about $40 higher per month than the BMW. I did go 39 months instead of 36, but most of the difference is in the residual, which I accepted. The BMW has a somewhat predictable track record on the residual side which Alfa doesn't have right now, leading them to get pretty conservative on residual.

I asked myself whether it was worth an extra buck and change a day to drive with the smile on my face that I have with the Alfa that I was no longer getting with the BMW and the answer was a resounding yes. :grin2:

·
Registered
59 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Not sure if the issue is that the residual value is high; I don't see too many Giulia on the street, and for 600-700 per month, you can get a Maserati...

The dealer offers are way above what you get on the site; even the base that cost 39K, with 10% down should be estimate at 319 per month, but the dealer was actually asking 510.
Why would someone overpay for it; when the website estimates are way lower?

Plus the salesmen got quite an attitude, like if you are the poor guy that will never drive this car. They should try to promote the car so they sell more; instead they behave like if you were buying a Porsche :) I had to walk away from one, after getting 3 different prices; we spoke at the phone and he gave me 399; I did test the car and he told me that I can get that car instead of waiting for the delivery of the one that I did configure, but they did put on the price, multiple packages (for example, if you have the sport 19' package, it include the performance pagkage and the 18' sport package...instead their sticker had multiple packages loaded on it, with the same stuff...I wish I had a photo of it.). Then I did bite the bullet and after that they did remove the extra money (it was a mistake they said), we ended up at 480; then on the contract they didn't want to get my trade in anymore, and removed the 2K dealer discount that they gave me, and I lost it and left.

Did I get an army of asses in my quest to lease the Giulia, or is it a common thing? I don't get cars that often...maybe it has been like this forever?

·
Registered
646 Posts
You'd think that the FIAT dealers would be so happy to have customers coming in the door for Alfa that they'd lick your shoes, but doesn't seem to be the case. Still playing bait and switch games. Might as well be a Dodge dealer... oh wait...

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
Not sure if the issue is that the residual value is high; I don't see too many Giulia on the street, and for 600-700 per month, you can get a Maserati...

The dealer offers are way above what you get on the site; even the base that cost 39K, with 10% down should be estimate at 319 per month, but the dealer was actually asking 510.
Why would someone overpay for it; when the website estimates are way lower?

Plus the salesmen got quite an attitude, like if you are the poor guy that will never drive this car. They should try to promote the car so they sell more; instead they behave like if you were buying a Porsche :) I had to walk away from one, after getting 3 different prices; we spoke at the phone and he gave me 399; I did test the car and he told me that I can get that car instead of waiting for the delivery of the one that I did configure, but they did put on the price, multiple packages (for example, if you have the sport 19' package, it include the performance pagkage and the 18' sport package...instead their sticker had multiple packages loaded on it, with the same stuff...I wish I had a photo of it.). Then I did bite the bullet and after that they did remove the extra money (it was a mistake they said), we ended up at 480; then on the contract they didn't want to get my trade in anymore, and removed the 2K dealer discount that they gave me, and I lost it and left.

Did I get an army of asses in my quest to lease the Giulia, or is it a common thing? I don't get cars that often...maybe it has been like this forever?
God I hate hearing stuff like this. I want to get it at 450/mo for a lease and it should not be this hard considering competition is all significantly lower with same other numbers generally. FCA needs to smarten up or do something to fix these complaints

·
Registered
134 Posts
I have been working with Kyle at Dave Smith Alfa Romeo in Coeur d'Alene, ID. I am just getting the special order process started. I must say he has been great to work with, AND he is very enthusiastic about the brand and getting more of them out on the road. So far, they are quoting me the exact lease price as on the build sheet using Alfa Romeo USA. There are even a few incentives offered for customers? that are currently in another lease. I'm? currently leasing a Mazda6? and will definitely lease my Giulia for a couple reasons: if for any reason I decide that this 2017 isn't what I want, I'm not stuck with it. If there are no issues or bugs with this car, I can purchase a KNOWN product for about $25-30,000 three years from now. I don't think anyone really knows what the appraisal value on these cars is going to be in three years.

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
I have been working with Kyle at Dave Smith Alfa Romeo in Coeur d'Alene, ID. I am just getting the special order process started. I must say he has been great to work with, AND he is very enthusiastic about the brand and getting more of them out on the road. So far, they are quoting me the exact lease price as on the build sheet using Alfa Romeo USA. There are even a few incentives offered for customers? that are currently in another lease. I'm? currently leasing a Mazda6? and will definitely lease my Giulia for a couple reasons: if for any reason I decide that this 2017 isn't what I want, I'm not stuck with it. If there are no issues or bugs with this car, I can purchase a KNOWN product for about $25-30,000 three years from now. I don't think anyone really knows what the appraisal value on these cars is going to be in three years.
Not only is Coeur d'Alene a beautiful place ... I am really happy to hear someone else is having a good experience with their dealer, congratulations, I hope everything works well. Very encouraging

·
Registered
343 Posts
I leased my 2017 Giulia Ti, 19" sports package, sunroof, etc. Sticker $49,190. I put $6500 down and drove off the lot with a 36 month/10,000 mi a yr lease for $570 a month, no security deposit and no first months payment due at signing. Just over $25,000 for it at the end of the lease. Good lease? No. Not when you see BMW's Merc, Caddy for $0 down, $399 a month. But here's the thing. I don't want one of those cars. I've been driving a 1991 Alfa Romeo Spider, which has it's share of issues...but even that was better than those other cars I saw on the road. I was not getting in to a new car until it was a car that swept me off my feet. Giulia did that...and more. This IS the car to replace my current Alfa. Giulia is fun. She's sporty. She's unique (haven't seen another on the roads in Vegas in 7 weeks). She was the car for me and I was willing to pay to get her. I chose the lease over buying, just in case in 3 years there are issues with it being an all new model. But so far, nothing. My Giulia has been fantastic!

Yes, this was a truly emotional decision. And, yes, that is how you don't make the best deal. But, I'm also having more fun driving this than those other people I see 5 and 6 of at a time at a traffic light in their, my lease was less so everyone has one, sedans.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Alfa in Vegas, I totally get it. This car has a way of tugging on emotions and forcing you to fall in love with it. Some things you just can't translate to $$.

It will be interesting to see if Alfa tries to go the volume route - if so the lease costs will come down as lots of buyers in this segment are unemotional and view the sports sedans as a commodity. Personally I hope they keep the brand more exclusive - enough to be successful but also limited enough to control pricing. I like owning a car that is "different" - other than my Tacoma work truck I've never run with the crowd.

The Stelvio launch will impact things - this will bring lots more people into Alfa dealers - the US is Xover and SUV crazy (look what the F-Pace has done for Jag). Some of these Stelvio lookers will end up in a Giulia - that could impact demand..

Anyways, enjoy your sweet ride in the Vegas sun!

·
Registered
59 Posts
Alfa in Vegas, I too get you, and I too have way over paid for several cars because THAT was the car that I wanted to drive. Your deal looks bad as a lease, but it will look better if you ultimately buy it at the end of the term. I hope you have a good one there that you will want to keep.

This September, I really really want to lease a Ti built out very similar to yours -- I keep going back and forth between Montecarlo Blue and Vulcano Black; Yellow calipers, instead of red; Black/Tan interior or just black. Anyway, my excitement for the Alfa is very high. However, at the current lease rates, I am going to have look seriously at the base Maserati. When I was a young man a drove a Chrysler TC, which I referred to as a Maserati, but my friends all ragged on me by calling it a La Baron. So, before I die, I have to drive a proper Maserati. Anyway, they have an ultra low mileage lease that I could work with. $5,000 at lease start, $488/mo for 36 months. The catch is that I would have to get whatever base Ghibli was on the lot that month and need to plan on a ballon payment at the end of the term based on how many miles over 15,000 I drove. I have a Yukon Denali for my longer trips. So, I would probably only need about 8,000 per year. That equates to a $2,700 payment at lease end. All told, that would be about $713 per month, less than your monthly cost for your Alfa.

The question is what is better -- a base Ghibli (probably black on black) or your nicely appointed Ti. I have driven the Alfa. It drives great and I love it. I have not driven the Ghibli, and the reviews I have read have been mixed, though it looks beautiful. I guess I'll just have to play it by ear as my current lease comes due.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts