Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I usually buy my cars but a "friend" at a Porsche dealership recommended leasing a QV if it's the car I choose because of the uncertain real world resale values a couple years from now. I hadn't really considered it but he makes a valid point since a lease guarantees the residual.

Anyone out there lease their QV? If so, mind sharing the basic details of your deal (MSRP, down payment, fees, annual mileage, monthly payment)?

Much appreciated!

·
Registered
443 Posts
Do not lease a QV. It's currently $999 a month with $6k down. That's absolutely insane.

If you need to worry about resale maybe a $80,000 car isn't the right choice.

I don't mean to sound like a dick when I say that but this car ain't cheap and will have terrible resale.

·
Registered
36 Posts
As a auto broker my best advice for getting into a QV would be to either Finance it on the longest term you are comfortable with payment wise for ZERO down with only paying the drive offs up front (First Month Payment, Registration and Bank fees, etc.). Second best choice would be to buy it cash.

·
Registered
8 Posts
These cars do not lease well at all... Their residuals and the money factors (rent charges) are astronomical. Unless you write off your lease payments for business, there's no reason for a lease...

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
You can go out to the build site. A very basic QV with no options was showing 10% down and capitalized cost of 67k and 1175 a month 48 months. If you lease for a shorter period the lease rates will increase since depreciation is highest in the first 2 years. I would say cash if you can. We just paid cash and 8 year warranty or 125k miles.

I am not sure you can do 24 month leases on the QV. You are in a different ball game with the QV

·
Registered
4 Posts
Maybe this is a naive question but.. why is it so bad to lease the QV? Sure, the payments are much higher than an M3, but your buyout price at lease end will be lower. If you buy out at lease end, it's not too much different from financing, probably slightly more money spent overall.

So you spend a small amount more for a hedge: that if the car depreciates astronomically, or you wreck it, or something horrible goes wrong with it - you can unload it at lease end. In that case it's not great financially, but better than if you had bought it.

·
Registered
253 Posts
To put it as simply as possible, a car that leases "well" has a lease payment much lower than the finance/buy payment. The QV leases very poorly because the lease payment is almost as much as the finance payment. My cousin sells these cars and helped me get a smoking lease deal on a Ti, but he said QV is a car he would never recommend leasing because the high payment negates any advantages that normally come with leasing.

Also, to the previous poster talking about liability vs asset, you are indeed correct, but keep in mind it is a depreciating asset which isn't always that much better than a liability. Every situation is different.

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
Question for you folks that know leases. Are the residuals guaranteed? So a low residual mean a cheap buyout or is it estimated and could change at the end of the lease?

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
Question for you folks that know leases. Are the residuals guaranteed? So a low residual mean a cheap buyout or is it estimated and could change at the end of the lease?
Depends...do you have an open-end or closed-end lease? Federal law requires the lease documents state clearly, up front, which type of lease this is.

In a closed-end lease, often called a “walk away lease”, the residual value is calculated and placed in the contract. You are then able to “walk away” at the end of the lease, after accounting for excess mileage and damage charges, which are also outlined in the contract. You are often also given to option to buy the vehicle at the the residual value, which may be either a good or bad value proposition.

In an open-end lease, the residual value is calculated when you return the vehicle...good luck!

Open-ended leases are very uncommon in consumer leasing, but do still pop-up now and then.

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
I can see a closed-end lease being a good option for cars with very low residual values which I am hearing on these forums as being AR's. So you can buy the car for cheap at the end of the lease term. However, it still means that you would have to be planning ahead and saving for that buy out or you would be financing the remaining balance which I am guessing the majority don't do which is why dealers are banking on folks not buying those cars. Since most consumers are not going to say hey, I can buy this car and flip it private sale for more is a risk and likely would not find that worth the hassle. Some folks take very good care of their leased cars others treat it as a rental.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Depends...do you have an open-end or closed-end lease? Federal law requires the lease documents state clearly, up front, which type of lease this is.

In a closed-end lease, often called a “walk away lease”, the residual value is calculated and placed in the contract. You are then able to “walk away” at the end of the lease, after accounting for excess mileage and damage charges, which are also outlined in the contract. You are often also given to option to buy the vehicle at the the residual value, which may be either a good or bad value proposition.

In an open-end lease, the residual value is calculated when you return the vehicle...good luck!

Open-ended leases are very uncommon in consumer leasing, but do still pop-up now and then.
Reviving an old thread. Looking at leasing a 2019 Giulia (NOT QV). Is it possible to trade in a car and use that towards the lease payments? Or do I need to sell the car and bring the cash? At the end of the term, assuming it's a closed end lease I could choose to buy.

·
Registered
310 Posts
As a auto broker my best advice for getting into a QV would be to either Finance it on the longest term you are comfortable with payment wise for ZERO down with only paying the drive offs up front (First Month Payment, Registration and Bank fees, etc.). Second best choice would be to buy it cash.
Can you explain this logic to me?

·
Registered
646 Posts
Reviving an old thread. Looking at leasing a 2019 Giulia (NOT QV). Is it possible to trade in a car and use that towards the lease payments? Or do I need to sell the car and bring the cash? At the end of the term, assuming it's a closed end lease I could choose to buy.
Yes. Whatever positive equity you have in the car will be treated like cash. All dealers on the planet try to lowball your value. Go to Carmax And get a buyout quote from them, and at least you can determine how badly the dealer will be trying to screw you on the trade in.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Can you explain this logic to me?
+1. It sounds like the only way this would ever make sense would be if the finance rate were 0%. The absolutely lowest rate I saw when shopping last month was 2.9% for 60 and 3.49 for 72. A $70K loan over 72 months at 3.49% would accrue $7,700 in interest if paid over the full term. And I don't recall ever making the first payment on a loan when signing papers - the bank still has to fund the loan, and of course they want their interest factored into that first payment.

·
Registered
58 Posts
my money factory of .000187 which is very low.

·
Registered
15 Posts
i see a panermara lease special $1099 + tax. 5000 down. 10k miles per yr.
all desirable cars wont have a "good" lease deal.
if the numbers are similar, and you pick the one that sounds better to you. for a lease you dont worry about the reliability nor the resale value. it's a constant expense just like your phone bill. lease vs finance. they are just mentality differences. but if you drive more than 12k mi a year, finance it.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts