Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Question, has anyone brake torqued up to about 2,5 k and the car kind of bogs? I have the widest tires 255 , and the tallest wheel 19 available on the 2.0 t . Launching at only 2k and the car takes off nicely , still no rocket out of the gate, when break torquing , at what RPMS do you launch it at? and which size tires hook up the best?

·
Registered
2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia Q4
437 Posts
Stock I would launch as close to 3.5k as I could. After the tune I still spin/hop at anything over 3k. I’m still trying to find the sweet spot after my tune. Stock rims and tires for me.

·
Registered
2019 Giulia Ti Q2, Performance Pack
2,766 Posts
Q4 can launch at pretty much any rpm it could if it weren't for throttle cut. The higher the rpm the better.

Q2 if i launch over 2200rpm on pirelli summers or ps4s i get too much spin.

·
Registered
486 Posts
It could be my imagination, but I felt like the few times I was working on launching, I got better results if I brake torqued and released in one smooth motion. If I let the revs hang at 3K for any length of time before dumping it, it felt like the car kind of waits for an extra half second versus releasing as soon as it hits 3K.

·
Registered
2019 Giulia Ti Q2, Performance Pack
2,766 Posts
It could be my imagination, but I felt like the few times I was working on launching, I got better results if I brake torqued and released in one smooth motion. If I let the revs hang at 3K for any length of time before dumping it, it felt like the car kind of waits for an extra half second versus releasing as soon as it hits 3K.
Definitely agree its great to release on the upswing in one quick and deliberate motion.

If you hold at an rpm too long you will get throttle cut from the brake vs throttle safety.

·
Registered
2018 Q4 with Fiamenghi Ti exhaust, Race Mod, and Tecnico wheels.
8,147 Posts
I seem to remember someone saying that the trick is to bring the RPM up to about 3000 but NOT give it full throttle as the brake is released. This is to avoid the nannies kicking in. If you have race mod installed that advice might need to be altered.

I missed my best opportunity to make a bunch of dragy runs on the highway through my property. The road was closed for a murder investigation, but I was allowed through to get to my house. Furthermore every officer in the area was involved in dealing with the investigation and enforcement of the road closure. Unfortunately it snowed the night before and there was still ice and grit on the road, plus the alignment of my car was way off <sigh>. 4 lanes, nearly flat, freshly paved, temps between 25 and 35F.

·
Registered
2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia Q4
437 Posts
Shoot! Sorry to hear that. Do you want to share the story?
I was stopped on the on ramp waiting for traffic on the freeway to clear. I was about to do a 1/4 mile run when I saw a car coming behind me. I hit the hazard lights and the car didn’t go around. I noticed it had flashing lights behind it, so I slowly drove on the shoulder. After getting clear of the freeway he hit the lights. He asked why I was stopped on the on ramp and I let him know my check engine e light came on and I was going to limp it home. Didn’t help with Alfa’s reputation but it helped me avoid a ticket. He was a good guy.

Glad I didn’t launch... probably would have had a night in jail if I ran a 1/4 in front of him.

·
Registered
'17 Ti Sport Q4 w/ Active Shocks & LSD
815 Posts
agree... watching tach, as it goes > 2,500-2,700 still climbing revs, and I lift off of the brake smoothly, gives me a 1.2g launch. Rev to max of 3,200 rpm and/or side slipping (dumping) brake pedal bogs the 2.0 motor and I don't exceed a 1g launch.

Race mode I use mid-Firm (white) adaptive shock setting. Less wheel hop and barely spins with good Michelin P4S rubber on a warm day. I have a square 235R40 19 setup.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Sounds like the traction control is kicking in
My 17 RWD does the same i's fastest when it's at 2 or so
It's kind of slow rite off the line

·
Registered
'17 Ti Sport Q4 w/ Active Shocks & LSD
815 Posts
RDNA Race mode disabled ESC including traction control. Probably engine or ZF8 torque converter protections in action.

I get a bit of wheelspin... maybe it's more than i think. Slowmo GoPro is probably a good diagnostic. Revving against the brake isn't any too subtle, eh?

·
Registered
323 Posts
These stories remind me of a time I was riding my CBR900RR,probably 1998, stopped at a toll booth.
Thought I would air of 3 gears, didn't see the cop on the right.
So I redlined a few over bridge ( Vincent Thomas in port of L.A.) and let off, coming down the other side of the bridge I noticed lights behind me.
So I pulled over and waited.
With in a couple minutes 3 cop cars were all around me.
Cop bets out of his car all hyped out, I thought you were running ! he said, no just airing out the bike I say.
Do you know how fast you were going he asked ? No I said (150) I don't either ?
So there were 3 cops and myself pulled over and we started shooting the breeze.
They asked why I was so calm, just out for a ride I say.
Long story short he wrote me up for 95 and we parted ways.
It was an interesting day!

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Question, has anyone brake torqued up to about 2,5 k and the car kind of bogs? I have the widest tires 255 , and the tallest wheel 19 available on the 2.0 t . Launching at only 2k and the car takes off nicely , still no rocket out of the gate, when break torquing , at what RPMS do you launch it at? and which size tires hook up the best?
Every time I launch at 3k , the car simply bogs, around 2 k offers the best run, but even at that speed , very little boost is available, I also have probably to much wheel and tire for the amount of power that I have, 255 on 19s.

·
Premium Member
849 Posts
Can anyone video their launch technique? I'm trying to nail down my 60' time to 1.8s. can't get anything better than 1.93 and that's in race mode. In D in at 1.95.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts