Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Seems like all new cars have the worst tires these days. I only have 7k miles on my Giulia Sport (18"s) and I'll probably need new rubber within the next few months.

I would like to go to a non-run flat tire for comfort reasons. However, I'm leasing. When I turn the car in does the car need to have OEM tires? Do they have to be run-flats or is it acceptable to have any 4 matching tires as long as they are within the required tread limits and are of the OEM size etc?

This is my first time leasing so I don't want to buy new tires and then have to buy another set at turn in a year from now.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Almost all leases want fun flats, all 4 the same with a certain tread wear left when returned but check your contract.

All my leases I use the run flats for the first few months (ensuring there is enough tread left) and then replace them with non run flats summer tires.

Put the original tires back on when I turn them back in.

·
Registered
483 Posts
I'd like to revive this. Anyone return an Ally lease without runflats?
Best
Ben

·
Registered
2020 Alfa Romeo Giulia Sport Ti AWD
7,441 Posts
My lease expires in May, and I am planning on returning the car on its original run-flats. The car is presently wearing its winter tires, which I believe are key to prolonging the life of the originals, not to mention the car itself and its driver.

Reactions: migliori

·
Registered
483 Posts
Yeah, I've come to the same conclusion. My plan is to have the dealer I am returning the vehicle to install them prior to inspection. I've got the Cinturatos with maybe 5K on them sitting in the garage.

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
What happens if you return the car with a cheap Chinese brand?

Will they charge you for that?

Thanks

·
Registered
1 Posts
My Ally lease, in the Excess Wear section, states that the car must be returned with tires of the same size and type as existed at delivery, and with at least 1/8 inch of tread throughout. The lease also specifies that any replacement equipment or parts be of the same design and quality. This would seem to require OEM (or comparable) brand run flats be on the car at lease return.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Almost all leases want fun flats, all 4 the same with a certain tread wear left when returned but check your contract.

All my leases I use the run flats for the first few months (ensuring there is enough tread left) and then replace them with non run flats summer tires.

Put the original tires back on when I turn them back in.
Best answer
If you need to buy tires. Buy what you like a little earlier and enjoy them. Put originals back on for turn in

·
Registered
483 Posts
I did a lease turn in about a week ago where I installed original tires. I'll post a copy of my lease end statement when I get it.

·
Registered
869 Posts
When I turned in my lease I called and asked about the tires, at the time (a year ago) I was told equivalent was ok. And I was refused a pre-inspection; only Maserati is allowed this by Ally.

·
Registered
483 Posts
I JUST got my lease statement. I had the original tires put back on, and they were at the edge of acceptable wear. My DIY rim scuff repair also passed muster. However, the hood liner that a rat ate was billed (~100 bucks). Otherwise all good.

·
Registered
869 Posts
Forgot to mention, I called about the tires because I was "close". In the fine print it mentions they can use a "single" tread to reject the tire (it's not the average across the tire) and I had one tread too low in one spot so it was a razor thin/semantics fight, which is why I wanted the pre-inspection.....

I passed with no money demanded.

·
Registered
2 Posts
i still haven't seen an appropriate answer. I have the alfa Romeo giulia that came with Pirelli cinturato p7 run flats. Can I return the car with a cheaper tire (not Pirelli) as long as it is still a run flat tire?

·
Administrator
2018 Giulia Ti Sport Q4
4,291 Posts
i still haven't seen an appropriate answer. I have the alfa Romeo giulia that came with Pirelli cinturato p7 run flats. Can I return the car with a cheaper tire (not Pirelli) as long as it is still a run flat tire?
We don't make the rules, so we have no idea. Checking with the lease agreement experts is your only option.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Has anyone had experience with return a lease with excess mileage? I have 2 months left on my lease and am right at the limit...Expect them to charge me the excess but would love to hear of anyone with a similar situation. Lease through Ally.

·
Registered
2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia Ti Sport
46 Posts
Most leasing companies are not draconian when it comes to lease end. There is a guideline for acceptable scratches, scuffs, dents, dings, chips, etc. Tires are one area where they typically don't raise much fuss. As long as the wear indicators aren't showing and you don't have stupid mismatches (wrong widths, etc), they let it go.

Remember, they want to earn your business again, not put a bad taste in your mouth.

That said, it does come down to the inspector's report, but even then, tires are going to be replaced by the dealer that buys a car from the remarketing process anyway.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Yes.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts