21 - 40 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
1,663 Posts

·
Registered
2018 Giulia Quattroformaggio, 2020 Stelvio TI Sport
306 Posts
never leased before, lease on my 19 is with Ally. I'm curious, when lease term ends is it possible to negotiate a lower buyout price (mine is $24k). I'm really thinking of keeping the car, course I still have a bit over two years left on the term
Yes. When I returned my Fiat 500e lease (LOVED that car), if I recall the buyback when I leased was in the $15k range. The dealer asked if I wanted to buy it back, to which I said NO (had already bought another car), and he proceeded to tell me that I could probably buy it back for $9k. I almost did, but I was fully loaded with cars at the time. Now I regret it, it was an awesome commuter car. Moral of the story is you can always negotiate the buyback price. You may not get what you want, but it's negotiable.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Yes. When I returned my Fiat 500e lease (LOVED that car), if I recall the buyback when I leased was in the $15k range. The dealer asked if I wanted to buy it back, to which I said NO (had already bought another car), and he proceeded to tell me that I could probably buy it back for $9k. I almost did, but I was fully loaded with cars at the time. Now I regret it, it was an awesome commuter car. Moral of the story is you can always negotiate the buyback price. You may not get what you want, but it's negotiable.
Was your lease through Ally? I've read they are notoriously rigid about lease residuals. May be worth a shot though!

·
Registered
2020 Giulia TI
240 Posts
Has anyone renegotiated a residual with Ally?

·
Registered
11 Posts
I tried to start a residual-value negotiation with Ally at the end of my 27 month lease on a 2017 Giulia. Got nowhere with them! Ended up buying it anyway. It was my wife's daily driver and she'd only put about 10K miles on it.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I also tried to negotiate the buy-out with Ally. Had zero success. I actually had a very hard time buying it at all. Dealer was useless during the process.

·
Registered
250 Posts
I really love this car and have another 14 months on my 39 month lease on my $50k Q2 TI Sport. My buyout number is $23k and change. Doesn’t sound to bad. Just not sure I want to take the risk even though it has been rock solid thus far.

·
Registered
755 Posts
I was turning in a Lexus lease that I did not want. It seemed the dealer did not want it either as they tried to negotiate down the residual. I still had 3 months on the lease which I just paid off as I wanted that terrible car out of my driveway.

·
Registered
68 Posts
My 2018 loaded TiSport lease ends in February. It was a 3/36k and at 2.5 years, I'm only at 16k miles. With Covid, I doubt I'll break 20k miles at the end of the lease. The option to purchase in my Ally lease is set at $29.6k (sticker was $53k) which I would not pay for this car given what real depreciation seems to be. I told my dealer that I wouldn't pay for it at the buy out but that if they got the car and wanted to turn around and sell it to my wife (she's not the owner on this car), I'd be down for it. My dealer told me that not only does Ally not negotiate end of lease price, but that Alfa doesn't want there to be a big used car market because it hurts new vehicle sales, which we all know is a struggle for Alfa right now. It's a shame. I've had ZERO issues with my car so I'd be Ok with owning it after a problem free lease thus far...

Instead of being a long time Alfa owner, I'll move onto another brand because I'm not going to buy another Giulia when I like the one I had.

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
Contextually, I don't get the tone change in the last sentence. You are open to buying out your lease but not open to leasing or buying an Alfa again? Why? Do you care to elaborate? You know, for statistical data collection purpose purely...
Instead of being a long time Alfa owner, I'll move onto another brand because I'm not going to buy another Giulia when I like the one I had.

Reactions: Theo

·
Registered
30 Posts
Due to Covid, my leased 18 Ti Sport will only have around 32K miles out of the 39K I paid for. My buyout is around $23K.
My 2018 Giulia Q4 TI Sport was a lease turn-in that I bought for "$30,000" in March. Obviously, since it was the local dealership that's been great to my wife and me, and we've returned the loyalty, the purchase price to me was somewhat different, plus I had two vehicles to trade in. But the car had every option possible, including sunroof and nav, included a set of winter tires, only had 11,000 miles(!) on it, and was in mint condition! I was told the lessee wanted to buy it, but I have no knowledge about who he leased it from. In the end, for reasons unknown to me he opted not to buy, but I know virtually nothing about leasing, since I've always bought my cars.

If you love the car, and you know how well you've treated it, and you have a good relationship with your dealership, I'd buy it literally in a heartbeat if I were you. There are always horror stories about Italian cars, but the Giulias seem to be as mainstream reliable as Fords or VWs or Audis or Lexii, or BMWs. My wife's Stelvio (2018 Sport, purchased new on Halloween 2019) certainly has been. My 2013 Fiat 500 Abarth was bullet-proof, and I hated to see it go, but that seven year experience convinced me that Fiats/Alfas were fully up-to-date modern and dependable.

