Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I test drove a Giulia three weeks ago and loved it. I had planned to get the car in the spring of 2018, but I looked at my finances and realized I probably could pull something off in August or even a little sooner. I called the dealer and rear-wheel-drive car I liked had just been dealer traded. They don't have anything else in stock that I like, and there are not any other rear-wheel-drive cars even close to the equipment I want within a 200 mile radius.

Since the car I wanted is gone, I figured it best to just wait a month or so, order the exact car I want and have a little bit more money to put down when I take delivery in September or October. I have two convertibles I just pulled out for the summer so the car wouldn't have a ton of use next few months anyway. Unfortunately my dealer can't seem to guarantee any kind of a lease price when the car comes in. I have bought many BMWs and when I submit the credit app, the dealer could lock in the rate and some (though not necessarily all) of the promotional programs for 60 days. If a better promotion was available when the car came in, that is what you would get. So at least you wouldn't go backwards.

Given the low residuals of the car and the lack of support from the manufacturer so far, I am not really sure how to proceed. I don't think my dealer wants to order a rear-wheel-drive car for me here in the Northeast, and I don't really want to order something with no idea of what it's going to actually cost when it comes in. if there is no way to lock in a lease rate I may be forced to go out of state, find a car equipped the way that I want and negotiate a deal there. I prefer to stay with my local dealer and my salesman but my needs taken care of, too.

Has this been the way it is work for those of you who have ordered cars to lease? It could just be that my dealer is trying to stuff me into something right at this moment and doesn't want to order something for me, especially since it is rear-wheel drive. If that's truly how it is and I won't know what the prices until the car comes in, it makes it pretty hard to do business.

I guess another factor is there is unlikely to be any sales support for 2018s anytime soon.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Since the car I wanted is gone, I figured it best to just wait a month or so, order the exact car I want and have a little bit more money to put down when I take delivery in September or October.
LOL!! Order an Alfa in July or August for a Sept or Oct delivery!!! This IS your first Italian car. Just joking with you, but seriously on many of the threads on here people have had nightmares ordering cars with some even calling the dealers to find out where the cars are only to learn their orders were cancelled, but no one let them know. Most are 4-6 months out. There has also been some discussion of a summer cutoff and factory shutdown for summer vacations - but I don't know if that is true. I would think if your ordered in July or Aug, you would be ordering a MY18 vehicle. And, again, there's another thread on here about prices increasing, not increasing by a lot, a little...no one seems to know for sure. You can't lok at this like you are ordering a german car, because the process and experience will be nothing like that. But when you get that Giulia, driving her makes it all worth while. BTW, I got lucky and found the exact car I wanted on a dealer lot.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yow. Maybe I should order in October for spring delivery! Either that or look at go with BMW again and get an M4. I actually preferred the drive of the Giulia Ti RWD though, plus I already have a BMW I am keeping.

I will look through those threads. Why were the orders canceled? One of the reasons I am leasing is because the car and the dealer network are such an unknown right now. My gut tells me this isn't a smart move, but dammit I really like the car.

·
Registered
343 Posts
No, I found mine on a dealer lot back in Feb right after the dealer received it's first shipment of cars.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts