Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

long time lurker, getting really serious about replacing my wife`s car and getting into the beautiful Giulia.

My wife is in love with the way the Giulia looks and drives but we have some concerns about reliability. We are considering other European alternatives so we are fully aware of potentially dealing with problems (fancy cars). After all this isn't a toyota camry or something. I have a friend that works for Maserati/Ferrari as a mechanic so i can always go to him as well. He heavily advises against any FCA products but we are really in love with the car.. :)

However, I`ve been reading the problems/issues thread and I see some potential safety related issues like fuel leaks and sudden shut offs (i hear that this one might have been solved through re-programming the ECU).. this is unlike some cute Italian charms like the remote start not working and stuff...

We never leased a car before and will probably go over the 15k mile limit.. is it still worth it for us (do you guys really enjoy the ownership) or should I just go for a used 6 series from Carmax with full warranty?

Thanks!

·
Registered
124 Posts
I've bitched and complained about my initial problems with my Giulia here but after those were taken care of and it seems FCA is stepping up to the plate on improving service without drama, I have to say I love the car, I smile every time I drive it. I used to own a 6 series and it's a very comfortable car but it never will get you excited.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've bitched and complained about my initial problems with my Giulia here but after those were taken care of and it seems FCA is stepping up to the plate on improving service without drama, I have to say I love the car, I smile every time I drive it. I used to own a 6 series and it's a very comfortable car but it never will get you excited.
I hate to compare the two cars since it`s a different segment but money-wise it`s one of the best cars I can get..

Thanks for the comment, especially knowing that you`ve owned both cars.

·
Registered
256 Posts
I also had some problems initially. In fact, it had to be towed three times. NOT fun. But they figured it out and I could not be more happy about owning this car. I literally have to stop myself from glancing back as I walk away in a parking lot. And, I'm not gonna lie, getting constant thumbs ups and compliments everywhere I go is pretty cool. An added perk.

You will not regret this. But something tells me you've already decided to join the Alfa family.... welcome!

·
Premium Member
2,086 Posts
welcome! I'm in the zero issues camp as many are, my biggest issue being not driving it as much as I want to :)

My wife LOVES the Giulia and happy wife happy life...

What's she going to be sitting next to? Will she be upstaging or complimenting?

·
Registered
36 Posts
I don't think Carmax can CPO(Certified Pre-owned) used 6 series like a BMW dealer can. I remember the last time I was shopping for a CPO M5, it came with a 5yrs/100K miles factory warranty. My wife currently has a 2015 428i convertible and I had a 2011 X5 5.0, both leased brand new and they are great cars but I don't think I will buy them as used because once you're out of a warranty, we're talking major $$$ for a repair. I also belong to the zero issue camp after 500 miles/1 month of hard driving. My Giulia Ti with LSD sport pkg with paddle shifters has been just FANTASTIC and I have a 24 months lease. It was a no brainer for me after my first test drive. I was looking at Audi A4 as well but there is no way I will pay $100 more every month for a car with less options for a 36 month lease. I obviously recommend Alfa but you gotta go with what you like. Test drive both !! Gotta say though, my Giulia is just intoxicating :):)

·
Registered
36 Posts
welcome! I'm in the zero issues camp as many are, my biggest issue being not driving it as much as I want to :)

My wife LOVES the Giulia and happy wife happy life...

What's she going to be sitting next to? Will she be upstaging or complimenting?
So I gave my brand new Giulia key to my wife to take my daughter to volleyball practice and run some errands. She comes back after 3 hours and tosses the key back to me and says "This car is way too LOUD for me" I said
"It sure is" :smile2::smile2::smile2: "D" mode0:)0:)

·
Registered
246 Posts
Well, I'd be a new giulia ti owner if I could find a dealership in so cal worth dealing with. All I want is a ti sport, mostly loaded; prefer white but would take red too. Don't want black but gray is nice. Suggestions? Tired of being a lurker;)

·
Registered
105 Posts
I see you're in San Diego. I had a pretty low stress experience at Alfa of San Diego in Kearny Mesa. Mine is a Ti Lusso, mostly loaded except I really didn't want the sun roof and did want a particular color combo. We ended up trading for one out of the LA area, but it was still a very good deal financially and I got exactly what I wanted. You can speed it up by browsing the other dealer's inventories, even in LA, on line yourself. Then just walk in and say this is exactly what I want and ask what he can do on price. You can be driving that car the next day. Ask for Tom.

·
Registered
343 Posts
I leased a Ti with 19" Sports package back in Feb (a Nov 2016 build) Had no issues with the car at all, even prior to getting all the updates. Still no trouble. I've never driven a car that handles like this! I'm lucky (and unlucky) that I have a short commute so the 10,000 mi/yr lease was not a problem. For me. I now have 2500 miles on the car, and love driving it. Love the attention I get when in it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
thank you guys for all the comments! I think we are pretty much settled on the Giulia but just wanted to do some more homework before making the decision.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I don't think Carmax can CPO(Certified Pre-owned) used 6 series like a BMW dealer can. I remember the last time I was shopping for a CPO M5, it came with a 5yrs/100K miles factory warranty. My wife currently has a 2015 428i convertible and I had a 2011 X5 5.0, both leased brand new and they are great cars but I don't think I will buy them as used because once you're out of a warranty, we're talking major $$$ for a repair. I also belong to the zero issue camp after 500 miles/1 month of hard driving. My Giulia Ti with LSD sport pkg with paddle shifters has been just FANTASTIC and I have a 24 months lease. It was a no brainer for me after my first test drive. I was looking at Audi A4 as well but there is no way I will pay $100 more every month for a car with less options for a 36 month lease. I obviously recommend Alfa but you gotta go with what you like. Test drive both !! Gotta say though, my Giulia is just intoxicating :):)
We are definitely leaning towards the Alfa :).

as for the Carmax warranty vs CPO, the biggest difference is that CPO warranty that carries over starts from when the vehicle was originally purchased vs Carmax extended warranty (something you buy separately) starts when you buy the car from Carmax and you can go up to 5 yrs 100k miles for few grand up front. Brain says used 6 series with full warranty but heart says Alfa.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts