Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'll be picking up my new Q4 Ti Sport on Friday and I want to ensure that the dealer has installed the latest software version. Can someone tell me what the latest version is? (I'd suggest a sticky for this -- either here in the General discussion or in the electronics sub). Apologies if this is out there somewhere....haven't found.

·
Registered
‘19 Giulia Ti Sport Q4
3,887 Posts
I think the latest versions are, for MV- and TV-, 056.000.007. It's hard-to-impossible to know, though, from what I understand, because software updates are only done if you're reporting a problem, so apparently it's not as though you can go in to dealers and just get a software update.

If an RRT (rapid response something-or-other) is issued for a specific problem and calling for a specific software update then you can an update that way, too.

I've not sought software updates, not needed to have an RRT completed, nor been in for service, so I'm not reporting based on personal experience, but rather what I've been able to glean from looking into the matters here on the forum. It seems kind of strange there is not a formal, regular update process-- my '16 Ford Edge does auto system updates over wifi when it's connected at home-- but perhaps there's a good reason for it, perhaps not.

Reactions: a2alfaguy

·
Registered
2018 Q4 with Fiamenghi Ti exhaust, Race Mod, and Tecnico wheels.
7,930 Posts
I've not sought software updates, not needed to have an RRT completed, nor been in for service, so I'm not reporting based on personal experience, but rather what I've been able to glean from looking into the matters here on the forum. It seems kind of strange there is not a formal, regular update process-- my '16 Ford Edge does auto system updates over wifi when it's connected at home-- but perhaps there's a good reason for it, perhaps not.
I can think of 3 problems with over-the-air updates:

1) You may get into the car in the morning and discover that it's behavior is different, without any warning. This apparently is a regular occurrence for Tesla owners.

2) The car may be subject to hacking. Just to compound this, the US legal system has ruled that it is illegal for third parties to test the security of these systems. This ruling came on the heels of some college students demonstrating that a Jeep could be hacked and made to behave in a dangerous fashion.

3) What happens when the manufacturers determine that they can generate revenue by selling ad time? Car won't start until the ad has played out, can you imagine? It is a logical next step though and is likely to be way worse in an autonomous car.

·
Registered
‘19 Giulia Ti Sport Q4
3,887 Posts
I can think of 3 problems with over-the-air updates:

1) You may get into the car in the morning and discover that it's behavior is different, without any warning. This apparently is a regular occurrence for Tesla owners.

2) The car may be subject to hacking. Just to compound this, the US legal system has ruled that it is illegal for third parties to test the security of these systems. This ruling came on the heels of some college students demonstrating that a Jeep could be hacked and made to behave in a dangerous fashion.

3) What happens when the manufacturers determine that they can generate revenue by selling ad time? Car won't start until the ad has played out, can you imagine? It is a logical next step though and is likely to be way worse in an autonomous car.
All good points, and yes, sadly, I can imagine ads playing in cars, but I will never accept it, that’d be a bridge too far. I sincerely pray we don’t get to that point.

When I said I didn’t know if there was good reason though, I was not referring to wifi updates, but rather the absence of a regular update protocol by Alfa for the Giulia system. There is no official mechanism for owners to check if their software is up-to-date, and outside of software updates mandated by RRT’s, software updates are not given unless the owner has a problem. That’s what I’ve lbeen able to understand of the situation based on what has been reported here.

·
Registered
5,130 Posts
MV-002.009.043
TV-002.009.043

are the latest version for a QV. not sure if the Base & Ti cars are different when it comes to these items...
I know that the cars have had some TSB & RRTs that were model specific

·
Registered
876 Posts
MV-002.009.043
TV-002.009.043

are the latest version for a QV. not sure if the Base & Ti cars are different when it comes to these items...
They did update on my ti rwd with mv-002.008.041 tv-002.008.041

·
Registered
‘19 Giulia Ti Sport Q4
3,887 Posts
MV-002.009.043
TV-002.009.043

They did update on my ti rwd with mv-002.008.041 tv-002.008.041
You guys aren't running MY18 cars, are you? There are different software versions between MY16/17 and MY18, it appears, probably related to the CarPlay and Android auto feature.