Tonight we had groceries delivered to our house by a young black dude driving a very recent, quite hot Audi. I quit trying to know Audi model-years or versions long ago, when I was cured of the German car disease, so I can't be more specific. But he was all over the two, side-by-side Alfas in our garage -- her Stelvio and my Giulia, both unintentionally in identical Vesuvio Gray. Sadly, I have to assume his prior source of income that afforded him the hot Audi was one reason he was now in the grocery-delivering business. Covid-19 has had a horrific impact on our economy, and on individual lives.

Knock on wood, my wife and I are doing relatively OK, and don't have problems making payments on our two wonderful Alfa Romeos!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Engi, Have you shopped around to see what $23k will get you if you decide to buy another vehicle? I will face the same dilemma at the end of my lease in 2023. It seems like nothing in that price range could compare to your low mileage well, maintained GIULIA.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter #35 (Edited)
Engi, Have you shopped around to see what $23k will get you if you decide to buy another vehicle? I will face the same dilemma at the end of my lease in 2023. It seems like nothing in that price range could compare to your low mileage well, maintained GIULIA.
We've been looking at off-lease Giulias and Stelvios and both look like outrageously good deals for what they are, provided you have a decent dealer nearby and your number one concern isn't resale value down the line. I likely wouldn't be able to buy a used Giulia with the equipment I want in the condition I want for less than $30K so the value of my vehicle is definitely there. You can also get a Mopar warranty for 8 years / 75K miles for like 1500 bucks, which eases a lot of the anxiety for not much money. All in, it's probably worth it just to drive something that's still so unusual for a little while (or maybe a lot) longer and I'm not sure I will physically be able to part with it, even if I wanted to.

The hardest part for us though has been running the projected ownership costs. Every way we slice it, buying a Tesla saves us money compared to Alfa's not trivial fuel and maintenance costs as the JB4 has my 2.0L Giulia getting ~20 mpg average. We have no illusions about the company though. Tesla has the worst build quality, paint quality, and customer service of any car company currently operating, by a long shot. You see them everywhere and they're not particularly good looking. People that drive them are often smug, brainwashed ass hats. The driver assistance tech is finicky and actually quite dangerous. Zero smartphone integration. Each of the doors is a slightly different shade of your chosen color. And oh, hey, Elon. But at the end of the day, you can drive a Tesla for 3 years, have something resembling fun running $400 a year in electrons through it, and sell it privately if you want for not much less than you paid. We ran the numbers and even with the charger install and higher insurance, we end up well in the black compared to the Alfa. Very much a head vs heart thing. The kid in me is saying to just buy and keep the Alfa and hold out for the Cybertruck. Getting to choose between a slinky Italian saloon and an electric dumpster-lorean every morning seems like a fun way to start the day.

·
Registered
102 Posts
The 2-year lease on my ‘18 Ti Sport Q4 Performance ended yesterday. I bought out the lease. My car has only done 7700 miles (due to a change in my commute, Covid, and other cars) and I’m a bit crazy, so the car is immaculate. It was a pretty easy decision — I love the car. The lease was through Ally, and I ended up buying out the lease through my dealer, who has been great. About Ally, my experience with customer service was truly awful, but I did get a buyout quote from them that was a few hundred dollars lower than my residual, so trying to negotiate a buyout might be worth a try. That said, the call with customer service was so unbelievably aggravating that it may not be worth it, and I’m not at all convinced the number I was quoted would have been the actual final number.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I also tried to negotiate with Ally, the person I talked to was down right rude when I asked for a mutually beneficial adjustment of the buyout.... I told the dealer what my number would be if they wanted to buy it.. they did and put it on the lot for about 2k under the buyout price... so I know Ally took a beating and I'm fine with that... lol but the price was too high for me since it was a MY 2017, I found a nice 2019 for a few grand over what the buyout would have been.. works for me...

·
Registered
382 Posts
I have 15 months left, but I’m strongly leaning toward buying it out at that time. I didn’t buy the car because it’s economical, so why should paying an extra $2000 or whatever, really matter? To me, it is the devil I know (that has been near perfect) and wanting the leather dash with natural walnut. I doubt I’ll find the car I want and then I’d just be settling to save some money or drive an inferior car. Of course, something could go wrong in 15 months, so that will certainly be a factor.

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
That was my point earlier when I said if you really want to buy your car, track your VIN to pop back up on the market and if you like the price, buy it then.
they did and put it on the lot for about 2k under the buyout price... so I know Ally took a beating and I'm fine with that...

21 - 40 of 41 Posts