Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have my new ‘18 Ti. Pretty awesome so far with the exception of a few cosmetic things my dealer is fixing. I have the package with lane departure and ACC. While the ACC works I realized the lane departure has never worked. I’ve ensured the setting are on in the infotainment system. Am I missing something? Even the blind spot system works just fine.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Press the button on the end of the turn signal stalk to activate or deactivate lane departure. I leave mine off. The stalk on the passenger side of the steering column. Funny, cant remember if that is the turn indicator side or washer.

·
Registered
573 Posts
Turn signal. The wipper side is to scroll through the center display screens.

Reactions: Vivaldi

·
Registered
110 Posts
The first time it went off when I got the car I had no idea what it was and thought I ran over the rumble strip or something on the road. Freaked me out. It has been off since day 2.

Reactions: LBAlphaQV

·
Registered
316 Posts
Lane departure warning is one of the most annoying sounds ever.
I don't find it particularly annoying. I'm pretty sure it is supposed to sound like a rumble strip, which makes perfect sense. You can turn the volume down.

Personally I do not use it because I don't always drive in the exact center of the lane and it often goes off when nothing bad is happening.

·
Registered
859 Posts
Nearly everything that I am reading here confirms my decision of leaving the lane departure warning option off the car that I ordered was a good choice. I did include the the "Forward Collision Plus" option and starting to wish that i had saved the money on that as well. It's pretty annoying to have it start beeping every time I park the car in my garage. Luckily, there is a switch to defeat this noise, just above the other switch that I always turn off (the automatic engine stop/start).

Reactions: RyanC883

·
Registered
2019 Rosso Competizione Stelvio Ti Sport Nero Edizione
653 Posts
@neiltyme , you can tell if you've turned it on if you look at your center instrument cluster and see a vehicle with a parallel line along either side of it. The lines on each side will appear and disappear as the car detects a lane marker. Sometimes you'll see one, sometimes you'll see two.

And BTW, the sound is supposed to be annoying. Its main purposes is to alert drivers who may be nodding off or getting distracted.
I keep mine off about 95% of the time. The only time I turn it on is when I'm going on a long trip when I think there is a chance I may get drowsy.

·
Registered
2018 Q4 with Fiamenghi Ti exhaust, Race Mod, and Tecnico wheels.
8,181 Posts
I turn my lane departure warning on or off according to the situation. If I am driving on the freeway I find the lane departure to be a useful reminder to pay attention. If I am driving on a patched up secondary road I turn it off due to excessive false alarms.

I was pleasantly surprised that I did not get any false collision indications on Sonora Pass road.

I have seen some strange behavior with the adaptive cruise control: on a 0.3g or so left hand turn on US-395 with a rock wall on the outside of the turn the car slows down by about 5MPH. Could be ESC or traction control fighting with ACC, I do not know. I just find it strange for the car to slow down in the middle of a smooth sweeper.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Nearly everything that I am reading here confirms my decision of leaving the lane departure warning option off the car that I ordered was a good choice. I did include the the "Forward Collision Plus" option and starting to wish that i had saved the money on that as well. It's pretty annoying to have it start beeping every time I park the car in my garage. Luckily, there is a switch to defeat this noise, just above the other switch that I always turn off (the automatic engine stop/start).
Forward collision plus isn’t why your car is beeping when you park. That’s the parking sensors. Forward collision plus is for situations like you’re not paying attention and the guy in front of you slams on their brakes. For me, it’s a must have. My wife doesn’t usually drive my car, but when she does, it’s good to know it will help reduce a collision if she isn’t paying attention. If you don’t brake, the car will brake for you if it senses an imminent crash to help prevent or minimize impact. It also pre-loads the brakes so you don’t have to mash the brake to get a full “panic stop”.

·
Registered
630 Posts
For the first few weeks every time it alerted my toddler in the back seat would ask me, "What's that noise?" And I'd explain it was the lane departure warning system. My wife and I used to laugh about it because he'd say it in this really cute voice all the time.

