Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 81 Posts

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone in the LV region want to meet and have a morning drive?! Chime in with suggestion dates, canyon drives destination, etc. I see Giulia and Stelvio in the SW area all the time. Let’s make it happen!

·
Registered
2020 Giulia
702 Posts
I see lots of Stelvios in the Summerlin area for sure.

I’m down for a Mt Charleston run or Lake Mead Rec area to Valley of Fire maybe.

@kevininsimi, what are your thoughts?

An actual run somewhere would require a weekend for me. Meet up for coffee or lunch, I can be much more flexible.

Anyone else like Magnum Coffee on Sunset just across from McCarren?

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I see lots of Stelvios in the Summerlin area for sure.

I’m down for a Mt Charleston run or Lake Mead Rec area to Valley of Fire maybe.

@kevininsimi, what are your thoughts?

An actual run somewhere would require a weekend for me. Meet up for coffee or lunch, I can be much more flexible.

Anyone else like Magnum Coffee on Sunset just across from McCarren?
Weekend morning will be great. Let’s set a date and time just post location of meet.

·
Registered
2020 Giulia
702 Posts
Any preferred driving roads? Obviously saw your Red Rock Canyon run. 😉 That is a little short though if just going from Blue Diamond to Charleston. Could combine that with a cruise down the strip too though.

I’m down for whatever.

·
Registered
2019 Alfa Romeo Giulia Quadrifoglio
49 Posts
I’d be game for anything really! My schedule tends to change on a weekly basis. Weekends, particularly during the summer months can be really busy at my job. However, with some coordination I can definitely pull something off!

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I haven’t really done a lot of runs in this city. I’m not all familiar with canyon runs here if there are any. For a city full of mountains it’s hard to believe there aren’t any great canyon drives. I’ll ask around or maybe even google some back roads that I’m not aware off. VOF is ok but the roads going there is crap. BTW I hate the strip :p

·
Registered
2020 Giulia
702 Posts
Kyle Canyon through to Lee Canyon is a popular one (Mt. Charleston). VoF would have to be through the Lake Mead Rec Area IMO otherwise it is quite drab.

Other than Red Rock through Blue Diamond I’m not aware of any great driving roads other than Kyle/Lee canyon… at least ones that are not dirt.

The road to Nelson’s Landing is a decent drive SW of Boulder City. If you haven’t been it’s a popular photo spot. Lots of old cars and gas pumps next to old buildings in the desert.

Kyle to Lee Canyon

Red Rock

Old Nelson’s Landing

Lake areas Rec Area Loop (fee area)

Just some ideas. Definitely open for anything better.

·
Registered
2020 Giulia
702 Posts
Having difficulty getting to show up on maps but it’s Northshore Rd that you can take all the way to Valley of Fire. When I went with my family we took that route there and it was not a bad driving road at all.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Awesome suggestions! Can we do spirited driving in any of those roads? Hehe! We don’t have to decide now but that road going to VOF sounds good. Let’s decide on a date first so it will work for everyone. Then decide on what road to tackle. Any date for me will work as long as it’s in the morning. I work nights but I can be up early for the drive.

·
Registered
2020 Giulia
702 Posts
I’ll try to map out the northshore rd so you guys can see it. It is a fee area… maybe $15?? Always have my daughter with Spina Bifida with me and she has an Access Pass so I’m not sure what it costs without but it isn’t terrible.

How much time would you have and how early is early for you?

There and back Valley of Fire is probably 45 min each way from Lake Made entrance if I remember correctly. You’ll have Rangers running radar and expect to pass one or two out there. Decent opportunities to pass.

Charleston is off Kyle Canyon exit from the 95. Probably 30 minutes if you’re bombing to 95 where it connects with Lee. Realistically count on 45 min due to inevitable traffic. Nowhere To pass really either but lots of pull outs for photos. Not many passing opportunities. Busy road with other people driving. Lots of bikes in the morning and occasional cyclists who don’t understand doing 25 in a 45 makes them criminals in my eyes. You’ll see LVMPD and rarely NHP. Usually see them on the Kyle Canyon road leading up to the mountain

Nelson’s Landing is shorter run. You do go through one “out there” residential area should definitely slow down for. There and back probably 35-40 minutes from the turn off from 95. Only been out there once and didn’t see any LE. Lots of pull offs for OHVs and will see them on/crossing road.

Red Rock is probably the shortest distance wise. Blue Diamond to Charleston I’m guessing 15 minutes. I’m sure everyone has done at least that drive.

Some thinking out loud there…

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Nice, early for me can be 6-7am. All sounds good 45 min drive sounds good we don’t have to haul @$$ every time. Driving through scenery is more than cool. I have a park pass to anywhere so no problem for me.

let’s start thinking date give a chance for everyone to join and see the post. Maybe more will join later on.

·
Registered
2020 Giulia
702 Posts
Sounds good to me. Saturdays are generally going to better than Sunday. Could look to a month out, maybe September 18?

What about you @kevininsimi? Any input? Would budget 2 hours from the gate to the VoF entrance and back is that’s what you were thinking.

I know a guy with a (I think) Alfa 169 who may want to join too. He has expressed interest in starting a local Alfa Romeo club if that’s something we decide we’d like to do down the road (maybe getting ahead of myself here - we could all hate each other offline 😂)

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
:ROFLMAO: The more the merrier. Saturday the 18th @ 7am sounds good. Can’t wait! Let’s hope the thread picks up.

·
Registered
2020 Giulia
702 Posts
Say we meet at Albertsons located at:

1008 Nevada Way
Boulder City, NV 89005

Probably easiest spot with a large parking lot. Should be pretty empty at that time.

·
Registered
2020 Giulia
702 Posts
Also to add…

Northshore Rd hooks up with Lakeshore Dr just East of Lake Las Vegas. No access from there that I am aware of, but you drive behind the retaining wall for the lake. Kind of weird seeing the lake to your side then dipping down and knowing you’re below the water level looking at the wall they built up…

You could take the road all the way to Moapa if so inclined. I think the turnoff for Valley of Fire is probably good though. You can follow the road on a map and see it does wind and turn a bit. It is popular for motorcycles. Lost a friend to an accident there a few months back. Will want to watch out for riders, but we will be the ones slowing them down.

·
Registered
2019 Alfa Romeo Giulia Quadrifoglio
49 Posts
I won’t be able to make 9/18 work as I’ll be out of town but the plan sounds good to me!

·
Registered
2020 Giulia
702 Posts
Is there another date that is preferable for you?

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
If all else fails there is this…. I’ll be in Cali Oct 1 and race Oct 2

·
Registered
2020 Giulia
702 Posts
If all else fails there is this…. I’ll be in Cali Oct 1 and race Oct 2 View attachment 114693
That looks like a blast, but I have other plans that weekend unfortunately. Price is definitely right on that! I bet you will have a blast in your QV.

Is there another weekend that you would like to do the VoF run? If you’re not interested, no worries. You will just be dead to me is all. 😂

1 - 20 of 81 Posts