·
Registered
5,130 Posts
You guys aren't running MY18 cars, are you? There are different software versions between MY16/17 and MY18, it appears, probably related to the CarPlay and Android auto feature.
I have a 2017 QV, one of the first in the country (dec. 2016 delivery)..no such animal as a MY16 in the USA...so this is the current software for a QV as was confirmed by our resident "insider" @MacGeek.

·
Registered
‘19 Giulia Ti Sport Q4
3,887 Posts
I have a 2017 QV, one of the first in the country (dec. 2016 delivery)..no such animal as a MY16 in the USA...so this is the current software for a QV as was confirmed by our resident "insider" @MacGeek.
It's your understanding that all QV model years could run the same software (MV and TV)? I'm surprised if so, based on the exploration and reporting done in the various threads regarding CarPlay/AndroidAuto.

·
Registered
5,130 Posts
It's your understanding that all QV model years could run the same software (MV and TV)? I'm surprised if so, based on the exploration and reporting done in the various threads regarding CarPlay/AndroidAuto.
I didn't say that, in fact I bet with all that new techno stuff you mentioned their software version should be different...in fact I mentioned that what I have is the current software for a MY17 QV, It could be different for Base/Ti Giulia's for certain....just like not all RRTs & TSBs applied to all models, many were model specific
my car does not have those features carplay/android were not important to me....I still use a Blackberry LOL

·
Registered
‘19 Giulia Ti Sport Q4
3,887 Posts
I didn't say that, in fact I bet with all that new techno stuff you mentioned their software version should be different...in fact I mentioned that what I have is the current software for a MY17 QV, It could be different for Base/Ti Giulia's for certain....just like not all RRTs & TSBs applied to all models, many were model specific
my car does not have those features carplay/android were not important to me....I still use a Blackberry LOL
It's all in the details, isn't it?

Which brings us back to what I said in post #2 above: for the OP's incoming '18 Ti Q4, I think the current software is 056.000.007.

·
Registered
‘19 Giulia Ti Sport Q4
3,887 Posts
2017 QV - just had my 10k service done. Took two days to do the software updates.
Was the software update part of the 10k service schedule, did you ask for the software update, or did you have any TSBs or RRTs which called for it?

Reactions: jaltito

·
Registered
‘19 Giulia Ti Sport Q4
3,887 Posts
hmm, i have a 2018 ti sport that i picked up 5 days ago, apparently build date is 07/17

MV-051.008.004
TV-051.008.004
Same as mine. - 2018 Ti Sport - Build Date 11/17
Can either of you run CarPlay or AndroidAuto? It has been reported here that only the 056 versions can.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Just got my 2018 Giulia Ti Sport AWD today ! Build date was 12/17. I asked dealer to insure latest software updates were done before delivery and he assured me that was done. Both software versions are 056.000.007. My car does have Carplay. Was amazed when I plugged in my iPhone, everything just worked, no pairing needed...

·
Registered
‘19 Giulia Ti Sport Q4
3,887 Posts
Apple CarPlay is installed and works on my Giulia.
Wow...it seems you have both an exceptionally late build date for that version, and a version which hasn’t done CarPlay doing CarPlay! Interesting... I wonder if CA market cars are more like EU market than USA market? Does Canada get motor choices in Giulia?

EDIT: Ah, I just realized that 051.008.04 is the software that @paul49 has on his 7/17 build MY18 with ACP, so I was wrong about that version not supporting CarPlay. I wonder if 051 and 056 versions might mark the end of at-port updates and the start of ACP being factory installed? If the Dec. 11 ‘17 date oft cited as the start of factory installation of ACP is correct, that’s at least a couple of parts of the puzzle which align...

1 - 20 of 70 Posts