I am a turn signal fanatic and use them 100% of the time but even I found the sensitivity on "early" to be too much. So now I have it on "late" and rarely ever hear it anymore.

·
Registered
859 Posts
Forward collision plus isn’t why your car is beeping when you park. That’s the parking sensors. Forward collision plus is for situations like you’re not paying attention and the guy in front of you slams on their brakes. For me, it’s a must have. My wife doesn’t usually drive my car, but when she does, it’s good to know it will help reduce a collision if she isn’t paying attention. If you don’t brake, the car will brake for you if it senses an imminent crash to help prevent or minimize impact. It also pre-loads the brakes so you don’t have to mash the brake to get a full “panic stop”.
Thanks for the clarification Djseto. My Fwd Collision Plus hasn't needed to brake for me yet, but there was one instance where the car in front slammed on the brakes and I heard a fairly loud warning sound which alerted me and I applied brakes myself. I'm assuming that it pre-loaded the brakes. I need to check the settings on this as I know it can be disabled, alert only, or alert plus brakes. I want to make sure that will indeed apply the brakes, just in case that I'm not paying full attention.

·
Registered
82 Posts
I’ve had it bark at me but never brake for me. These systems have gotten smarter over the years so they don’t brake then they shouldn’t. The jury is out on if they always brake when they should though. I’ve never had the guts to test it so I’ll assume it does. The system in my wife’s jeep does brake when reversing with cross traffic alert in addition to forward collision. I set up a box behind her jeep and tried so hard back into it and it wouldn’t let me. I wish our rear cross traffic did that as well.

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
Solution: Stay in the lane and signal before you start your turn. I think you are suppose to turn that on a certain distance before you approach your turn if so it the warning won't sound. If that is a problem, don't use it. I find it useful. The first trip it kept going off and my husband was in the passenger seat. Then we switched and it went off on him. I tend to hug the left and he hugs the right. That was our first drive. We are now more aware. We wish we had one in our truck.

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
You know I have been driving this car for a year. I always have lane departure on and for the most part I just get in the car and drive and enjoy. iTouch is the only thing I screw around with. Well suddenly I realized that the lane departure was not going off anymore. I have a service scheduled for tomorrow to have them look at that along with my whole door trim and window molding needs to be replaced and perform an annual service. Well, I decided I would just see if anyone else had the lane departure failing to alert. Voila. I tried the button and now I see the car. I think I was only seeing dots. It is raining now so she is stuck in the garage so I can't test it. Although a good fresh rain may do her good I don't have time to dry her off properly.

Thanks for the old post. I think either the other driver may have hit the button, service techs the last time she was in or maybe it still isn't working but I did not know that button turned it on and off. Even after a year I am still familiarizing myself with this. Really all I really want to do in the QV is to drive it. I do like the safety features and the chimes are better than fighting with the steering wheel on the other car that tries to correct you. Now that is annoying. You turn that one off and you don't get the chime. Rather have the Buzz than the steering wheel taking over.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I had to turn mine off. The highway outside my neighborhood is under construction (SH 288 for Houston area guys) and there are so many old lanes, new lanes, ground off stripes, etc. that the lane departure system is hopelessly lost.

·
Registered
5,219 Posts
The first time it went off when I got the car I had no idea what it was and thought I ran over the rumble strip or something on the road. Freaked me out. It has been off since day 2.
my wife actually thought I passed gas :grin2::crying:
shut it off and haven't used it since....:wink2:

·
Registered
501 Posts
After the ua4 recall the FCW seems to be a bit more sensitive, warning me much more often than it did before. I had to set it back to late, but it still alerts more often than ever. I want it on but not to freak out on me all the time.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Thank you, thank you, thank you.... I thought I was having one of those infotainment gremlins... was ready to go to the dealer for a software update which I might have them do anyway when I go in for next service, infotainment will reboot itself on occasion for which there are some related threads.... thanks again...

1 - 20 of 21 Posts