Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for some advice. My new Giulia has led me to fall in love with driving again, and I want to learn to be a better driver. Does anyone here have any recommendations for how I can take the first steps? I've looked around for performance driving schools in southeast Michigan and not found much of anything. I'm considering perhaps going to this http://www.motorsportreg.com/events/detroit-scca-autocross-school-schoolcraft-pstc-653274 to learn how to autocross but am concerned about the insurance implications.

I've never done any racing of any kind and frankly I'm not all that interested in the competitive aspect of it....I just want to learn how to drive my car closer to its limits.

Any help or suggestions are much appreciated!

·
Registered
‘19 Giulia Ti Sport Q4
3,887 Posts

·
Registered
316 Posts
I don't even know if this is possible, but it is worth a try. Maserati dealers sometimes get slots where they give their customers a couple of days with company drivers at a regional track. Since Alfa and Maserati are now so closely related you may be able to beg one of those slots. It depends on your dealer. One dealer I talked to would never do it, but the one I bought from might try to get me a spot. My dealer is a combo Maserati/Alfa dealership, so that would help. They had four slots last year. There was one day of classroom and one day of track.

This may or may not be something they will do for their Alfa customers, but it seems worth an ask.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
@a2alfaguy, did you see the Car Control Clinic at the South Bend Tire Rack facility on May 6th? It’s the one where @TiSpdDmn is instructing, so maybe he can offer some Giulia-specific insights.

https://www.motorsportreg.com/event...ire-rack-test-track-bmw-cca-motor-city-975304

I’m hoping to head down for that; it’s the day after the A2 meetup, so I’ve got to get clearance from my wife for an all car weekend yet, but maybe we could caravan down together if you’re interested.
This looks like exactly what I was looking for. Similarly need to get "wife approval" but very interested. Thank you.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I don't even know if this is possible, but it is worth a try. Maserati dealers sometimes get slots where they give their customers a couple of days with company drivers at a regional track. Since Alfa and Maserati are now so closely related you may be able to beg one of those slots. It depends on your dealer. One dealer I talked to would never do it, but the one I bought from might try to get me a spot. My dealer is a combo Maserati/Alfa dealership, so that would help. They had four slots last year. There was one day of classroom and one day of track.

This may or may not be something they will do for their Alfa customers, but it seems worth an ask.
Love this idea too. Where is your dealership? Not sure we can find one in SE Michigan willing to do this.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Love this idea too. Where is your dealership? Not sure we can find one in SE Michigan willing to do this.
My dealer relationships are complicated, haha. It involved Maserati of Cary (NC) initially and then their partner Alfa Romeo/Maserati of Annapolis Md. The slots last year were in Atlanta.

I think the trick is in simply knowing these slots exist so you can start begging. :)

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
@a2alfaguy, did you see the Car Control Clinic at the South Bend Tire Rack facility on May 6th? It’s the one where @TiSpdDmn is instructing, so maybe he can offer some Giulia-specific insights.

https://www.motorsportreg.com/event...ire-rack-test-track-bmw-cca-motor-city-975304

I’m hoping to head down for that; it’s the day after the A2 meetup, so I’ve got to get clearance from my wife for an all car weekend yet, but maybe we could caravan down together if you’re interested.
@chaadster, I am going to definitely go to this. Signing up today. Thanks for letting me know about it.

·
Premium Member
2,086 Posts
I'm a subscriber to the track day learning, my previous experience in Europe is "oh off you go on your own" and like the HPDE instructor led, teaches you a heck of a lot especially about your driving style and your car. I like Chin too (I know they do some in your area and sit at the same price as most $50 for a year) and if you want to take that 10 hour drive.. another bump for LRP in May ;)

·
Registered
‘19 Giulia Ti Sport Q4
3,887 Posts
@chaadster, I am going to definitely go to this. Signing up today. Thanks for letting me know about it.
My wife got back from a trip last night, so I’ll be able to get some plans confirmed today.

Relatedly, the M1 Concourse up in Pontiac is supposed to launch a performance driving school soon, so keep an eye on that. I haven’t spoken to them for more info, only seen the website:

https://m1concourse.com/driving-schools/m1-high-performance-driving-school/

Reactions: a2alfaguy

·
Registered
53 Posts
It would be great to have a contingent of local Alfa enthusiasts go out to the BMWCCA Car Control Clinic! I'll be instructing and signed my wife up to do it again (she doesn't know it yet, though! haha).

Also consider the BMWCCA's Friday HPDE (high performance driving school) at Waterford Hills. Considering that the Giulia is basically what the present-day 3-series SHOULD be, I say that they should all be welcomed into the BMWCCA with open arms ;)
https://www.motorsportreg.com/event...-bmwcca-may-25-2018-bmw-cca-motor-city-023807

Props to you, @a2alfaguy, for pursuing more advanced driver education!

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks @TiSpdDmn! I'm looking forward to meeting you (twice) in May. I'm going to come to the Michigan meetup and I'm also signed up for the TireRack event where you are instructing.

I had a friend who is an experienced Autocross driver drive my Giulia yesterday. I think he shortened my tread life and my brake pad life by about 20% in 10 mins of driving. It was a lot of fun....and I have a LOT to learn!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts